URGENT! TELEMATICS eGUARD

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2001, 12:25 AM
Pirum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Afternoon All,

This is just a very quick note to advise that I have just been speaking to a company called Global-i (http://www.global-i.co.uk) and they have confirmed verbally that they have bought the Hardware and Monitoring rights to the old Telematics eGuard unitis/customers.

Whilst information is still fairly vague, they have also confirmed that they are writing to all existing customers (either today or Monday) offering to reactivate the Telematics units.

This will involve an engineer installing a new SIM card to the Telematics unit in each vehicle, and a new service contract (for the monitoring) being taken out with themselves.

They have not at this point advised me what the monthly, annual subscription will be, however I am of the impression that it will be similar to the Telematics rate.

I think everyone with a Telematics Unit installed to their vehicle will agree that this is a relief.

As far as all our customers are concerned I am speaking to Norwich Union and Groupama to confirm an extension of Theft cover pending this new update.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

All the best

Tom
Partner
Schofield Insurance Brokers
Old 06 October 2001, 11:21 AM
MDT
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

All

I have a E Guard system but have not received a letter from Global-i yet. Do you know if they are still buying the system and reactivating it?
I don't fancy shelling out for another tracking system, only to find a month later I could have reactivated the E guard.
All I receive in the post is letters from the liquidators of Telematics telling me the financial status of the company!!!
Old 13 October 2001, 09:18 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Anyone got an Email address for these people?

Because as far as I know, no one has been contacted by Global-I! Maybe they are not interested in "private" business. From their WEB site, they appear to be more corporate orientated.
Old 18 October 2001, 08:41 PM
MDT
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Hi All

Hurrah, got my letter from global-i today. They have acquired the business of Telematix and will reconnect the E-guard system, within 72 of calling them. huge relieve!!! I had a long conversation with them today and they seem to be committed. They will charge a re-connection fee of £75.00 plus VAT, for this they will send you a locator unit completed with a new SIM card pre installed and a new GSM antenna. They will also supply you with a local dealer who will de-install the old unit and fit the new one FOC. The dealer will even come out to fit it within 25 miles radius, providing they can fit it undercover.

If you had the E-Guard Executive system with the buzzer/ button the charge to monitor this is £80.00 plus VAT per year, no monthly option was offered to me and this is paid at the same time as the re-connection fee. You also have to sign a 12 month contract with Orange this is charged at £5.00 plus VAT per month, they also told me that call charges would be 8p per min plus VAT, this is if you have false alarms or the car is actually stolen. So in a normal month the cost will be £5.875 per month for the SIM card. They have changed this part of the contract so if the same fate happens to Global-I as did to Telematix then the unit will still respond. I did query who would answer the calls and the hinted that that they thought orange would be likely to step in, let's hope it doesn't happen!!!

They also told me that anybody who had paid in advance for a number of years monitoring would receive another letter at a later date explaining the situation, I didn't ask coz I paid the monthly direct debit.

They told me that the systems works in exactly the same was as E-Guard, valet modes, passwords and contact numbers, etc.

The contact address is Global-I, 26 Basepoint Enterprise Centre, Stroudley Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG24 8UP. Tel 01256 811325. Fax 01256 406691.

Old 20 October 2001, 09:54 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Yep... just got mine. So all I need now, is to find a dealer in Scotland.