Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

71 mins but they got it right
dont know if i should be happy?
Old 10 March 2003, 07:24 PM
rtw
Scooby Newbie

71 minute's is a bit poor isnt it? Maybe the RAC had other cars to track??? I had one of these fitted to my scooby, the company that fitted it took the car for the whole day and when i popped in at lunchtime to see how things were going, i was devastated!! They had the dashboard out, all the seats, carpets, roof lining, bonnet open, boot open....Everything that could be taken out..WAS! After hours of looking i found one little black box hidden right up the back of the dashboard, but i couldnt find the others! The good thing about the RAC trackstar is you can swap and change it with your cars. I took the one of my scooby and now im trying to sell it, so if anyone wants one thats 12 months old, give me a shout.
Old 10 March 2003, 08:04 PM
Nick@avs
Scooby Regular

Fin,

Firstly I'm intrigued as to why you were asking them where your car was, had it been stolen? You don't mention this in your post, so please confirm. If the vehicle hadn't been stolen you are wasting their time and showing little trust in the installation company.

The installation company would have requested Trackstar to "configure" the unit and do a first track. On completion of the installation they should of left an installation certificate with the vehicle, clearly showing the product installed and the relevant vehicle information.

If there is a genuine "alarm condition" Trackstar are extremely proffesional and quick. However it must be appreciated that their system would be totally clogged up if people just called in when they felt like it to check if their system is working. If you ever have any doubts about the functionality of your system I would suggest that your first port of call should be the dealer and then if they fail to address any problems, call Trackstar H.O.

There are systems out there that have a facility to call in on a premium rate line and request the location of your vehicle, this of course costing you money each time you do so.

Old 13 March 2003, 02:25 PM
andycrowther
Scooby Regular

agree with the last post...when mine was installed the initial activation wasn't detected so my car needed leaving overnight...the problem was traced to a faulty aerial which was changed and all was oaky...it took them about 5 mins from acticvation which is normal i believe for first activation...i don't know where mine is and i don't want to...
Old 13 March 2003, 08:28 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Navtrak phoned me within 4 minutes the last time I tested it - when I was selling the car . Impressed the new owner, and impressed me.
Old 15 March 2003, 10:30 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a premium number etc, for RAC Trackstar, as I would like to check mine is working (for peace of mind)

As a week a so I set the alarm off by accident, and never got a phone call, but I was still sorting out the payment/forms etc which has now been done

Steve
Old 15 March 2003, 08:49 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Last year I had to have my scoob brought home on a low-loader due to a problem with the immobiliser remote. Trackstar phoned my mobile around 10 mins after we set off to say they were tracking my car. This was despite me already having told them what was happening - they said they always phoned the contact number back, regardless of anyone having called them first.

G

Trending Topics

Old 15 March 2003, 09:41 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

You can get a cetificate from them if you haven't got one.

Stu...
Old 15 March 2003, 10:34 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

*Sonic*

You should be sent a Rac Trackstar card (credit card size) with all the details.....

Tel: 0808 100 999 1 - Rac Trackstar enquiries
(normal business hours)

[Edited by darms - 3/15/2003 10:35:31 PM]
Old 17 March 2003, 05:18 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

Sorry dont agree with Nick(AVS) when he mentions wasting peoples time.

What proof do you have that the system is working correctly without this spot check???????

I used to fit trackers in the early days, and I wouldnt like to say what percentage left the workshop working.
Yes they worked intially, but once all trim was put back etc who is to say something hadnt come off!!

Also Its a great idea for a piece of mind knowing that its working,,

Also if you do take it back the whom fitted it I wonder what they will do to test it,,,hmmmm ring them up and get it tested!!

Why pay money into something that you dont know works untill its stolen and no1 can find it..bit late then.

Would you buy something electrical that you had no physical means of testing before hand,, I wouldn't.

PS.. I do have the RAC Trackstar and Yes I do have it tested once a year on renewal.
(Piece of Mind,,knowing its working and that the insurance is not invalidated)

[Edited by mccltd - 3/17/2003 5:21:19 PM]
Old 17 March 2003, 10:01 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
THanks Darms

I forgot to phone em today

but I did phone em yesterday after setting the alarm off, and all is sorted now

Old 18 March 2003, 06:22 PM
Nick@avs
Scooby Regular

Dave (MCCLTD),

Just to put your mind at rest with this issue of a functional check and test post install. Firstly I would like to point out that it is considered best practice within our company to carry out a functional check and test once all panels have been correctly installed. This is done for the simple reason that as you quite rightly state, because you don't know if something has been disturbed on refitting of panels. Products have evolved considerably since you last installed tracking systems and the Trackstar units can be fully checked by the installer without any assistance from the control room using it's comprehensive on board diagnostic facility. The final check or "First Track and configuration" once all panels have been refitted confirms the precise vehicle location and proves the unit is functioning correctly. There should be no need to carry out further checks once this is completed. Furthermore, customers may not be aware that Trackstar carry out systematic checking of all units at a predetermined frequency as a matter of course. It is in their interest to ensure that all units are working 100%.

It should also be pointed out as a further case for having the confidence to refit panels once the onboard diagnostics have been read, that in our experience we have never had a Trackstar product that has failed to work first time out the box.
Old 18 March 2003, 09:28 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

As you say things have evolved since my days of tracker fitting, but then again that couldnt have been difficult.
Also as you say I did not know that the unit is checked by RAC at a set frequency during the year, but then again they didnt even contact me reference my yearly renewal, until I contacted them.

But atleast when the customer does do an out of the blue check on the system it does give us piece of mind when they tell us exactly where the vehicle is.

I for one wouldn't mind paying for the checking service, as I used to be in the electronics area of R&D for vehicle security and understand about the enviroment these system are put under.

The systems do not seem to have a service period and as we all know what electronic equipment is like 'It can fail completely or become intermittent which will not help when it's required for it's duty.'

Anyway if it has a 0% failure rate lets keep our fingers crossed it stays that way.
Shows good workmanship..

Dave.
Old 18 March 2003, 09:48 PM
Nick@avs
Scooby Regular

Dave,

I would suggest that anybody out there who has ANY tracking device and is concerned about the functionality of their system and feels they should be checked on a more regular basis could lobby their provider to facilitate a self funding service to enable checking of their system as and when they feel neccessary.

This could also be used as a "Big Brother" system to check on cheating wives,husbands or the cheeky mechanic ranting your car down the M4 when you thought he was servicing it !

The concern shown for individual's cars on this debate is admirable, but I would advise that the vast majority of systems if correctly installed should give many years of reliable service.
Old 21 March 2003, 09:40 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Question

Is that silver card system new???
When I had mine installed 3 years ago all I received was a receipt for my money and a installation verification on a sheet of A4???
Old 03 October 2003, 04:31 PM
fin
Scooby Regular

Question

GOT ONE FITTED NOW!!

RANG THEM TO SEE IF THEY CAN FIND MY CAR NOT IN A CONTAINER OR UNDERGROUND JUST IN A CAR PARK

BEEN WAITING 50 MINS NOW!!

HOW FAR CAN YOU GET IN A IMPREZA IN 50 MINS???

£600 AND ALL I GOT WAS A SILVER CARD

TOOK ME ABOUT 2 MINS TO FIND WHERE THEY PUT IT

IT WAS INSTALLED BY ONE OF THERE APPROVED INSTALLERS BUT I DIDNT GOT A CERTIFICATE HE SAID YOU DIDNT GET ONE AND YOUR COPY OF YOUR DIRECT DEBIT WAS PROOF FOR TESCO

[Edited by fin - 3/10/2003 4:35:33 PM]