Newbie: Tracker devices

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2003, 11:35 AM
Muppet_No1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Hi All,

I'm based in Berkshire and just ordered me first scooby, a shiny new WRX. I'm over 30, got more than 10 years no claims, no points (although I'm sure that'll change), but I've been getting stupid quotes from insurers, with some asking for tracker devices fitted.

I was wondering what y'all thought of tracker devices? Anyone got one fitted? Any advice/recommendations about getting one? - Not sure if I want me car back if someone nicks it, but I guess the idea is no-one will try if you got a tracker, althought the scooby comes with a cat 1 alarm anyway.

Ho hum...Decision decisions...

aj

Old 25 March 2003, 11:42 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

IMO, even if the insurance co. dont want one, and it is financially viable for you, I would get a tracker of some kind fitted.

I have almost first hand experience of it this weekend (dad's car this weekend gone) and it was found a couple of hours later.

A tracker isnt a deterrent as it should not be advertised. What the theived do is peg it somewhere and park the car up and leave it for a while (the police said sometimes two or three days) and see if it has a tracker and is found. If it is still there they come back for it.

Again, IMO, whatever you do with the car afterwards, at least you know that the theiving (insert expletive here) hasnt got your car.

Another point, even if the insurance company dont require a tracker, having one fitted may decrease your premium. Obviously there is the cost of the tracker to offset though...

Whatever you do, I would certainly invest in some kind of visual deterrent, the Disklok is the fave and best I think (roughly about £70 although it can be found cheaper).

All the best

John
Old 25 March 2003, 11:44 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

All insurance companies I went for wanted one - no options. They even specify which ones to have.

I have also read on here not to shout about what devices you have on your car - no stickers etc - as this gives the c**ts some of idea what to look for.

I also have a Diskloc - bright yellow and very obvious. I have yet to hear a bad word against them.

[Edited by supertouring - 3/25/2003 11:47:52 AM]
Old 25 March 2003, 11:55 AM
SuperFlyGuy
Scooby Regular

Yeh, I've got a disklok too. Recommended by a family member who used to work for a recovery company, 90% of the vehicles they recovered were stolen/abandoned. He said they never found one with a smashed disklok, yet other deterents were always being removed quickly. Approx 30 minutes WITH power-tools I was told to remove a disklok. They cost approx £50 from Costco but unfortunately thieves are now realising they can't get past these security devices so they break into your house and nick your keys instead.....
Old 25 March 2003, 01:08 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have to concur with the advice: trackers are great for a little more peace of mind but use something else as a deterrant.

A year's insurance was reduced by over 200 quid for me by fitting a monitored tracker, which I reckon makes sound sense. Despite only covering the cost of subscription, it makes me happy.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 25 March 2003, 01:09 PM
Wilster
Scooby Regular

Norwich Union Direct didn't specify a Tracker...
Old 25 March 2003, 01:15 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Just make sure you go for one that the insurance companies will recognise in the future. for example a lot of Insurance companies now do not recognise Tracker retreives as worthy of a discount.

Im going for a tracker monitor which seeme to be recognised at the moment but who knows if it will be next year.

It seems to be the unit must be able to tell if it is being stolen and automaticly alert the monitoring center. the retreive doesnt do this the owner of the car has to alert the monitoring centre manually. maybe this is why the insurers no longer favour them.

Trending Topics

Old 25 March 2003, 02:41 PM
clifman
Scooby Newbie

commercial advertising removed

[Edited by chiark - 3/26/2003 9:52:33 AM]