Notices

Yet another Sigma question! (slightly OT)

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2005, 03:32 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Yet another Sigma question! (slightly OT)

OK I've recently bought myself a BMW 540i as my daily runaround. It has a BMW "System 3T" alarm system installed, which is a Cat 1 system rebranded Sigma.

Does anyone know what Sigma alarm this is based on? Is it the M30 the same as the Subaru one?

I don't have a keypad, can this be added if I find the control unit (I'm guessing it's behind the glovebox)? Finally if I do manage to add a keypad, how can I find out the unit's PIN so I can program an extra keyfob? I only have one at present.

I suspect BMW deliberately left off the keypad and kept the PIN secret so they can direct you to the dealer whenever you want anything reprogrammed. How nice of them, 1 hours labour at £50 + VAT to switch off the chav beeps on arm/disarm

Cheers
Paul.
Old 02 February 2005, 09:09 PM
AJF
Scooby Regular

bad luck its based on the old sg30

all the software was changed so that only BMW dealers could reprograme keys or settings

the last of the sg30 alarms verison 8 or high can have a keypad fitted but its not the same as the m30 keypad

Adrian
Old 03 February 2005, 09:18 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Bugger! Oh well, can I disconnect the siren then to disable the chav-beeps? It's battery backup but is it like the Clifford system where it won't activate unless the alarm was armed when you disconnect it?

I resent paying them an hours labour (or even half an hour) for what amounts to flicking a switch

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03 February 2005, 07:26 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by Paul_M
Bugger! Oh well, can I disconnect the siren then to disable the chav-beeps? It's battery backup but is it like the Clifford system where it won't activate unless the alarm was armed when you disconnect it?

I resent paying them an hours labour (or even half an hour) for what amounts to flicking a switch

Thanks for the reply.
The BMW system is a re-branded SG Series system and is not compatible with the Keypad or an overide pin, as you have been told (although late Sigma SG30s did come with an early version of the keypad, but this was only an overide and could not be used for programming). The SG series systems can only be programmed using a hand-held programmer (know as a CP1), and at the time, the software in the re-branded BMW systems was locked to standard Sigma CP1 programmers, as you suspected at BMW's request, so only BMW dealers to program the systems with a modified BP1 programmer. However, as the Sigma model range has evolved so has the software for the CP1 programmers (the hand-held type)and so, as we no longer supply the systems to BMW GB s, all the latest CP1s can now also program BMW systems, so your local Sigma alarm dealer should be able to turn the bleeps off for you and program a spare remote for you. Incidently the remotes are interchangeable as they work on the same frequency and code encryption.
Hope that helps,
SS
Old 03 February 2005, 08:27 PM
AJF
Scooby Regular

the bmw 3t can have a keypad add i know because i have done it for bmw when i worked for sigma and done all the test fitts for thactham for all s30 and m30

Adrian
Old 04 February 2005, 10:52 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

.....yes, but the keypad can only be used as an override, not for programming on the SG series, as Paul M asks.
SS
Old 04 February 2005, 11:37 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the very helpful info Sam. Do you know where I can get a spare remote for a reasonable price? Or even a case for one (mine is broken where it attaches to the keyring)?

Also where can I find a list of Sigma dealers? I am in the Glasgow area but also travel to Edinburgh a lot so anywhere between those two would be great.

Cheers
Paul.
Old 04 February 2005, 07:07 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by Paul_M
Thanks for the very helpful info Sam. Do you know where I can get a spare remote for a reasonable price? Or even a case for one (mine is broken where it attaches to the keyring)?

Also where can I find a list of Sigma dealers? I am in the Glasgow area but also travel to Edinburgh a lot so anywhere between those two would be great.

Cheers
Paul.
Unfortunately the cases for these remotes are not available separately as they are plastic welded. I have heard that someone has been able to get some on e-bay, but you will not be able to program the remote yourself and will have to visit a dealer to do this. If you purchase on e-bay just ensure you get the correct type (AC38) with the circular battery pod on the back, as these operate on the same frequency and use the necessary encryption.
If you cannot find a Sigma dealer in the Yellow Pages, call 0208 710 7795 on Monday morning who will be able to tell you who your nearest Sigma dealer is.

When you get your new remote, ensure you have the small ring fitted to the remote, and that you attach this to your key-ring and not the remote directly - this is how they become broken.
SS