Notices

help with alarm...

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2006, 04:39 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with alarm...

got a classic MY2000 turbo wagon and have a sigma alarm.

bought the car about month ago, and im not sure alarm is arming properly. I acidentaly used fob and armed it with the dog in the car, and went into a shop. and in 10minutes it didnt go off (didnt realise until i returned to car that i had armed it but it definately didnt go off) i thought the internal sensors should pic up movement in the boot??

anyway tested it when i got home. armed it with me in and it didnt go off until key was in ignition. also tried with window open and armed it and leaned in and waved arm around and it didnt go off!!

what is wrong with it? is this normal??

could it be that someone has set it for animal in car mode?! (i know there is such a mode although i dont know its proper mode name!!)

if so how can i return it to normal? as far as i can tell someone could smash window and the alarm wont go off at moment!!!
Old 23 February 2006, 06:32 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

???anyone???
Old 23 February 2006, 09:38 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

The ultrasonic system used in the Sigma M30 is quite unique.
When you first arm the system you will notice the dashboard LED flashes dimly for 15 seconds (the settle time) during this period the interior sensors are inactive, allow air movement from shut doors & retracting seatbelts to stabilise.
During the following 15 second period the LED will flash brightly (threshold time) during this period the alarm system will automatically decrease the ultrasonic sensitivity from its usual setting if any movement is detected (ie your dog or yourself) - this can be seen as the LED will latch on brightly for a second indicating the sensitivity has automatically been reduced.

If you wish to test the sensors in the manner you describe (sitting in the car with the windows up) you must stay perfectly still for 30 seconds untill the LED flashes dimly again (indicating the system is now fully armed) and ensure that the LED does not latch on in the second 15 second period.
Moving forward within the cabin will now trigger the system.

In effect this provides an automatic pet mode - provided your dog is not asleep during the first 30 seconds!

As ultrasonic sensors are designed to be used in an enclosed environment, try to carry out this test with the windows down will also give poor results as the ultrasonic signal tries to cover the area outside the vehicle aswell, ultimately detecting some air movement in the second period and adjusting down again.

The best real world test to to leave your vehicle fully closed and armed in the usual way for several minutes. Observe the LED through the drivers window and strike the glass with your fist - the LED will latch on again indicating that the air movement was sufficient to be detected, but did not occur for a long enough period. Now bang on the window again rapidly in quick succesion 7-8 times - the LED will latch again and then the system will trigger.
If this does not happen you should adjust your ultrasonic sensivity using the keypad. The recommended setting for an impreza can be set by entering the following sequence:
(arm/disarm) *17856*20*55#

This ultrasonic system also employs movement/time technology which provides reliable interior protection without the problems of false alarms that can often be suffered by other ultrasonic systems - although without an understanding of the system can appear confusing.

SS

Last edited by Sigma Sam; 23 February 2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 23 February 2006, 10:29 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

wow thanx!! so if i arm the car with the dog in it the ultrasonic sensors will remain inactive till next time car is armed without something moving inside? does this mean i can happily leave dog in car and arm without worrying about alarm being triggered? therefore not having to use a set pet mode?

how hard do i need to hit glass!! dont wanna break my hand...or the window!!
Old 26 February 2006, 09:51 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Yep, you can arm the system without having to select pet mode, as long as the dog is moving in the period 15 to 30 seconds after the system is armed.
If the dog is asleep for example, you will have to delete the ultrasonics manually - with the ignition on, press the Radio Key button once (the dashboard LED will flash) then turn off ignition, exit car and arm in the usual way. The alarm will confirm that the ultrasonics have been disabled on that occasion by flashing the hazard lights 8 times instead of the usual 4.

With regard to how hard to hit the glass, use the side of your fist and gradually increase the force. Your hand will ache before you break the glass!

SS