What tracking system is this?

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2007, 08:49 AM
Rince
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tracking system is this?

Lo peeps,

A few weeks ago there was a TV show on that showed a Tracker system that I would like more info on.

It seems you have a fob you carry around and if the car gets driven away from the fob, it gradually loses power, until it eventually just cuts out altogether. I think they managed to get about a mile away before this happened.

Has anyone heard anything about this system?

Ta,

Andy
Old 16 February 2007, 08:55 AM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Not sure mate, but If I had it, I'd have to keep walking back home for the fob. lol
Old 16 February 2007, 01:29 PM
al-g
Scooby Regular

I seen this too but can't remember the name of the company. Theyr'e based in Bolton coz the EVO they were testing died on the A666. It was on BBC1.
Old 16 February 2007, 01:58 PM
Rince
Scooby Regular

That's the one. Just need to find out who they are now... And you know you would never have more than a mile to walk back for the fob

The car doesnt die instantly, so if u do forget it, then you can drive back and get it. Its the further away you get to about a max of 1 mile then it dies altogether.

Great idea imho!
Old 16 February 2007, 05:01 PM
Jesus H
Scooby Regular

Most of the new Cat5's will have a similar system to this BUT it's a big can of worms at the moment because:....

If the car was to lose power and this then caused the car to run over and kill an innocent bystander, the poor persons family would probably be able to take you to court. Don't you just love the UK justice system.

There is a bit of an insurance who-ha about it just now. RBS (who now own tracker) have stopped work on their new range of Cat5 systems because, as one of the UK's largest insurance companies(tesco's & directline anyone?), they can see a problem with the insurance status of such claims. They have now released a non-cat5 system which does the same thing but without the immobiliser part. You have to carry a tag around with you so that the car knows it's you. If you dont then Tracker call you to make sure that you know your cars on the move...