Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm Situation Update - Remember this could be you!

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2001, 01:49 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Toad have refused to acknowledge any communication from me since I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago, even though they committed to get back to me. They have now contacted their lawyers, as I see it to frighten me off!

I have been in contact with a lady from the RS Owners Club who has had an alarm fitted by the same company (was AID is now VIN) and she has contacted the police and Trading Standards and I will document her sitaution on my website shortly. We are going to move forward together, there are also two other people that have problems with an alarm fitted by this company.

It would suggest that anybody else that has had an alrm fitted by AID or VIN should contact me with details.

I would appreciate it if you took the time (about 5 minutes) to read the lawyers letter on my website along with my comments and then to provide me with any feedback you might have. Any info or insights could be useful (they have been so far) and the synergy of the group will only be beneficial.

The site is at
Old 24 March 2001, 03:33 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Steve,
Seems to me the Lawyers have a fair point - your contract was with the Installer not Toad. You surely could have asked for a number of alarms from different manufacturers to be installed and any one of them could have started the fire because of bad wiring. To expect any company to some how police who is buying their goods and for what purpose seems unrealistic. An extreme example but if somebody threw bleach in your face, would you want to prosecute that person for causing the harm or Sainsbury's for selling bleach or Domestos for manufacturing it?

I'm not trying to have a go in any way and I feel very sorry for you but I think you are now on the right track by persuing the dodgy alarm company rather than Toad. What Toad are saying is at worst unhelpful, whereas AID/VIN have actually broken the law by failing to carry out their service to an acceptable standard and as such are in breach of contract.
Old 24 March 2001, 05:34 PM
Luke
BANNED

Steve
I posted a point about having had a problem with TOAD at Hendon.N.London.I can't remember if they owned the fitting place.I got very heavy with them,and They sorted it out.(I told them I would weld their shutters
closed). I must admit Ifeel for you.BUT I WOULD AGREE WITH "BOOST"THAT REALLY YOUR PROBLEM IS WITH THE FITTING COMPANY.I would talk again with TOAD and let them know that "You wish to start again" Get them on your side . This will be good PR for them to assist you.If it gets to court against the fitters. TOAD could be a good witness for you.

I agree you have a fight on your hands but "FOCUS" on who is the "ENEMY".

My advice to anyone is .Before you pay for the work CHECK IT FIRST.

I wish you luck
Old 24 March 2001, 05:49 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Boost

You need to be aware that until 2 weeks ago I didn't have a clue who/where AID was. Toad have known for 2 years and seem happy to let them fit their products (they haven't stopped them yet!).

This new info has given me an extra opportunity that I didn't have previously.

Bear in mind, if this happens to you in the future, and your installer disappears overnight, are you going to speak to the company that employed them as an approved installer or would you do nothing!

AID have only surfaced recently as far as I was concerned, but what about all the other people with dodgy installations done by VIN.....and Toad knew they were doing it!

Are you happy with the ethics of a company that acts that way?

Steve
Old 24 March 2001, 07:19 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Steve,
I do hope you sort this out, similar things have happened to me (although not quite as bad) and I know what a pain in the bum it can be. A few points though....

Toad are saying that your installers were not approved. I saw the installers advert you scanned on to your website and that does not state they are Toad approved. They also sold other makes of alarm so why do you think it is the responsibility of Toad alone to ensure that all AID/VIN fitters are trained appropriately. I also noticed that the same advert had "Engineers needed nationwide" or something similar at the bottom so they are still recruiting 2 years after Toad have chopped off their links with this company - how can Toad be responsible for these fitters in any way. The other thing is, there is a grey market in just about everything and it would not be possible for Toad to stop companies getting their alarms in the same way Subaru can't stop imported Imprezas coming into the UK or fashion designers can't stop supermarkets selling their goods at discounted prices. There are unofficial/grey channel to obtain most things. I understand that you had no one else to focus your frustration initially but now Toad have supplied you with contact details for the installers you must take action against them.

To go back to the legal side, it is my understanding that any involvment of Toad in the matter is their choice and will probably be based on PR. They are not obliged to do anything since your contract was with the installer. If I buy a TV in Dixons and it breaks down straight away, it is Dixons who are obliged to replace this even if it was a manufacuring defect. My contract is with them and they have to replace my TV. If Dixons then want to claim expenses back from the manufacturer then thats not my problem. I have no reason to defend Toad in any way, it just seems to me that you are heading off in the wrong direction if you want to get the justice you deserve.
Old 25 March 2001, 11:08 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Ok, I'd say persue the What car thing, I know someone who had a big bill for a gearbox and other stuff as his warranty was invalidated by a dealer who had lost his franchise servicing his car! This was eventually settled amicably when What car called the manufacturer/dealer and sorted a joint solution! They look like a good group to have on side.