Notices

How's this for an idea?

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2001, 09:55 PM
sw_hunt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm head of engineering for a company that designs radio tracking devices.
We could make a device that sat in the car and transmitted to a box which could be either in your garage or near your work carpark etc. This could then transmit to an alarm box on your desk/in your pocket if the car was moved. The range from car to detector box could be adjusted from anything from 1m to about 30m so if the car moved out of this range your alarm box would go off.
A Tracker is only any good if you tell them it's stolen (could be hours after the event if you're sat in an office unable to see the car) and you can be well out of earshot of the car's alarm. We could also make it alert you if the car is broken into ie before it's even moved, by incorporating an ultrasonic sensor in the car box.
What would people be willing to pay for this system?
Anyone got any better (polite) ideas that this kind of technology could be used for?
Steve
Old 19 February 2001, 04:31 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Steve, actually, Tracker and the others (unless you go for the cheap option) will phone you (you give them three numbers to try) when the car is moved by anyone other than you, and they ask you if this is good or bad. If it's bad, that's when the Police get involved....

Matt.
Old 19 February 2001, 04:49 PM
craigamungos
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry steve but if you have been reading the threads over the past few weeks you'll have noticed that i'v been fitting alarm pagers to the cars so that they know if the alarm has been trigged. Also as said above the trackers now days tell you when your cars being moved so bang goes that one aswell.
Never mind keep thinking em up
Old 19 February 2001, 08:13 PM
sw_hunt
Scooby Regular

Ok - your pager will work if the car's alarm has been triggered...what if it hasn't ie the car's just been towed away. Please tell me how Tracker can know that your car's moved by a thief not by you. I think some have tilt sensors but that only works if it's tilted(!) so would it also work if the car was towed away flat?
I'm sure you're right but I don't understand how a Tracker or pager will help if someone just attaches a big rope and pulls!
Thanks.