Notices

Adding proximity sensor to MY03 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2006, 07:28 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding proximity sensor to MY03 WRX

Is there any way it can be interfaced to a standard MY03 alarm ? And would it trigger if a large bird (feathered kind) decided to do the Mexican hat dance on your roof.

If not, what’s the easiest way of adding proximity detection as a separate unit.

This is the second time I've had a bird strike, the first time they decided to lunch on the rear window seal.

Cheers
Allan
Old 26 May 2006, 11:30 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Any proximity sensors such as microwaves - can be added to the standard UK Sigma M30 system provided that it gives a low (negative) output when the sensor is triggered and is activated by a low (negative) input from the alarm when armed.

For proximity detection "dual zone" sensors are the best option, as they provide two separate outputs. One when the "inner" zone is disturbed that causes an alarm trigger, and a second when the "outer"zone is disturbed to sound a low volume warning tone.

The standard fit M30 does not have the facility to provide the warning tone when the outer zone is disturbed, but a small piezo buzzer can be mounted under the bonnet and wired directly to the "outerzone" output from the microwave sensor.

The Sigma M30 provides the low output to activate the sensors on pin 3 (provided that the alternative boot release output is not required), and the low input from the "inner zone" to trigger the system is best connected to pin 2 - this is also the boot trigger wire and allows simpler diagnostics in the future sould you experience false alarming problems with the sensor.

Although possible, my biggest concern is that such a sensor may not be suitable for your "bird strike" problem. Proximity sensors are designed to detect people close to the vehicle and inorder to detect the smaller mass of a bird the sensitivity of such a sensor would need to be turn up to a point that people passing the vehicle at a safe distance and other road trafic would also activate the sensor causing false alarms.

I can't think of an effective electronic way to deter unwanted feathered friends.... perhaps a scarecrow?

SS
Old 27 May 2006, 08:14 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Thanks SS, that's useful info.

I'm also concerned about whether it would be triggered by a large bird.

It must be the colour or the shiny paintwork that's attracting them. The only other thing I can think of is to put a car cover on, although this is going to drive me mad taking it on and off every day.

Anybody with a proximity detector know if birds trigger it ?

Allan
Old 28 May 2006, 07:00 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Very intersted in this thread as i too would like to add a proximity sensor to MY05 Cobra alarm. I rang Cobra last week and asked if they did a retro fit upgrade. Unfortunately they dont do anything like this so my options seem to be either take off the current alarm and start again or find a stand alone proximity sensor which will deter anyone who is too close.

Is there a proximity sensor that can be fitted to buzz or sound if triggered but works completely independant from the alarm ?.

Cheers guys
Old 28 May 2006, 11:34 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the proximity sensor you need to be able to deactivate it before you get in or get close to your vehicle. A permanent powered stand-alone proximity sensor would be sounding all the time you were in the vehicle, and even if deactivated by an external switch would drive you nuts every time you approached it.
The only effective solution is the method I described in the post above wereby the alarm system's "neg out when armed" output is used to turn the sensor on and off - in effect you power the proximity sensor remotely.

I can't speak for your Cobra system, but most alarm systems do have this armed output, so with the only other addition is the stand-alone buzzer activated from the sensors outer zone (use the existing bonnet wire for the inner zone). Just ensure that whatever proximity sensor you choose has an output sufficient to drive the piezo buzzer directly.

SS
Old 12 June 2006, 09:36 PM
philz
Scooby Regular

I have a Cobra 8186 cat 1 alarm on my car. This has the standard microwave sensor which goes off if somebody enters the car.

I was wondering how I'd go about changing the sensor for a dual zone one that warns people away when they get too close (like the Cliffords do)

Would something like this do the job and how would I go about wiring it in?
Old 13 June 2006, 09:27 AM
Scooby Senior

http://www.microscanalarms.co.uk/system/index.htm
PP802, Digichirp is what you are after!
under universal accessories

can also be linked up to a pager so you know if someone is near!
Old 13 June 2006, 09:34 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by philz
I have a Cobra 8186 cat 1 alarm on my car. This has the standard microwave sensor which goes off if somebody enters the car.

I was wondering how I'd go about changing the sensor for a dual zone one that warns people away when they get too close (like the Cliffords do)

Would something like this do the job and how would I go about wiring it in?
I don't know if the Cobra system has built in pre-warn ability, but I doubt it.
As such you would need to hard wire the dual zone microwave and use an additional piezo buzzer to provide the pre-warn tone as I posted above

"if the system does not have the built-in facility pre-warn facility when the outer zone is disturbed, then a small piezo buzzer can be mounted under the bonnet and wired directly to the negative "outerzone" output from the microwave sensor. The other side of the buzzer should be connected to a permanent 12v. Just ensure that the outer zone output from the dual zone microwave will be of sufficient duration to sound the buzzer and that the buzzer is low current <300mA.

Most alarm systems will provide the "armed" negative output to activate the dual zone sensor, and if your Cobra system already has a single zone microwave then the output will already be used for this. The negative "inner Zone" output from the sensor is needed to trigger the alarm system and should be connected to existing trigger wire at the single zone microwave or can be hard wired into a boot, bonnet or door wire"

SS
Old 13 June 2006, 01:17 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 500

Is this a standalone unit or is it an add-on for a Microscan alarm ? Do you know if it would be triggered by a bird ?

Allan
Old 13 June 2006, 02:20 PM
philz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 500

Sounds good, cheers