Old 11 February 2001, 12:34 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if the multi lock gear lock
is still around ? My friend used to have one
in his car and it was the only device that
stoped his car from being nicked.
I think the base which sits next to the gear lever (either on the driver or passenger side) is mounted onto the chassis then the mounting bolts is welded over. The gear is put either 1st or 5th (depending on side) and you slot a metal bar into the base unit
with the gear stick in between and thats it.
Old 27 February 2001, 08:16 PM
James Ross
Scooby Newbie

Kenny. Just had Multi-lock fitted by my scooby dealer. (See my post regarding removing door locks). I still think this is a great deterent and I felt better about a scooby dealer doing it as it does involve some drilling and so on. I had to move my phone's car-kit cradle up but dealer supplied a mounting bracket that comes out of the side of the stereo for a few quid. It looks ugly but certainly seems substantial. I'd be interested in other peoples opinions. Interestingly mine locks the gear lever in NEUTRAL. I suppose this means you can't start the car and drive it using the gear its locked in onto, say, a lowloader?? Don't know which is best option really - in gear or neutral. Having done a fair bit of research following a break-in I have come to the conclusion that all deterents are only useful as part of a complete package of anti-theft devices. I thought I had a lot of stuff until I read some threads in this section. The worst is they still try if they are pi***ed/drugged adolescents who dont care and that means some paint and repair. My approach now is that I've done what I can. I love it but it's metal plastic and rubber at the end of the day. ......I said that through gritted teeth.... just off to kiss scooby goodnight and sleep under a blanket in the bay window :-)
Old 03 March 2001, 01:30 AM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear you've got the multlock. I will
be getting one fitted in a few weeks,incidently how much labour did your dealer charge?
Why is the gear locked in neutral? that means they can physicaly push the car.
Old 05 March 2001, 11:43 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Wink

My multi-lock is also in neutral when locked and I think it is the same for all Scoobys.It can be pushed but can not be driven away like other locks and lets face it, the barrier dead lock (or barrier dead loss as it is called around here) can also be pushed if you dip the clutch anyway.What you need is a wheel clamp (mines a Peugeot) where the clamp can actually be turned upside down for locking etc (more fiddly)but impossible to drill as the key is facing to the ground and place it so if the car gets pushed or dragged it scrapes the floor.By the way they should be around £180 quid.
Old 07 March 2001, 11:39 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

Does that mean it can easily be towed away?
At least if the car was in reverse then it
should be parked facing out of the drive .

[This message has been edited by kenny.c (edited 07 March 2001).]
Old 08 March 2001, 11:29 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Green Scooby, what problems have you had with the Barrier Deadlock? Thanks.

Richard Hopkins
Old 08 March 2001, 10:45 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by kenny.c:
<B>Does that mean it can easily be towed away?
At least if the car was in reverse then it
should be parked facing out of the drive .

[This message has been edited by kenny.c (edited 07 March 2001).][/quote]

It can be if the car is broken into and does not have a wheel clamp on but so can the dead lock if the clutch is dipped and it also means they can reverse your car out (you cant with multi-lock)lets face it thieving tw**s dont really try and hot wire your car these days as they just break into your house and steal your keys.In my opinion neither is fool proof but there the best available.The best you can do is a good cat 1 alarm, gear lock,steering lock,wheel clamp and trackers (even these are not 100% fool proof) and maybe a cctv( I have) but if they want it they will get it.

Old 08 March 2001, 11:26 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hoppy:
<B>Green Scooby, what problems have you had with the Barrier Deadlock? Thanks.

Richard Hopkins[/quote]

None at all but when I got the car and wanted a gear box lock I was told to get the multi-lock instead of the deadlock by two alarm dealers (dead loss was thier words) when they could have took me for more money by buying the deadlock.At the end of the day there probably as effective as each other although I will probably now be prooved wrong.

Old 09 March 2001, 07:05 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Thanks Green Scooby.

Richard Hopkins.
Old 24 March 2001, 12:40 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

Just thought i'd let u guys know halfords with garage services now fit the mul-t-lock.