Notices

Navtrak any comments

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2001, 07:09 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Thinking of having Navtrak fitted to my car when it finally arrives, any comments good or bad also anybody in the Swindon area used Autoelectrix comments ?

simon.
Old 13 May 2001, 09:57 PM
mal
Scooby Regular

Top class,had it on sti v5 now for about 4 months,have tested it a few times they can tell you where youve been and what time you were there-scary?only prob i had was with the dipsticks in the accounts department,took payment out of my bank twice!now finally sorted.got a good reduction on insurance[£200] with greenlight.can definitely reccommend it,plus if you change cars it can be removed and reinstalled.
Mal.
Old 14 May 2001, 09:18 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Well, other than awful service (ansafone on their control centre - glad my car hadn't been stolen) and two failed units...

I'd really recommend something else. I had nothing but hassle from them and would have liked to get my money back from them. The RAC Trackstar would get my cash now.
Old 14 May 2001, 08:20 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Talking

50/50

simon
Old 15 May 2001, 01:02 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by PCB:
<B> 50/50

simon[/quote]

Puff TMW said he had a business link that will do a BBS discount (think £100 fitting fee) but he hasnt come up with anything yet!

May be worth waiting till then like i am!!

Jza
Old 15 May 2001, 02:59 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Hmmm,

I dunno JZA, I'm a little put off by Chiark's comments... then again I guess there's just as many people saying how good it is. Does anyone know what the subscribtion fee is once installed?

Karlos
Old 15 May 2001, 03:03 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Honestly, I'd *really* use something that has the service to match! What's the point of installing these things if they fail (and don't tell you that they've failed) and why use a service with an ansafone on it???

They annoyed me. I'd rather have my money back and use a proper service.

Nick.
Old 15 May 2001, 03:50 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Karlos (not <I>YOU</I> again )

For basic system £9.99 per month inc VAT

For proactive system £14.99 per month inc VAT

Chiark has obviously had a bad experience with Navtrak & that is his opinion. I've also seen lots of good comments on this bbs about it. We (as in the people I'm talking for) feel that at the price, what the system offers can't be topped. With the potential insurance savings as well, then there is relatively minor cost for great potential saving (theft/NCB/grief etc). 10% off the what seems average £1000 insurance bill for most people covers the premium essentially

It's almost worth doing becasue its there & anything that stops toe-rags nicking cars & getting them banged up, gets my vote

Old 15 May 2001, 03:51 PM
steveyc
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Karlos: NavTrak subscription is either £9.99 or £14.99 per month dependent on whether you choose proactive or not.
Old 15 May 2001, 08:17 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Puff!

YES! it is me once more! Muha ha ahaha!

Sorry for dragging a thread out and excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between the basic and the pro-active system? Does the basic one have the answerphone on!!??!
Old 15 May 2001, 10:02 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

LOL

Basically, Proactive tells you your car has been chawed & Standard means you have to find it out for yourself

Old 16 May 2001, 08:57 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

To put it into perspective, my installer says that he's only had three units fail - two on my car, and one in another impreza (Hi Tal!). I'm confident that he's not doing anything wrong!

To give the complete story, so you know the reason for my agrievance... Pull up a chair and mug of your favourite beverage.

I had the unit fitted in December 1999, and at the time an active tracking unit was "due out in January" according to NavTrack sales, and this would just be a service that was switched on, no extra hardware needed.

In January I phoned to inquire about "active tracking" and asked them to test my unit. Active tracking due "March", and no, your unit isn't working.

One replacement later, I phone for another track. Unit not working again. And active stuff due out June. But there's a replacement unit that you'll need for the active unit which has battery back up - "for the hassle, we'll upgrade your unit and you'll have to pay for installation". My installer, the star, doesn't charge me.

Ho hum.

June comes, I phone the control centre (the emergency number), get an ansafone on a Saturday morning. They never phone back. So if my car had been stolen, I'd be a tad upset.

Get through to someone a couple of days later, who tells me that there is no ansafone at all and that I'm lying. Good customer service that. Oh, and active tracking, called Geofencing, is due any day now.

September's here, and I'm sitting next to someone from Minor Planet, who make the hardware, on a plane to Brussels. He tells me that Navtrack have got Geofencing badly wrong and that it will never work.

I phone navtrack. "Geofencing is being dropped (it was never launched) and we're launching an active unit this month."

I wrote once, and the letter was ignored.

I wrote again, asking for all my money back and mentioning trading standards as I was promised an active unit back in December 1999, and they've upgraded me to an active unit - hoorah!

The active unit uses "dallas" key technology and isn't bad - you have to touch a keycard (the size of a credit card, though it won't fit into a wallet as it has an 8mm lump on it) to a receiver every time you start the car.

However, it will only trigger actively if someone turns the ignition on in your car and doesn't use the dallas key. If they put it onto a low loader, you'll only know about it when you open your curtains and see an Impreza shaped hole in your life.

Final point: you don't own the hardware. You lease it with the subscription. It's not yours and, more worryingly, the data isn't yours either as they own the unit that's collecting it.

Have a thought about the consequences of that, vis a vis policing.

Puff's deal is a monster deal, and congratulations for setting it up! If you want a good value tracking system, go for it. The passive system is exceptional value for money and I can't fault it now the reliability is sorted. I think the active system is a bit of a bodge, and if you want active tracking I'd *really* think of something else. The only way someone will nick my car is with the keys or a low loader given the amount of immobilisation, and NavTrack guards against keys being stolen.

I hope this explains a bit more fully my reservations on the system. Any more questions, feel free to email me.

Puff, if you think that this is unhelpful do please let me know and I'll edit it. I hope I'm not being a pain with this!
Old 16 May 2001, 09:02 AM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ignore wrong tread doh!

Cheers,

Rob.

[This message has been edited by Rob D (edited 16 May 2001).]
Old 16 May 2001, 10:10 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Chiark

No problems with uneditted version

Information is power

The data that is collected (according to the Privacy Policy in Terms & Conditions) is not made available to 3rd parties. Interestingly, you (as the subscriber) can use that data (as you can purchase printouts) & it would stand up in a Court Of Law. Therefore, should you get nicked for 100 when you know you were not breaking the speed limit (as if ) you can prove it. Likewise, in case of an accident or if you were ever to need to prove you were somewhere (or not as the case may be).

[This message has been edited by Puff The Magic Wagon! (edited 16 May 2001).]
Old 16 May 2001, 07:24 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

[This message has been edited by PCB (edited 16 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by PCB (edited 20 May 2001).]
Old 18 May 2001, 10:55 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Arrow

In the interests of accuracy, this is the official
Old 20 May 2001, 11:35 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Those who have Navtrak - what do you think of it? Have you used the navigation assistance yet?

How do you actually 'disarm' the pro-active version?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>All data obtained from the NavTrak DCU is kept on a secure site, and
only accessed by NavTraks trained operators<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully not connected to any other sites (or the internet!)

Just had my Egg card cancelled as a Canadian DVD 'secure' site got hacked two days ago....

Old 21 May 2001, 08:34 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You disarm the active unit by touching a card into a recepticle. It works quite well, and the intention is that you don't keep the card with the car keys, so it succeeds on that point.

Navigation? I've tried it twice. Once worked well, the other time they couldn't get a trace on the car and phoned me back 15 minutes later, by which time the mother in law had come to the rescue...

Nick.