Notices

Drive Poles (the ones that go into the ground)

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2003, 10:42 AM
matt5cott
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

What's the deal with those poles that go into the floor? which ones are the best?
Old 09 August 2003, 03:27 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

have a look at Rhino Protec

it seems they've updated their website as it was a bit clunky a year or so ago

no connections with them apart from having one of their posts

I went for one as I like the telescopic idea - you don't have to find somehere to put a removable one and mess around with a padlock and hinged designs seem inherently weak plus the rhino one I can get completely flush with the drive for maximum ground clearance

a lot of commercial premises seem to have their products and you can get some brick sh*thouse strength posts with suitably large prices to match...

depending who needs to operate the post, watch out how much the thing weighs to lift / lower it as some can get heavy

they can fit the thing for you (dig the hole and cement it in etc) but you'll need to sort out the top surface of your drive afterwards (e.g. relay block paving, re-tarmac etc :-() I did mine myself and its horsework digging a hole that deep in this weather

one thing to find out if you want them to do the installation are the timscales involved - delivery only might be a couple of days but it was going to be about a month plus for their fitting gang (commercial stuff gets priority as money / volume talks... IMO)

HTH

Apple
Old 10 August 2003, 10:50 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Talking

Apple
Things are fine on the job front thanks, Did a little bit on contracting but did not partically like it, so got a permament job working as a field engineer, seems easy so far. Got rid of the Nissan 200SX last week and got myself a Honda Civic Type r.

These post defiantely work, GF got the car out the garage a month ago, forgot the post was in (not sure how ) and ran into it, cracked all the bumper and number plate split in tto. Post just sat there, inpact speed less than 5 mph ! There are some big ones designed to secure artics etc, would hate to have to install some one of those.
Probably best when used with some other kind of garage security as well, eg alarm, extra locks on door etc.

Richard
Old 11 August 2003, 11:15 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

Richard - good news about the jobs - saving up for the Sti now the wages have started?

would hate to tap my post with the scoob bumper - they look as though they'd cost an arm and a leg to replace . "luckily" it's my old man's car that would hit it first if we forgot to drop it

Apple
Old 12 August 2003, 06:58 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Talking

I am going to have a look at the new shape Impreza due 2004 (I think) and then depending on how much mileage I do I will give it some serious thought, but to be honest enjoyed the annomity (SP) that the Nissan and the Honda have at the moment, but miss the beat of a flat four. Have seen loads of bug eyes around in the last few days.

Richard
Old 12 August 2003, 06:17 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Old 08 September 2003, 11:09 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Agree with Apple that Rhino are best used a lot by car dealers etc, but they are expensive.
A slighty cheaper alternative is the Autolok range I've got a round removable one inside my garage to give a nasty suprise to anyone that manages to get past the garage defender.
These things are suprising strong but you do have to mess around with padlocks.
Watch out when digging holes yourselves as they need suprisingly deep holes and if you hit a water / gas pipe then you are liable for the cost of repair. Get a builder to do it as they have public liability insurance.
ps I got a discount at Autolok as I did a little work for them

Richard

[Edited by rsarjantson - 8/9/2003 11:11:48 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 08 October 2003, 01:03 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

Howdo Richard - how's things at the mo on the job front etc?

I'd agree back about the depth of the holes - mine was about 3ft deep and a foot square - you find your arms aren't long enough to reach the bottom after a while (unless you're a gorilla ) and that was for one of the "smaller" posts...

Apple

[Edited by Apple - 8/10/2003 1:03:34 AM]