Notices

Barrier Deadlock

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2003, 10:31 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

There are a few older posts from last year on this excellent device, but I thought I'd repost to bring it back to everyones attention.

I've just picked up a Prodrive WRS with one fitted. It was the first time I'd seen one and was very impressed.

Select reverse gear, slide/push 2" long bolt in the passenger footwell into the transmission tunnel until it locks and bingo. Locked in gear. Some of the devices have a microswitch that also disengages the starter motor.

To release, lean into footwell (easy from the drivers side, even with the high sided seats) and release the catch.

Apparantly this device has never been defeated.

Spoke to the guys over in Liverpool and they are currently charging about £195 (mention the SIDC) fitted over 3 hours (they need to get underneath the car and weld part of the mechanism to the transmission tunnel)

They may have a dealer near you. If not they may come out to you if you can provide a ramp.

Visit www.vehiclesecurityinstallations.co.uk for more info.

Anyone else with one of these fitted?

Al.

[Edited by Alan C - 10/07/2003 10:15:14]
Old 10 July 2003, 12:03 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Yes, the guys in Liverpool did me a deal when i had a tracker and the barrier fitted. You are also correct that they have never been beaten even by ex car thieves who they openly allow to have a go at stealing the car (with approval of course)and they cant defeat it.
The dealers where my car has been have all rung me after i've left the car to say 'we cant get it out of reverse how do you unlock it'.
The only drawback is its lack of visability and because of such they can break in only then to realise they cant drive it.

Mersyside Police traffic cars have a version fitted to allow them to get out of the car with the engine running but unable to select a gear until you unlock it.

Zippy
Old 10 July 2003, 12:17 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

I agree with the lack of visibility, but I have sticker on the widscreen (big enough to be visible and small enough not to be aproblem)

Is the police version preventing selecting a gear a special option or can you use the reverse gear lock to do the same? Will go and try it shortly!
Old 10 July 2003, 09:26 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Yep had one fitted when mine was new, excellent device. Never managed to get an insurance premium reduction though.

Allan
Old 10 July 2003, 09:31 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

I didn't think that the device would be recognised by any insurance companies as I'd never seen it before, so I never mentioned it.

I must admit to feeling a lot better with it in. Definate sense of confidence that it can't be pushed away with the alarm going.
Old 11 July 2003, 08:28 AM
Allan
Scooby Regular

I think on BD's original blurb there was something about getting a insurance discount.

The only insurer I could find that had ever heard of a BD was Schofield, who I'm with now

Even BD's own recommended insurer didn't give a discount and wasn't sure what one was.

Allan
Old 11 July 2003, 10:18 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

The Police version stops any gear being selected and then needs a key inserting to unlock it.

I got a disscount of around 5% from Greenlight when i mentioned the BD device.You can fit them to almost all cars and vans, they do a large amount of business with delivery companies who like to leave the engines running on their vans.

Zippy
Old 15 July 2003, 10:33 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Does it not allow the engine to be started with the deadlock engaged as I wouldn't want to forget one morning and do some serious damage!?
Old 15 July 2003, 12:01 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Just tried mine out. You can start the engine with it engaged and locked. I had the cluth in though.

I remember that the supplier did say that there was a variant that did have a starter motor disabling switch built in as extra immobilisation if the bolt was in and locked.

I always put the clutch in before starting anyway, always have. So hopefully I won't be starting it up locked in reverse!
Old 18 July 2003, 12:10 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

No it doesnt disable your car from starting,all it does is lock it in reverse gear.Nothing technical just a very good manual lock.

Before anybody asks you cant have auto start on your alarm as guess what would happen.

Zippy
Old 18 July 2003, 10:44 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Zippy,

the guys at the company definately told me that there was a variant that immobilised the starter motor when it was locked....

'Belt, braces and extra supporting trousers' mate... you can't have enough security.. ever.
Old 22 July 2003, 11:40 PM
dave cos4x4
Scooby Regular

Alan C, the car can be pushed away with the alarm going off, they just push the clutch in, bump start it, then drive away in reverse!

Dave.
Old 24 July 2003, 05:08 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Dave, that is a way i know (Reverse) but they arent going to out run anybody though are they.

Most thieves will give up if they cant drive off in a forward gear.

There is always a way of taking anything, its all about the total amount of security, an alarm on its own probably wont stop them but a combination of devices will.

Zippy
Old 27 July 2003, 10:49 PM
dave cos4x4
Scooby Regular

Zippy, that right mate! you can not rely on an alarm alone.
I have a few devices on my car but i still feel that i need more on it.
I have a clifford,vecta immob,disclock. Still could do with a BD though.

Dave.
Old 30 July 2003, 11:07 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Question

This may seem like a dumb question but is it possible to have the device fitted by a Subaru dealer?

And has anyone had any "issues" with the standard of workmanship at Vehicle Security Installations Ltd?

I've got to say that it does sound like an excellent device. Like must people I've had to work long and hard to afford my Impreza and I don't want some work shy, thieving bast**d driving it away.

Old 31 July 2003, 07:26 PM
KINGY71
Scooby Regular

BULLRING.....Have e-mailed the company in Liverpool and it costs £215...He also told me Subaru are fitting the Dipol(same kind of device)for about £217 at the dealership...
Old 31 July 2003, 07:42 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Thanks KINGY71 - Much appreciated. Has anyone had one fitted?

Just found this info on www.subaru-insured.co.uk

-------------
Subaru Impreza WRX (2002 - )
Part No: SACC3394 - £135.00 + VAT + Fitting/Labour
Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type UK (2002 - )
Part No: SACC3393 - £135.00 + VAT + Fitting/Labour
-------------
Old 01 August 2003, 01:53 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just been to my Scooby dealer and have asked them to fit the Dipol to my new motor.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 01 August 2003, 07:11 PM
KINGY71
Scooby Regular

BULLRING goin down the same road mate let me know what its like....cheers
Old 01 August 2003, 09:19 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

the barrier deadlock is for the classic and the dipol for the new shape. both available from dealer. the barrier is £80 more than the dipol.
ken
Old 01 August 2003, 11:29 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Dealer has quoted £225 fitted; he's also throwing in an Aluminium gear frame. So it's not a bad price I guess, plus it's well worth it for some extra piece of mind.

I'm getting the car in September (on a MY53). I'll take some pictures and post them.

He explained that they fit a steel frame over the transmission tunnel and bolt it to the floor, therefore there’s no need to weld anything to the car. The bolts are then “snapped” off to prevent anyone removing it with a “handy 10mm” :-)
Old 11 August 2003, 12:24 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes trying to find a dealer not too far from me in wales who'll fit, failing that I'll have to go to liverpool, doh! Cna anyone reccomend a dealer? Or will they come to me?

Cheers Cal

[Edited by currymonster - 11/8/2003 12:31:29 PM]
Old 15 August 2003, 10:17 AM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I've been reading other threads on here that recommend leaving alarm stickers etc out of your windows, since you'd be advertising its type, and hence its weaknesses, but, since the barrier deadlock is undefeated, wouldn't it be a good idea to sticker the windows telling the theiving w*nkers its fitted? nothing to lose by advertising it i suppose?

/2ob
Old 21 August 2003, 10:16 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

When I had my tracker fitted when I bought my car (almost 4 years ago now), the fitter was telling me about this "deadlock" gadget. As it cost a few notes too much at the time, I decided against it, thinking Tracker was sufficient.

When my car was stolen 6 months later (and recovered 30 miles away thanx to Tracker and the Police), I swiftly decided that a deadlock was gonna be needed.

Certainly keeps me re-assured now - well, as much as you can be, having had it nicked once.

If anyone is in doubt, fit it, or be an insomniac

Matthew
Old 18 September 2003, 11:58 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Thats completely different to my Barrier Deadlock, mine is fitted in the passenger footwell and its a bolt that is permanently in place, to lock the unit you selecr reverse and then press the bolt in and then insert the special key to unlock and the large bolt pops out about 2 1/2 inches, but stays within the housing.
It also is much lower down and goes through the body shell and not the plastic around the transmission tunnel.

Zippy
Old 18 September 2003, 06:55 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Here's how to Dipol Works, same principle as the Barrier Lock in that any thieving b*stard would have to try very hard (or steal your keys) to nick the car.

The Bolt passes through the metal wall of the trans tunnel (not just the plastic), unfortunately my camera isn't good enough to show this. There is an A frame that's bolted into the inside of the trans tunnel, just like the barrier lock, except the Barrier Lock A frame is welded into place.

You put the car into reverse, insert the bolt and that's it - real quick and easy. As with the Barrier Lock you cannot remove the locking bolt unless you have a "special key".

I've read somewhere (may have been in Scoobynet) that Subaru Insured rate Dipol Lock to be the same deterrent value as having the car in a locked garage (on the STi anyway).

Cheers,

Rich
Old 19 September 2003, 09:49 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Opps Rich, i didnt read that yours is the Dipol unit, same principle but a slightly different way of doing it.

Zippy
Old 19 September 2003, 06:10 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Cool

That's cool