Notices

Clifford Concept 600 gone tits-up big style!

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2003, 04:11 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh well... after me singing the praises of Clifford systems (I have a self-installed 4+ year old Concept 50X system on my other car which has been faultless since I got it) it seems I've tempted fate and my Concept 600 is playing funny buggers.

Started in the town yesterday, couldn't disarm with my companion remote. Great, had to unlock with the key and attract loads of unwanted attention with the siren blaring while I entered the valet code.

At that time I assumed the battery was gubbed, although I didn't get any warning chirps beforehand like you're supposed to. Got home and got the master remote which worked - problem solved or so I thought. Turns out only button 1 works on the master remote, i.e. arm/disarm - no silent arm, no remote boot, no remote valet etc etc. Even then it occassionally decides to totally ignore that remote as well meaning I can't disarm the system. Tested the battery on the companion remote and it's fine, plus tried reprogramming it into the system and it still gets ignored.

As you can imagine this is a complete pain in the @rse, I have a very good knowledge of vehicle electrics and security systems and have checked all the obvious stuff - fuses, ground points, antenna connection to the control box etc, the car has been in bits and I'm no closer to sorting this.

I'm strongly suspecting the control box is faulty, and if so that's gonna cost a mint to replace - anyone any ideas of price (I can put it in myself, it aint rocket science a whole 3 connectors plus dataport and antenna). If it's the usual rediculous price Clifford charge for spares I may well just rip out the lot and fit a different system cos I'm well capable of doing so and could re-use much of the existing wiring (I do know how to work out what the unlabelled black wires do as well).

At the moment the system is armed but I have disconnected the siren by putting it into valet mode first then disconnecting - this way if the alarm goes off because I can't disarm at least the whole neighbourhood isn't disturbed while I enter the valet code. I still have my pager system rigged up so if it does go off at least I'll be notified even if the alarm is silent.

I'd be really grateful for any help on this one, can't believe this thing has gone wrong so dramatically when my antiquated Concept 50X still provides sterling service... maybe the stories of Clifford reliability going down the pan are true

Basically can someone who deals in these systems give me a quote for a replacement control unit on its own (I can swap out with the old one if necessary or if it's cheaper)? Cos if it's silly money I may just replace the lot. E-mail me if preferred paul_morga@yahoo.co.uk
Old 05 August 2003, 03:39 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately non-response to the keyfob is a very common problem with Clifford's it would seem. My Concept 300 plays silly buggers every now and then just like you say. I have been advised to get rid of it and install a Meta.
Old 05 August 2003, 05:27 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Hmmm been reading loads of reliability problems with Cliffords and I generally assumed it was due to poor installation on most of them, but it looks increasingly like the newer cliffords do have some major issues.

It speaks volumes that my old Concept 50X still works perfectly and has never given me any problems in over 4 years yet the C600 has failed big time in little over a year [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]. Maybe I'd be better off buying an old pre-G4 Clifford if I can find one and installing that, at least it's less likely to break.
Old 05 August 2003, 10:32 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

The main reason I was told that they are breaking is that the computer boards in them are too small for all the systems they are running and therefore they partially burn out.
Old 06 August 2003, 12:16 AM
doctor CLIFFORD
Scooby Regular

Paul is the antenna on yours a wire type or a metal type ? as the older wire type ones were ****
I went through a patch of changing 3 a week!
Mail me if you need a new one (poss warrenty)
Cheers Rich.
Old 06 August 2003, 12:53 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

It's a wire type, but I'm pretty sure it ain't the antenna cos channel 1 on the master remote works from miles away, it's just that none of the other buttons on the remote work so I'm pretty sure the system is just ignoring them.

Also the automatic RPM-dependant locking has stopped working which obviously has nothing to do with the antenna.

If you can help me out in any way (e.g. give me a price on replacement control box or any other suggestions etc) drop me a mail. Cheers
Old 08 August 2003, 08:51 AM
fastfox13
Scooby Regular

Take it back to the dealer and ask them to change the antenna. It isn't just the antenna, it is a receiver. It is more likely to be that. There was a change about a year ago.They now use a totally different type of receiver.
Another possible thing to check on the companion remote is the battery clip holding the battery in. The solder holding it to the board cracks. It may need resoldering.
But my bet would be the receiver.
Good luck
Old 08 August 2003, 09:10 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

There is nothing wrong with clifford alarms, ive had mine on for over 3 years now and the only fault i had was with the valet mode key pad which went **** up (replaced under warranty though )
Excellent alarm and would buy one again

Tony
Old 08 August 2003, 11:13 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Fastfox,

I had a look inside the companion remote and it seems fine, checked the battery also and it's fine. I'm pretty sure this is a control unit issue because button 1 on the master remote wouldn't work from 200 metres if the antenna/receiver was knackered and other things like RPM dependant locking have stopped working also.

Tony, I thought that myself as well, I have a 4 or 5 year old Concept 50X on my other car that still works perfectly. However the number of problems I read on here plus my own problem has made me start wondering about getting another Clifford. My valet switch has also been a bit dodgy at times but that's a minor issue.

Cheers.