Notices

Snap Off steering boss

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2001, 09:32 PM
Sport555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone got one of these, I was thinking.. If you remove the wheel, then you are left with half of the snap-off boss still connected to the Steering wheel boss (I can hardly understand what i am talking about??) My question is.. How is the snap-off boss connected to the normal boss, and could it just be removed and another steering wheel bolted on???

Anyone Help

Thanks

Andy
Old 15 February 2001, 10:22 AM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

I had one on my old car. They are brilliant if you dont minde walking around with a steering wheel in you hand! You just remove the old wheel, fix on the pod as you would do a "momo" type assembly - and then click the wheel in place. Mine had a couple of "paddles" that you pull at the same time and it lifts off. You cant add another wheel - its got a unique shape. I suppose if a thief took a new wheel and pod and had the right tools he could remove it and knick ya mota.

Only reason i dont have one now is the air bag!

I strongly recommend them!!!

James
Old 15 February 2001, 08:46 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

Currently got a snap-off boss and steering wheel on the scoob.
Would highly recommend one, a highly effective security device,and like james said if you don't mind walking about the place with a steering wheel in your hand and looking a bit of a plonker and getting wise cracks all the time then get one.

As James said it is a unique boss so no other steering wheel can be fitted.
The snap-off boss replaces the original stuff, the adaptor to the boss fits to the steering wheel.
The boss has lugs and the adaptor has holes thus when fitting can only go on one way.

I'm not sure but I thought that there was a variation in the positioning of the lugs and holes so each snap-off device was different i.e. you could not put another snap-off steering wheel onto a different boss, but I could be wrong, you may have to look into this.
With regards to changing the actual steering wheel for the future, the adaptor just screws onto the standard holes of the steering wheel, most steering wheels have the same hole configuration.

Hope this helps.

Muddy.
Old 15 February 2001, 10:48 PM
Sport555
Scooby Newbie

Thanks,

"the adaptor just screws onto the standard holes of the steering wheel, most steering wheels have the same hole configuration. "

So if a thief has another wheel with them, could they remove the adapter and screw a new wheel on, I'm a bit paranoid you see, I left my last car at my Mums for two days, cam back to find that someone had brought an alternator, fitted it and then pinched the car.. Ive now got 2 immobilisers, a disklok, and an all singing all dancing Clifford with proximity sensors.. but i am seriously Paranoid

Cheers

Andy
Old 17 February 2001, 12:58 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well, I think most scooby owners are paranoid about theft when it comes to their prized possesion.

All I can say is, that the opportunist thief will be completely detered in stealing the car without a steering wheel, ok so he disables the alarm but how is he going to drive off.

If it is a profesional thief, no matter what you have fitted they will take it by any means possible, so what have you to lose!!!.

Muddy.
Old 17 February 2001, 04:04 PM
Lou_C
Scooby Regular

Yeah, my friend has one of these on his Golf Gti and looks like a g1t carrying it round with him

Would it not be possible just to bung it in the boot? cos then the thieving scum has to break into your boot first and the chances of them being there when you put it in there are pretty low I would have thought?

This seem like part of an ideal security package, but I'm not sure I can be bothered to carry it round with me.

[This message has been edited by Lou_C (edited 17 February 2001).]
Old 18 February 2001, 10:10 AM
JCM76
Scooby Regular

The snap off boss has a small lock you insert and it stops the wheel from being reatatched with this in place. So you can put it in the boot, and not feel like an idiot carrying it around

James
Old 21 February 2001, 09:31 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

Forgot all about that little lock, will have to search through my drawers to see where it is!!!

Thanks for reminding me.

Muddy.