Notices

Cheap Tracker to keep insurance happy?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2005, 10:01 AM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Tracker to keep insurance happy?

Insuring my WRX was no problem except for one little detail - Direct Line want a tracking device fitted otherwise theft is not covered. No matter that it's garaged most of the time, I'm never more than half a mile away from it, it's got the loudest and most irritating Clifford alarm known to man including a proximity alarm, no-one else drives it except me and just about the only place it's ever parked is my driveway miles from the nearest town...I look after my cars and wherever I've lived, I've never had a car stolen in my life - touch wood.

Anyway, I've got half a mind to not bother with the Tracker, as I can't justify spending £400 on a totally pointless gadget like this, and I most certainly am not going to fork out £120 a year or whatever it is for subs. I'd rather have sat nav or a laser jammer LOL.

Rest assured that next year I'm going to shop around and use a different insurance company. I'm only with Direct Line because they were cheap and my old car was insured with them, so when I changed cars to the Scoob I was in the middle of the policy term.

So, does anyone know of a CHEAP tracking device and a place to fit it in Suffolk/Norfolk. It looks like Direct Line will accept almost any sort as long as it tracks. ALternatively, a tracking device that can be moved from car to car yet will still charge a one-off subscription for as long as I own the tracker, not the car?

Cheers!
Old 14 August 2005, 07:59 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

The cheaper ones i.e. Tracker Retrieve aren't recognised by insurance companies so you have to spend upwards of £400 to keep them happy
Old 14 August 2005, 09:07 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryCat
The cheaper ones i.e. Tracker Retrieve aren't recognised by insurance companies so you have to spend upwards of £400 to keep them happy
Cheers. I've just written to them to see if they really want a Tracker or they'll let me off. After all I've got a Clifford alarm on it which is possibly the most irritating and impassable alarm I've ever known. Even I struggle to get into it sometimes LOL and I've got the keys and the valet code!
Old 14 August 2005, 09:32 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

they tend not to care about alarms nowadays... needs a tracker...