alarm help wanted

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2006, 04:44 PM
jake wrx ra sti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarm help wanted

Hi Guys

I was wondering if you could advise me on a decent alarm for my scooby. I have tracker and immob fitted to my95 Jap import wrx ra sti,but having trouble getting insurance,need alarm that will work with my turbo timer.

Can any of you advise me?

Thanks in advance
Old 04 February 2006, 06:06 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

You will encounter problems here as I suspect that the insurance companies are specifying the fitment of a Thatcham Category 1 Alarm/Immobiliser, unfortunately, if the existing Turbo Timer is retained, it is likely to void the alarm system's Cat 1 status.
“Cat 1” security systems are tested as a complete product and then given an evaluation number by Thatcham based on the products proposed usage.
In their view, any other product, which interacts directly with the approved security system or by-passes any of its circuits, can be looked upon as a modification to the system that was tested and could void the approval on that particular installation.
To be fair, you wouldn’t expect a Category 1 product to still gain you the same recognition by your insurance company if the secure, passively arming immobilisation circuits were by passed and this is exactly what these products do to allow the engine to run.
Adding additional products such as turbo timers and remote start devices are seen by Thatcham (the UK insurance industry’s test centre) to compromise security in the same way, as these systems usually have to by-pass the security system's immobilisation circuits to allow the engine to run.

In theory, if both the Turbo Timer and alarms immobilisation wiring were considered very carefully before the installation and did not interact (ie the Turbo Timer is not connected to or by-passes the alarms immobilisation circuits) it may not cause a problem, however the Cat 1 system's immobiliser would kick in 30 seconds after the ignition was turned off (a Thatcham requirement), limiting the turbo timer to 30 seconds.
If the turbo timer extended the ignition feed to the alarm, preventing the immobiliser passively armingafter 30 seconds, this would also void the alarm's Thatchan approval - hence any installation must be considered very carefully to avoid such back-feeds on the ignition circuit.

There are also a couple of other points for you to consider:
Due to the UK insurance industrys requirements (and EU legislation) a turbo timer or remote start unit is unlikely to have been designed with the UK or European market in mind and so is unlikely to have been tested to EU 95/54 (- electrical compatibility) and will not bear an “e” mark to show that the product has been tested and is fit for the automotive environment - not even an electric toothbrush can be sold in the UK these without a CE mark!
In addition, leaving a vehicle unattended in a public place with the engine running is also an offence in the UK, contravening the Construction and Use regulations.

If you don’t mention the Turbo Timer to your insurance company, or the broker does not understand the implications of Turbo Timer, then they will still be happy to take your money, but the fitment of the device/modification could invalidate a policy and save them paying out in the event of a claim.

It may be wise to consider going without the Turbo Timer, in which case you can then choose from all the Cat 1 systems available.
SS

Last edited by Sigma Sam; 04 February 2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04 February 2006, 07:29 PM
jake wrx ra sti
Scooby Newbie

ok cheers for the info any alarms have built in turbo timers
Old 05 February 2006, 10:34 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

You wont find any alarms with a built-in turbo timer for sale in Europe as inclusion of the feature prevents the system passing 95/54 EC and 95/56 EC European approval!

The Sigma S30 and S34 systems both have an output that can be used to switch a separate turbo timer unit if the optional 2-button Radio Key covers are used, but the products will then lose their Thatcham approval (as above post).
Infact, all reference to the fact that these systems could switch a turbo timer had to be removed from the operating instructions inorder for the products to pass 95/54EC and 95/56 EC for them to receive the necessary CE mark to allow sale in Europe.

SS