Notices

tracker

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2001, 12:05 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

The NAVtrak deal on Scoobynet is £100+VAT for fitting passive and about £160+VAT for active. Then it's £9.99 or £14.99 monthly or a fixed period on-off payment.

The insurance company I use insisted on it for business use. They were also £235 cheaper than my old company who also insisted on it!

Laurence
Old 02 July 2001, 12:53 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I apid much less than that for my tracker monitor. Came to around £650 all in with discount.

Audio images 01274 733633.

The thing to remember is, forget about the technology etc, look at the success rate.

Tracker is still the most successful and the one recommended by all police forces witha retrieval rate of over 99%.

Trackstar is around the 50% mark or was when I bought mine.

Other things to consider, cost. Trackstar is far more expensive, and also, it doesnt work if the car is inside a trailer whereas tracker still does.

If really concerned then go for tracker horizon, which relies on the radio signal, but can use gps if necessary. about £1k including life subscription.

Oh and also, tracker is still discountable with privilege. They confirm it on the phone and also list it as an option on their online quote system.

(although they did think my car was a 2.2 legacy :eek

Michelle. I am not sure privilege actually discount for tracker, they actually refuse to insure without it!
Personally, if my car is stolen, then I dont want it back.

Old 02 July 2001, 03:01 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tracking systems start from around 199 pounds, then there is a monthly fee to pay, on the otherhand you can go the whole hog and pay upto 900 pounds and dont pay a penny again! Active systems are better than passive ones as the active ones inform the control center that the car has/is being moved illegally, the control center then informs you that the car is moving or if they cant get hold of you they inform the police, passive systems wait for you to tell the relevant control center that your car has gone and then they activate the system. The main debate on this subject is if you want a gps/gsm type system or a tracker, most now go with a gps/gsm as they have a better coverage, ie navtrack or rac trackstar, or if you want the only system that the police have full coverage on then go for tracker, the down side to tracker though is that if there aint a car in your area that can track your "borrowed" car then your stuffed where as gps/gsm systems inform the police and track it that way, the use of a car equipped with a tracking device is not needed.
Hope this helps a little, off to bed now as just finished work

Tony
Old 02 July 2001, 07:48 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Check with the insurer as to whether they need an active tracker before getting fitted....
Old 02 July 2001, 08:29 AM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DominicA:
<B>Check with the insurer as to whether they need an active tracker before getting fitted....[/quote]

Look here
Old 02 July 2001, 09:16 AM
blp
Scooby Regular

Sorry Tony, Your prices for a Tracker (as in brand name Tracker) are actually way over the top. I think the web site is
Old 02 July 2001, 09:41 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by blp:
<B>Sorry Tony, Your prices for a Tracker (as in brand name Tracker) are actually way over the top. I think the web site is
Old 02 July 2001, 09:52 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, I am sure I paid less than that.......

I have Tracker monitor fitted to my rex, no connections but I would recommend it. I got excellent discount from Privilege, runour has it that they don't discount for it any more.......if not, I shall not be renewing with them.........(renewal August )

Michelle.
Old 02 July 2001, 12:11 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

Just had a great insurance quote however the underwriters insist on tracker being fitted.
I know it is debateable as to the value of fitting in terms of deterrent .can anyone give me an idea of the cost to fit and is there any ongoing charges
Old 02 July 2001, 01:03 PM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm really surprised to hear so many people say that a tracker is required.

I got 30 insruance quotes last montth before I renewed - Only 1 broker (Tesco) required a Tracker to be fitted (& it had to be Tracker not NavTrak etc).

As there was a Group buy in the offing on NakTrak - I asked what discount I would receive on top of my CAT 1 - if I had a NavTrak fitted - The biggest drop in premium was a measly £40 - now that wouldn't even cover the costs of running it!

Plus I'm really dubious as to the value of Trackers anyway. My main concern is tow-away and these new GSM trackers - Wont work cause the engine hasn't been started (probably because of my excellent CAT 1 )

I welcome you thoughts & comments.
Old 02 July 2001, 06:07 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies I have gone to Privilege for my insurance £1200 cheaper than old company.Tesco were the ones insisiting on Tracker, only told me the day my insurance ran out so I was a day without the car. Im having a new Alarm system fitted and the dealer recommended waiting as there will be some new products similar but cheaper then Tracker
Old 02 July 2001, 06:27 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Moved to security forum.