Notices

Which tracker and where from

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2003, 05:39 PM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unfortunate, personally i think out of all the security devices, the tracker is probably the most expensive for the least peace of mind. GSM jammers are 60 quid accross the web. Do a search on here for the cars that got stolen with a tracker, but werent recovered.
there's only so many places you can hid a GPS antenna when it has to be able to 'see' the sky. they're too easy to find, and **** easy to disable/jam

different insurance company perhaps?..

edited after noting that the Tracker Monitor is apparently VHF, not GPS+GSM, although quite how they triangulate VHF signals is beyond me.. wouldnt that imply they have antena's everywhere?
Anything using GPS is fcuked even under something as crappy as dense tree cover.

/2ob

[Edited by dead_neurons - 9/3/2003 5:45:10 PM]
Old 09 August 2003, 12:18 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Ok, so I stand corrected :-) Although I did receive that bit of (possibly false) information from a number of, supposedly reliable, sources.

With regard to jamming the GPS/GSM signals: it would be just as easy to jam the VHF signals (easier, to some extent, as the electronics required to transmit in these frequencies is easily within the capability of teh hobbyist/enthusiast).

I guess there's always a risk, and if they are that determined, they'll succeed. Bummer, really.

[Edited by dr_ming - 9/8/2003 2:58:58 PM]
Old 31 August 2003, 10:59 PM
Tiss
Scooby Regular

I am purchasing an Impreza and the insurance company insist on a tracker. Would anyone be able to give me any advice on the best system and where to purchase them from? I live in the north east of england.

Cheers.
Old 04 September 2003, 01:08 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

I agree that a tracker is expensive and possibly not very effective. Problem with GPS/GSM trackers is as previously described (although IMHO I don't think that the GPS performance is that bad - my hand held GPS unit works ok inside most buildings). However, the problem with the VHF trackers is that it relies on a tracker equipped police car, and not all police traffic cars are (Herts has no tracker equipped cars). The bottom line is that if your car is targeted by professional thieves, they are going to take it no matter what. One simple additional security measure is to get all the window glass etched with the reg. no. this won't stop it being nicked by someone who wants to do a bank job with it, but it will put off the ringers.
Old 04 September 2003, 04:16 PM
Tiss
Scooby Regular

The insurance company (Tesco) insist on one tho, so I will have to get one just wondering which make to get, either a tracke or trackster? Is anyone from around the north east?
Old 04 September 2003, 04:27 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

i can jam the gps signal my road angel receives by placing a gps device for a laptop next to it, and vice versa. now these devices do not intentionally jam each others signals, so if someone made a dedicated device to do it who knows what is possible, kinda makes gps trackers a little worthless.

Tracker on the other hand use vhf and their horizon unit uses gps and vhf.

its a tough choice. Tesco wouldnt quote without a tracker fitted and their premium with it fitted was £400 cheaper than the closest quote I could get without a tracker. So with this in mind the tracker and life subscriptions will pay for itself in 2 years anyway.
Old 04 September 2003, 10:48 PM
doctor CLIFFORD
Scooby Regular

Herts do have Tracker fitted traffic cars and numerus ground stations. All 52 police forces use Tracker and most of the staff at tracker have the recovery systems in there company cars !!
Doc .

Trending Topics

Old 04 September 2003, 11:36 PM
AlarmsRus
Scooby Regular

I`ll back you on that Dr Clifford, Tracker is the only stolen vehicle recovery system that is backed by all 52 forces. The other systems are relying on the Police to recover your car, Tracker recovery is carried out directly by the Police as it`s in their cars, Planes, Helicopters, Tracker Engineers have them installed to aid recovery.
95% of vehicles stolen with Tracker are recovered.
Old 11 September 2003, 12:20 AM
Dazza012
Scooby Regular

Talking

Try Liverpool Victoria, i have tracker monitor, but L&V weren't bothered.
Old 11 September 2003, 04:00 PM
Tiss
Scooby Regular

Could you please tell me the contact number for Liverpool Victoria?
Old 12 September 2003, 12:44 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Cool

TISS
Y
H
M
Old 13 September 2003, 11:25 AM
neilspinney
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

well we all know how some tracker system cost an arm and a leg!
I supply and fit Dantrack dt-100 and find there system very very good I have fitted over 50 systems so far and have not had any problems or customers come back to me!

the system has many feature that over systems don't offer!
here just acouple
1)most leading insurance companys accept the Dt-100 Trackers System (Subaru, Tesco, Privilege, NFU, Directline, ford, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, MG, Natwest and many more
2) speed alarm, you can set the system to go of at say anything over 60mph and it will text you mobile the details of what happening! ideal if you lend you car to someone or the wife!
3) the system will tell you via text message if some one is trying to steal you car
4) fence alarm if your car goes out side a preset area say 20mile radius from home it will alert you!
5) the system can be upgrade to full Sat Nav whcih includes an XDA phone (see O2's web site for full specs)

DT-100 Vehicle Tracker System Starts from £500
Sat Nav System which includes DT-100 XDA Phone starts from £1600
a discount of £30 to anyone who lives in the Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire boarder Area!

I know most people reading this will think this is just a plug but after working in a Subaru Dealership for the last 6 years I have found this system the best value for money!

for further info take a look at www.microathome.biz/DanTrack
or for an info pack send me your address details to info@microathome.biz

Neil Spinney
www.microathome.biz
Old 09 November 2003, 08:50 PM
doctor CLIFFORD
Scooby Regular

<<With regard to jamming the GPS/GSM signals: it would be just as easy to jam the VHF signals (easier, to some extent, as the electronics required to transmit in these frequencies is easily within the capability of teh hobbyist/enthusiast).>>

Just because you transmit a similar or identical freq. this does,nt mean it will jam the trackers signal !!
Far too many people take what they here down the local pub to be fact.!!

[Edited by doctor CLIFFORD - 9/11/2003 8:50:51 PM]
Old 09 December 2003, 02:15 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Wink

<<"Far too many people take what they here down the local pub to be fact.!!">>

A common feature of discussion forums, true. But I do design RF and automotive electronics for a living, so in this instance, I'd like to think I there's a vague chance I know what I'm talking about.

Just so long as you can sufficiently degrade the signal-to-noise ratio of data being received by the in-car and base station receivers, you can jam the tracker signals. There are a number of ways you could do this, but the easy (brute force) way is to transmit lots of RF power on the same carrier frequency, with the carrier FM modulated by a random noise source. Put this little box of tricks close to where you think the tracker transponder is located and it higly likely you will succeed in jamming it. Of course, you won't know whether you're successful until it's too late (ner-ner, ner-ner, your nicked, sonny Jim!) ;-)

[Edited by dr_ming - 9/13/2003 7:59:27 AM]
Old 17 December 2003, 10:19 PM
aceman_uk
Scooby Regular

TISS...

I just bought a mint WR Prodrive Classic scooby and is now insured by Liverpool & Victoria (L & V)

Contact details are :

Liverpool Victoria
0800 607607

They r FAB...