Notices

toad ai606/turbo timer

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2006, 06:24 PM
tye1beast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toad ai606/turbo timer

is it possible to use a turbo timer with this alarm as i got one today connected it all up and it does not keep the engine running as the immobilser kicks in when i turn off the car

can any one help

tye
Old 22 April 2006, 08:45 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know this isn't much help but, i have this alarm and a turbo timer and it does leave the engine running while the turbo timer is in use. however, when the turbo timer finishes it unlocks the doors again so be careful if you do get it to keep running with the turbo timer.

i think you need to get the alarm setup again for use with the turbo timer. i was told by the fitter that it will mean that the alarm is not longer a cat 1 alarm if you hook it up to do it.
Old 23 April 2006, 08:45 AM
tye1beast
Scooby Regular

ok mate thanks for the help not sure if i am gonna fit one now they sound more hassle then there worth

tye
Old 23 April 2006, 10:58 AM
lee-swindon
Scooby Regular

i have the same alarm on mine and also have a turbo timer fitted only problem is i cant lock the doors till the turbo timer has stopped, so i have to sit around waiting for the timer to stop which can be annoying apart from that its ok
Old 24 April 2006, 12:47 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tbh, if i didn't have one on mine when i bought it i wouldn't bother with one. much easier to take it easy for the last few minutes before arriving that sit around waiting.
Old 24 April 2006, 12:50 PM
NPeckt
Scooby Regular

Remember with a turbo timer fitted and activated, your alarm will no longer be CAT1 rated, and could void your insurance!

This is exactly why I didnt do it, as I was going to get the same combo.
Old 24 April 2006, 02:04 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

If the AI606 is required for insurance purposes then think carefully as your insurance company is unlikely to appreciate the need for a turbo timer (or the convenience of a remote start device for that matter) and the installation could render the Cat 1 systems status void.

“Cat 1” security systems are tested as a complete product and then given an evaluation number by Thatcham based on the products proposed usage.
In their view, adding any other product at a later date, which interacts directly with the approved security system or by-passes any of its circuits, can be looked upon as a modification to the system that was tested and could void the approval on that particular installation.

To be fair, you wouldn’t expect a Category 1 product to still gain you the same recognition by your insurance company if the secure, passively arming immobilisation circuits were by passed and this is exactly what these products do to allow the engine to run.
Adding additional products such as turbo timers and remote start devices are seen by Thatcham (the UK insurance industry’s test centre) to compromise security in the same way, as these systems usually have to by-pass the security system's immobilisation circuits to allow the engine to run.

In theory a turbo timer need not cause a problem provided that it is not connected to or by-passes the existing immobilisation wiring - this would require some careful thought and execution of the installation, which cannot always be guaranteed and the posts above highlighting operational issues following installations highlight this. Even with the correct wiring, however, the Cat 1 systems immobiliser must kick in 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off (a Thatcham requirement), limiting the turbo timer to a maximum of30 seconds.

There are also a couple of other points for you to consider:
Due to the UK insurance industrys requirements (and EU legislation) a turbo timer or remote start unit is unlikely to have been designed with the UK market in mind and so is unlikely to have been tested to EU 95/54 (- electrical legislation) and will not bear an “e” mark to show that the product has been tested and is fit for the automotive environment.
In addition, leaving a vehicle unattended in a public place with the engine running is also an offence in the UK, contravening the Construction and Use regulations.

If you don’t mention the mods to your insurance company, or the broker does not understand the implications of the modifications, then they will still be happy to take your money, but few vehicles with the standard system are stolen without the keys, so if an enlightened insurance inspector were to detect the modification it could invalidate a policy and save them paying out.

SS