Notices

Tracker Insurance Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 12:59 AM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I bought a tracker Retrieve unit 11 months ago along with a lifetime subscription, so that Tesco would give me insurance as it was an approved tracking device.

I have now come to renew my insurance and have discovered that Retrieve is no longer considered adequate by Direct Line, Tesco, Egg and a few other insurers.

So I spoke to Tracker UK about this. I explained that I had only had the device 11 months and I asked them if they would be willing to let me pay an upgrade fee so that I can have a tracker Monitor or Horizon instead of my Retrieve unit as a good will gesture to secure my continued custom. Their answer was an emphatic NO! Even after i mentioned that i knew of someone who had done this, they said that they couldn't do that for everybody as they dont make money from it.

They said I can purchase a new Monitor or Horizon unit with a small discount (if fitted by themselves) but cannot just pay an upgrade fee and must in no circumstances remove the retrieve unit and try to sell it if i do purchase a new unit.

This leaves me in the situation where I cannot now get insured with some of the major insurers, my renewal quote is much higher than expected and the only answer is to purchase a brand new unit for £400+ when i spent over 600 less than a year ago with them!

Tracker UK and/or Tesco, this is not a good PR exercise. I am young and both me and my wife love performance cars, so you are losing out on many future sales here. My wife will be buying a car soon and we had considered a Horizon unit for it. This will now not be the case. You have lost our future custom.

Eagle7

Old 05 February 2003, 07:41 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
I'm with elephant and they do not need you to have a tracking device fitted to be insured.

I got a trackstar anyway (makes me feel better !)
Old 05 February 2003, 10:14 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

If you only require one for insurance purposes try Liverpool Victoria they don't require Trackers.
Old 05 February 2003, 01:31 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wondered when this one would rear its ugly head again, i have tracker retreive fitted to my STi V, it was fitted approx 2 years ago, im currently with direct line & they have never said to me anything about upgradeing to monitor, why i no not, but i keeping well stum , the last time this type off thread appeared someone told me that they had a cut in point were by anyone wanting new insurance with them must upgrade to monitor, but existing customers would not require to upgrade. I think the post was on the darkside debating this about 6 months ago, try a post on there aimed at Insbro, good luck
Old 05 February 2003, 07:17 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

If i stay with my current insurer i dont need to upgrade, it just means i cant leave and come back to them or go to egg, directline etc.

I have had a REALLY good (almost unbelievable) quote from LV-Frizzell so will probably be going that way

I am just not impressed with tracker UK as I am a paying customer of theirs i feel they could have done more. Next car will not have tracker retrieve thats for sure!
Old 05 February 2003, 08:36 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
Eagle 7,

do you have a web address for that UNBELIEVABLE insurance quote ?
Old 05 February 2003, 08:48 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

See also http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=163838

mb

Trending Topics

Old 05 February 2003, 08:57 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

If you do have to upgrade and don't want to stay with Tracker, RAC have a deal on the Protector it's about £24 per month for 36 months interest free. Thats fully fitted with lifetime subs.

Stu...
Old 05 February 2003, 11:50 PM
scoobdoo
Scooby Regular

These big faceless companies, I had a problem with VW, and they just walk all over you, dont you just want to **** them all. PS hows the brakes going?
Old 08 February 2003, 07:24 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

I got a spec quote for an import , last week from L & V;
asked them about cat1 alarms & trackers...said didnt need anything;
cos if the guys wanted to steal it they would anyway..!!
well i spose it is some bit of realism.
(they wouldnt offer me a discount for a cat1 alarm or tracker tho)
Old 11 February 2003, 12:51 PM
Kiwi
Scooby Regular

The tracker units are a big insurance con. The insurers only give you a small discount for having a unit and will declare in a few years time that the unit is not acceptable !

Do the insurers have a deal with the tracker companies to tell make a unit unacceptable ?

Best thing is to find an insurance company that does not require a tracker unit.
Old 12 February 2003, 01:27 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Smile

I just got a quote from egg and they did not specify that I needed a tracker for my STi8. Infact I only had to pay £611 fully comp with protected no claims. I am 30 and car is garaged
Old 12 February 2003, 08:06 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

sti8 uk model already has RAC trackstar built in!

if yours doesnt, do they know its not a standard uk model? insurance could be void if not!
Old 02 June 2003, 08:27 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

scoobdoo: brakes are oh so sweet!
fited em in under an hour and got em bedded in nicely with an hour of rally driving in the rain after i'd fitted em. I'm well impressed. I got them from falkland in the end all the way from Fife and it only took a day to come! great stuff!

Marklemac: Best thing is to ring around some companies the best for me have been keith michaels who had a guy from scoobynet who knew all about my mods and said that most of the mods would have no bearing on the quote, and liverpool victoria(frizzell) who came in over 400 quid cheaper than my renewal with tesco

[Edited by Eagle7 - 2/6/2003 8:29:51 PM]