Notices

another alarm (clifford) question...sorry

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2006, 07:45 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another alarm (clifford) question...sorry

Firstly I have searched and read quite a lot of comments refering to Cifford alarms amongst others.

Now, the problem is that my current Scorpion Cat 1 Alarm that was fitted from new by the first owner (I have a cert. to prove it) is being a real pain ever since I pics the car up 4th hand.

One of the remotes is borken and the other remote is very tempremental as when you press the button to either unlock or lock the car, I have to press it a few times (something 3 or more times) for the alarm to lock or unlock. This is also the case with the panic button, but sometimes it works with just one press of the button. I have put a new battery and done what it says in the alarm manual.

P.s. I hate this alarm and I don't trust it!

So I want to get a new alarm fitted. Buget is up to £250 + fitting. So im going to need to get the old one removed for the new one to be fitted.

My car is an Impreza Sport My01 model so I am not going to need a fancy alarm.

I was either thinking about a Clifford xxxx or a Toad Ai606, but as I read on here that they are re-branded A-Lite alarms, I think I will got for a Clifford. Now I know Toad might be a very good make and alarm, but I don't really know much about them compared to a Clifford which I have pretty much known about ever since I was into cars.

Things I want from a alarm:
Lock and unlock the car
Panic button is always a good scarer
boot release
total closure?
Blackjax ?? not sure I would really need such a function

So what Clifford alarm?

Now from what I have read, if you are going to have an alarm esp. Clifford, make sure you have it fitted by an experienced clifford installer etc...

So who? I am in North Herts, Harpenden. Can someone recomend me company?

Sorry for the long thread post, but I have tried to explain myself what I wanted and not etc.

Thanks Darren
Old 03 October 2006, 10:25 AM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

Not exactly a Clifford response but the requirements you have put down there in your post could also be met (With the exception of Blackjax) by a Toad alarm system and these once again would also need to installed by a authorised installer only.

Just in case you did decide to go down the Toad route;

There are a range of Toad systems available that would both certainly meet and exceed these expectations including the Toad A101CL (Although this is not Thatcham approved) the Toad A201TC (Although this is not Thatcham approved), the AI606 (Thatcham Cat 1), C2 (Although this is not Thatcahm approved), the C3 (Although this is not Thatcham approved) and the C5T2 (Thatcham Cat 1). All of these systems offer full CDL (Central door locking) possibilities, they all offer a panic facility, they can all offer a boot release feature, the A201, C3, C5 and the AI606 can all offer total closure through the use of a dedicated accessory wire to the total closure wire on your vehcile (If already installed). If not the A101CL, the A201TC, the AI606, the C2, the C3, the C5T2 all have a negative armed output that can be used to trigger a seperate total closure unit that could also be installed onto your vehicle.

With this in mind if you would like any more information contact the Toad sales department on 0870 417 7795 and select option 3 and them give them your address details, in turn they will then tell you where your nearest Toad dealer is and you could take it from there.

Regards

Mike.N

N.B If you would like to know anymore specs on any of the Toad or Sigma product ranges just either reply to this thread or send me a PM.
Old 03 October 2006, 10:59 AM
MotorGuard
BANNED

With the budget you are working with your going to struggle to get all the features that you require. If you don't want blackjax then go for the Viper (Clifford's older brother ) 480xv, Its Cat 1 and comes with a LCD Pager remote. It also has 5 channels to add extras. You can always add extras at a later date. This alarm will cost you between £299 - £375.

www.motorguarduk.co.uk
Old 03 October 2006, 11:25 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks MikeyN and MotorGuard for your replys.

OK then Could you give me a little more info in Toad Ai606 as that was the toad alarm I was looking at before I thought about possible getting a Clifford.

PM me the details if you wish.

Thanks
Old 03 October 2006, 12:04 PM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
Thanks MikeyN and MotorGuard for your replys.

OK then Could you give me a little more info in Toad Ai606 as that was the toad alarm I was looking at before I thought about possible getting a Clifford.

PM me the details if you wish.

Thanks
Not a problem, here you go:

It is a Thatcham category 1 alarm and immobiliser security system with two 4 button radio keys (Anti Scan/Grab)
It has ultrasonic interior protection, which comprises of two sonics - 1 a transmitter and 1 a receiver, these are deletable if required, say leaving your windows down whilst leaving the rest of the alarm system armed.
It has perimeter protection, for the doors, boot and bonnet on your vehicle.
It has a 2 circuit immobiliser.
The immobiliser has a passive immobilisation feature, where by it will arm itself if the vehicle has not been started after 60 seconds after it has last been used.
The alarm system also has 2 features called auto arming where by the alarm system can automatically re-arm and re-lock your vehicle if required if you disarm the alarm system but then do not enter the vehicle, and it also has passive alarm arming where by it will start to arm the alarm when the vehicle has last been used, the ignition turned off and the vehicle vacated closing all of the door, boot and bonnet.
It gives indicator flashes on both arming, disarming and triggering.
It has short circuit protection circuitry within the product itself.
It has a tri-colour LED which flashes red, amber and green depending what status the alarm/immobiliser system is in at any given point.
It also has a self powered battery backup siren, which will continue to sound if the power supply is interrupted on the vehicle and the alarm is in an armed state.
It has the ability to inform you via the LED on the dash flashing back at you the cause of the last alarm trigger - this is the cross-referenced to a table in your user guide.
It has full CDL control to interface with the existing CDL set-up on your vehicle.
It has an armed neg output that can be used to control additional LED's, window closure modules etc.
It has accessory outputs for once again controlling total closure, boot release, headlamp illumination etc. (Relays and additional modules where necessary will be required to harness any of these outputs from the alarm system and these would be available at an additional cost).
A second siren output to trigger an additional siren, a pager or a Text alert module - (All additional modules) which can also text your existing mobile phone whenever the alarm system is triggered A VERY COOL FEATURE.
The interior light will illuminate on your vehicle for 25 seconds every time the alarm system is disarmed.
Selectable silent or sounding arming and disarming tones from the alarm.
A secure 4 digit pin override function, where by if all of your existing working radio keys become lost, stolen or damaged, can be used to disarm the alarm and/or immobiliser. Please note that if your radio keys were to be stolen they can be erased from the memory of the alarm system by your local Toad dealer and new ones can be programmed in, in their place.
A panic function is available to sound the alarm in the case of an emergency.
An ignition locking feature is programmable to automatically lock the doors on the vehicle when the ignition is turned on and automatically unlock the doors when the ignition is turned off - A very useful anti-hijack feature.
A limited lifetime warranty - please note this does not apply to any labour regarding the installation or subsequent removal of the product, this will provided in addition to the Toad warranty by your local dealer.
It can be programmed with many additional sensors all at an additional cost, which will plug straight into the alarm system and then be set-up. The sensors available include; impact sensors single and dual stage, microwave sensors single and dual stage, glass break sensors and tilt sensors.

I hope this covers everything you were needing to know, if you do want any more info or questions answering just reply to this thread or PM me, and if you require I could also mail you a PDF user guide for this alarm system so you could get a feel of how the alarm operates and what it could do.

I am also quite sure you will be able to find a dealer local to yourself that should be able to both supply and install this alarm system, whilst meeting your budget requirements.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mike.N
Old 03 October 2006, 12:26 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mike, That toad alarm looks quite a good spec'ed alarm
Old 03 October 2006, 12:53 PM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mike, That toad alarm looks quite a good spec'ed alarm
I certainly is, hence that is why is it so popular amounst people who just want either an excellent basic alarm system or a system with all the accessories and outputs you can throw at it (Not literraly), whilst still being a Category 1 system at a competitive price.
Old 03 October 2006, 02:53 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Could you tell me the price for the alarm, just for the alarm it self please. Or would It be better to phone toad and ask them?
Old 03 October 2006, 06:43 PM
evolutionice.com
BANNED

Viper 460XV is another option.
Almost identicle spec to the Toad Ai606 except for the following differences:

Blue LED rather than Green/Orange/Red of the toad
3 immobiliser points (Toad has 2)
6 Output channels for accessories (Toad has 4)
Improved Transmitter Range.
VRS: Vehicle recovery system. This cool feature allows you to setup a system where you have to punch in a code before you can start the car. Great if your leaving the car for an extended period and also prevents theft even if they get your keys.

Price wise its roughly the same as the Toad and comes in around £250 Fitted
Old 03 October 2006, 07:06 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks on the info on the Viper.

The coloured led did slightly put me off of the Toad, that why I ckinda wanted a Clifford, amongst other reasons. But whos cares about a tri coloured LED.
Old 03 October 2006, 07:14 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I see on Motorguard w/site the Clifford Concept 450 priced at £159.99 plus VAT.
So whats the spec of this one and how does it compare to the Toad Ai606.

What are you getting for £160?
Old 03 October 2006, 07:22 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Wait a minute thats not a Cat 1 alarm is it??

So would I have to go for a Concept 650?
Old 04 October 2006, 09:12 AM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Could you tell me the price for the alarm, just for the alarm it self please. Or would It be better to phone toad and ask them?
Yep follow you own advice there phone Toad sales on the number posted above, find your nearest dealer or two ring around and find the best installed quote for the alarm system. The unit is not available directly to the public only to authorised account holders, and then it gets distributed/installed from there onwards so all prices in theory you should get will be for a unit being supplied and fitted.

Regards

Mike.N
Old 04 October 2006, 09:20 AM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Blue LED rather than Green/Orange/Red of the toad - Could be easier on the eye but who really cares an LED is an LED!

3 immobiliser points (Toad has 2) - No need for a third cut the old toad cat 1 AI600 used to have this there is now no need for it Thatcham regulation do not require it unless the security system can be easily bypassed via other methods, and with most vehicles on the road now it is getting increasingly more difficult to find two immobilser points never mind three

6 Output channels for accessories (Toad has 4) - He did state he did not want many toys for the system just a quality Cat 1 system the Toad AI606 would meet this spec perfectly and for the right price

Improved Transmitter Range.- How has this been proven please? They all operate on a very similar frequency to avoid paying any licensing fees so this remark is very questionable!

VRS: Vehicle recovery system. This cool feature allows you to setup a system where you have to punch in a code before you can start the car. Great if your leaving the car for an extended period and also prevents theft even if they get your keys.- So the thief when stealing your car instead of just breaking into your house whilst you are asleep pinching your keys and driving off, would instead have to break into your house, steal your keys, then find out the vehicle would not start, then go and find you force the pin code out of you then ake your vehicle, a good feature but also a very bad one at the same time, think about it!

Regards

Mike.N
Old 04 October 2006, 10:43 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thank you Mike you have been more than helpful

I'll phone Toad on that number above and see what they say.

Darren
Old 04 October 2006, 11:37 AM
MotorGuard
BANNED

Just want a standard Cat 1 then we have the Avital made by the people that make Clifford. The Cat 1 is very similar to the Toad ai606 but will cost you only £195 fitted.

www.motorguarduk.co.uk
Old 04 October 2006, 11:47 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

You get what you pay for phase comes to mind. I am sure that Avital is a very good basic cat 1 alarm, but thats too cheap. Thanks for mantioning it.

Just out of intrest, whats the cheapest Clifford Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm that has good features.
Old 04 October 2006, 02:23 PM
evolutionice.com
BANNED

Originally Posted by MotorGuard
Just want a standard Cat 1 then we have the Avital made by the people that make Clifford. The Cat 1 is very similar to the Toad ai606 but will cost you only £195 fitted.

www.motorguarduk.co.uk

I fit loads of these for trade customers and they love them. £50 cheaper than a Toad for almost exactly the same alarm.
Old 04 October 2006, 02:32 PM
evolutionice.com
BANNED

Originally Posted by MikeyN

Blue LED rather than Green/Orange/Red of the toad - Could be easier on the eye but who really cares an LED is an LED!

3 immobiliser points (Toad has 2) - No need for a third cut the old toad cat 1 AI600 used to have this there is now no need for it Thatcham regulation do not require it unless the security system can be easily bypassed via other methods, and with most vehicles on the road now it is getting increasingly more difficult to find two immobilser points never mind three

6 Output channels for accessories (Toad has 4) - He did state he did not want many toys for the system just a quality Cat 1 system the Toad AI606 would meet this spec perfectly and for the right price

Improved Transmitter Range.- How has this been proven please? They all operate on a very similar frequency to avoid paying any licensing fees so this remark is very questionable!

VRS: Vehicle recovery system. This cool feature allows you to setup a system where you have to punch in a code before you can start the car. Great if your leaving the car for an extended period and also prevents theft even if they get your keys.- So the thief when stealing your car instead of just breaking into your house whilst you are asleep pinching your keys and driving off, would instead have to break into your house, steal your keys, then find out the vehicle would not start, then go and find you force the pin code out of you then ake your vehicle, a good feature but also a very bad one at the same time, think about it!

Regards

Mike.N

Nice attack, a guy asks for advice and since it doesnt conform to your "ideal" you slate my offered alternative.

For the record I sell, Toad as well as Viper and Clifford systems. Knowing what i do as an installer I would always choose either a Clifford or a Viper. They are every bit as reliable as the Toad but have more features built in as standard. They also have greater upgrade potential should the user require it.
Old 04 October 2006, 03:38 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Now lets not start World Forum War 3 now.
Old 04 October 2006, 03:44 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I don't mind spending a little more and get a better quality alarm i.e. you get what you pay for. I have always brought the best I can afford and those item have lasted me far longer than if I had of brought a cheaper product.

Now back to my question...Clifford Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm, the Concept 650 either the U or P variant.
Old 04 October 2006, 04:44 PM
MotorGuard
BANNED

I don't mind spending a little more and get a better quality alarm i.e. you get what you pay for. I have always brought the best I can afford and those item have lasted me far longer than if I had of brought a cheaper product.

Now back to my question...Clifford Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm, the Concept 650 either the U or P variant.
Go for the on with the Prox sensor. As you will then get both internal & external Protection.

www.motorguarduk.co.uk
Old 04 October 2006, 04:46 PM
MotorGuard
BANNED

You get what you pay for phase comes to mind. I am sure that Avital is a very good basic cat 1 alarm, but thats too cheap. Thanks for mantioning it.

Just out of intrest, whats the cheapest Clifford Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm that has good features.
Avital Maxx 1 is sold at the same price as the toad ai606 (RRP £270). Just that we have purchased loads at da moment so thats why we have them on special. The alarm is very similar to the Toad Ai606 but just better value for money.
Old 04 October 2006, 04:58 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks.
Old 04 October 2006, 05:21 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Some of the alarms mention a key pad, my scorpion does in the manual, but my sport does not have a keypad. I did not think that classics had keypads whereas newage cars do.
Old 05 October 2006, 12:53 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

check out CAR AUDIO INNOVATIONS.co.uk

they are based in markyate and their security package deals are not to be sniffed at.

tell 'em dave with the funky purple astra recommended them if they ask
Old 06 October 2006, 08:29 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks, i'll have a look...
Old 16 October 2006, 11:36 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

As it was my birthday on Friday, my parents have agreed to buy me the car alarm.

I have just phoned Toad Sales Department on 0870 417 7795 and got given two places to call local to me.

I phoned one of the companies and he said we mainly specialise in Sigma and Clifford, but can get a Toad Ai606 alarm if you want that Alarm.

The proces he quoted me was

Sigma @ £320 fitted (did not say which model)

Clifford with proximity sensor @ £349 fitted

Toad Ai606 £360 fitted

And they can remove my Scorpion for £25.

Does that seem right price wise??
Old 16 October 2006, 12:03 PM
MotorGuard
BANNED

Ai606 for £360??? thats very expensive. The price for the C650 is not bad. Does that come with a turbo timer of the alarm? also just confirm if they will wire up blackjax for the same price. There are a lot of dealers that charge extra to wire up blackjax.
Old 16 October 2006, 12:05 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Mines not a turbo, just an Impreza Sport.

Quick Reply: another alarm (clifford) question...sorry