Notices

Tracker or 'Gap' insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2001, 08:03 PM
Obelix
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have recently bought a WRX & am thinking of having a Tracker Monitor fitted. I don't need one for my insurance, & the Subaru dealer put it to me that a tracker will recover the car but it could be in any sort of state.

He has tried to sell me some 'Gap' insurance for £400 that lasts 3 years. The idea is that this insurance bridges the gap between what the insurance co. would offer me after a write- off, as compared to the purchase price- & would top up the difference.

Ideally I would go for both, reallistically I only want to fork out for one. (Is tracker Monitor the best one to go for anyway?)

I would really appreciate some impartial advice.
Old 27 November 2001, 08:43 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation

I would tell your dealer that he is an AR$E

It's not just a question of just covering your potential "Gap" but also your entire insurance future. What's it gonna be come renewal time once you've had a car nicked? Added to which, it's raising the crime figures and your insurance in the future.

I'm incensed that you've had such cr@p advice from your dealer. He has definately not got your interests at heart & is solely interested in the nice commish he gets from the policy. His advice has not in the least been impartial

$h1t does happen & it might be that your car is stolen. However, you will have a higher chance of getting it back in one piece. Take other sensible precautions & you won't need to claim on either your gap insurance or your road insurance. You should also get a discount on your insurance in most cases.

Just my opinion by the way but I don't like the motives of your dealer [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 27 November 2001, 09:23 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the dealer is trying to make more money out of you by selling gap, i bought my new car from where i work and got gap for the cost price of £120.

It really is a good idea to take it out though if you do have your car on finance, so even if you write your car off and your insurance company pays out, the normal thing is the payout will be short of what you still owe on your finance so you will have to pay the difference out of your own pocket

Rob
Old 27 November 2001, 11:15 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Go for the Tracker.... dealer is having a larf...
Old 30 November 2001, 11:41 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shop around for trackers!
thats the best advice id give, and remember that subaru uk fit rac trackstar to their P1's and soon to the STI7's
There are alot of good systems out there (4 mins is the best ive heard for a P1 recovery!)
Talk to PTMW for nav trak

Tony
Old 01 December 2001, 09:40 PM
silverscoobports
Scooby Regular

gap protection is excellent but nothing to do with motor insurance and if you want a tracker go for one gap is a finance only product and will pick up a settlement figure shortfall in the case of a full insurance loss
have you considered vehicle asset/vehicle replacement which your dealer can provide it is a similar product to gap but you do not need to be a finance customer and will pay you the difference between what you originally paid for the car and an insurance payout which we all know would be less than you paid for the car if you want to know how these work let me know, ps shop around for gap you do not need to get it from your finance company