Notices

Another Sigma question

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2005, 08:27 PM
Cov_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Sigma question

Is it normal that my alarm will not arm while the turbo timer is running? ... is there any way around this? I find it kind of annoying I have to stand next to my car while the engine ticks over until I can set the alarm hehe.

If this cannot be changed then so be it
Old 01 February 2005, 01:18 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

The problem here is that the Turbo Timer and Alarm are at cross purposes - the Turbo Timer is for convenience and the Alarm for security. If the alarm was to arm, its immobilisation circuits would kill the engine and make the timer pointless.
Unless you by-pass the security systems immobilisation circuits to allow the engine still to run when the alarm is armed (- which I do not recommend and would also potentially void the Thatcham Cat 1 syatus of the security system) then there is no satisfactory way around this.
ss
Old 01 February 2005, 04:17 PM
Cov_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
The problem here is that the Turbo Timer and Alarm are at cross purposes - the Turbo Timer is for convenience and the Alarm for security. If the alarm was to arm, its immobilisation circuits would kill the engine and make the timer pointless.
Unless you by-pass the security systems immobilisation circuits to allow the engine still to run when the alarm is armed (- which I do not recommend and would also potentially void the Thatcham Cat 1 syatus of the security system) then there is no satisfactory way around this.
ss
Ok, cheers SS wont touch it
Old 01 February 2005, 10:23 PM
AJF
Scooby Regular

there are ways round it done it several times when i work for secure microsystems

Adrian
Old 04 February 2005, 11:24 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

The issue with Turbo Timers and Thatcham immobilisers depends on the period of time that you set the Turbo Timer for, and how it is wired. I dont deny that there are ways to get the timers and immobiliser to work, but they must be wired and timed correctly otherwise the installation is unlikely to still conform with Thatcham requirements which state:
Immobilisation of the engine must occur:

"Either:
- Between 10 seconds and 60 seconds after vehicle IGNITION OFF signal. (or between 0 and 60 seconds if unset synchronous with the IGNITION ON signal, using for example anignition key transponder)
or
- Between O and 60 seconds after the IGNITION KEY OUT signal.
or
- Between 0 and 60 seconds after vehicle (IGNITION OFF or IGNITION KEY OUT) signal and driver door OPENED or (OPENED and CLOSED) signals. If oly this option is specified there shall be an additional requirement for automatic setting between 0 and 600 seconds after vehicle (IGNITION OFF or IGNITION KEY OUT) signals
Setting of the immobilisation function may be achieved by a comination of the above"

Unfortunately, most after market immobilisation systems (and the standard Sigma system) will utilise the "IGNITION OFF" signal, so if the engine can be left running for over 60 seconds after the "IGNITION OFF" signal, then the installation will no-longer conform to the Thatcham requirements above - this would also indicate that the immobiliser had been by-passed using relays etc.

The Sigma M30 system passively immobilises after 30 seconds, so the timer would have to be limited to 30 seconds max. There are variations to this, as different immobilisation circuits have been utilised over the years by both Sigma and factory transponder immobiliser, so each vehicle must be considered individually.
SS

Last edited by Sigma Sam; 04 February 2005 at 11:30 AM.