Notices

Sigma Immobiliser Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2005, 02:24 PM
dr_huuffuuhhrr
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sigma Immobiliser Problem

I have a really tedious problem with my Sigma system and I'm desperate for some assistance.
Whenever I sit in the car without the engine running, lock the car with a window or sunroof open, or leave the keys in the ignition, the immobiliser kicks in and stops me starting the car.
I have to wait an hour or so for it to reset and then it works OK.
Yesterday we set it on Valet Mode while doing so work inside, and it still did the same thing. We then set about disconnecting the unit and that didn't work. I've tried starting it a day later and it now has locked me out of starting the car at all.
Does anyone know how to bypass the system so the car will start, or even to disable the system altogether?
Old 05 September 2005, 06:18 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

I'll do my best if you can give me some more info...

"Whenever I sit in the car without the engine running, lock the car with a window or sunroof open, or leave the keys in the ignition, the immobiliser kicks in and stops me starting the car"
- Do you mean the immobiliser or the alarm?
It is a Thatcham requirement that the immobiliser automatically arms 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off, and also automatically re-arms 30 seconds after the system is disarmed (doors unlocked from the Radio Key) if the ignition is not turned on - to start the car simply turn the ignition on, press the button on the Radio Key (dashboard LED will flash once) then crank the engine.
If you mean the alarm keeps arming, then it is possible that Auto-arm has been turned on somehow. This would cause the alarm to arm 30 seconds after the last door is shut - if this is the case the keeping a door open prevents the alarm system from arming whilst working on the car or turn the Auto Arm feature off by arming/disarming then entering *17856*03*0# into the keypad

Other than that I'm at a loss as to why you can't start the car for a while - have you tried disarming with the PIN code?
Does the engine crank or just not fire/run?
Can you let me know the model year and I'll try and figure out what is going on.
SS
Old 05 September 2005, 06:53 PM
dr_huuffuuhhrr
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for replying.

It's the immobiliser that is the problem. The alarm seems to work as normal.
Everything arms & disarms as usual, and the central locking works OK, but I mean that the ignition will not crank the engine when any of the three items I listed happens. It will then reset itself an hour or so later. I've followed the instructions in the manual but it doesn't seem to work, nor does any other sequence of events.

I don't have a PIN as i recently bough the car. I also don't have a LED on the dash for some reason. The latest shutdown occurred when the alarm was set into Valet Mode - or so we thought.

As for the model, I hope I don't get flamed here but it's a 1990 Vauxhall Senator 3.0CD 24v, the one with the digital dash. I found this forum through a google search. Sorry!
Old 05 September 2005, 08:38 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

I've no problem with that, nice motor. I've got a Manta with the 3.0 12v in and N2O, although I've picked up two 24v motors earlier this year on e-bay for a winter project - dont tell anyone I've not got a Scooby!
Anyway back to the matter in hand, might be useful info for someone else....

You really nead the LED - without that, there's no way of telling if you have managed to put the unit into valet mode (very slow flash from the LED)

Unfortunately, as its not a Subaru, you are relying on someone elses wiring here.
It could just be a poor connection on one of the immobiliser circuits - hence no difference whether in valet mode or not and the window/roof & delay is a co-insidence..
Alternatively a poor ignition connection would cause the immobiliser to try to automatically arm even with the engine running (although saftey would normally keep the engine running). Again a poor ignition supply could cause you problems putting the system into valet mode.
The delay before you can start however, makes me wonder if you have a bad earth somewhere on the vehicle that is also common to the window/roof/door circuits and the alarm - there is no input to the alarm to tell it a window or the sunroof is open, so it could be a bad earth/back feed problem somewhere in the wiring.

It is a strange problem and the above are the most likely possibilities I can think of. Unfortunately I won't give wiring "pin-out" details on here or via PM to identify the immobiliser circuits for obvious reasons and without a working LED there is not much more diagnostics we can carry out here.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but because of all the possible variables in the wiring on your vehicle, I think you will nead to get someone to look at it, or at the very least add an LED before we can go any further on here
SS

Last edited by Sigma Sam; 05 September 2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05 September 2005, 09:33 PM
dr_huuffuuhhrr
Scooby Newbie

Since my last post I've managed to get the car running and following the instructions i reckon I've got it in valet mode at last. If I leave it like this can I do away with the remote key and just never use the system again?

If anyone wants to come around and take the whole system out they can keep it!

Perhaps the LED just wasn't fitted in this model? It's a digital dash.

I have several sensors around the interior, i reckon they are the culprits in the sunroof/window and the sitting inside the vehicle problems.

Thanks for your help thus far anyway, but which is the simplest way to stop the whole system working and never have to use it again? It's a 300 pound car, good luck to anyone who wants to steal it!
Old 06 September 2005, 10:41 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Provided that you have got the system into valet mode then the passive immobilisation (and alarm) will not set automatically - in effect valet mode is the same as removing the alarm/immobiliser from the vehicle. The unit will remain in valet mode indefinately, even if the battery is removed, until the Radio Key is next pressed , then the system will revert to normal operation.

There is no reason why an LED should not have been fitted, in the centre console for example, and it's ommision makes me a little suspicious of the quality of the installation or if someone has interfered with the system since.

Regarding the sensors, the M30's ultrasonic sensors can only provide an input to trigger the alarm system when armed. The ultrasoni sensors are inactive unless the alarm system is armed. There is no way that they can be arming the alarm or interferring with the operation of the immobiliser as a result of the windows or roof being open.
However, if you have any additional sensors fitted to the vehicle (such as a microwave sensor) then this could have been wired to trigger the alarm system, when disturbed, by providing a negative input on the door wire. If this is the case , and you have Auto Arm selected, then after turning the ignition off and sitting in the car the microwave could detect your presence (even externally if the windows/roof is open) and give a negative output on the door wire - the alarm would then think that a door had been opened to exit the vehicle and commence it's Auto Arm sequence (arming the immobiliser at the same time).
Since you have no LED, could it be that in fact the alarm is Auto Arming without you realising and bringing on the immobiliser?
I realise that this is not exactly the problem that you are describing, but it is the only possibility that I can think of where by the open roof/window could effect things.
SS
Old 06 September 2005, 03:31 PM
dr_huuffuuhhrr
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Perhaps I do have an LED somewhere, I just haven't found it yet.

Either way, many thanks for your help.

I think I'll just keep it in valet mode for ever and throw the remote key in the bin.

Here's hoping that I'm not back on here in the near future with it being immobilised whilst in valet mode. I'd be doing my best Basil Fawlty moves on the car by then!
Old 09 September 2005, 01:58 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dr_huuffuuhhrr
I think I'll just keep it in valet mode for ever and throw the remote key in the bin.
Which will be about 10 minutes before you need it again and 5 minutes after the refuse truck drove away...