Notices

MAJOR!!! alarm installation problems

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2002, 09:29 PM
GaryM
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

As a dedicated lurker to the scoobynet forums I have come into the limelight to describe how my alarm was installed by GAP security a few weeks ago.

I’ll only state the facts and let you judge for yourselves the quality of the installation.

The following are not my own observations but are from a review of my installation carried out by a highly professional VSIB installer based in Leeds. Thanks to ‘Maximum Impact’ and a very speedy response from Clifford I may be close to resolving the situation I find myself in and would just like to thank Max publicly for the considerable time and effort he put into examining my car.

After a very thorough inspection, which lasted all morning, the following were some of the problems that were noted:

· The alarm ECU instead of being screwed down inside its steel casing (Thatcham requirement) had been removed from its steel case completely and cable tied to a bracket in the footwell area.

· There was no fusing at all on any of the power feeds (5, 20 and 30 amps) that were all wired into the ignition power supply.

· Wires into the engine bay run through an unprotected bare metal hole drilled close to the throttle pedal where chafing could occur.

· Dual zone sensor mounted under the dash surrounded by metal, greatly reducing its effectiveness.

· Tilt sensor (Apparently particularly sensitive to changes in temperature) mounted on the bottom of the heater!!!

· Wireless fuel guard immobiliser mounted .......... NOWHERE. This wasn’t where I was told it had been fitted and after a lot of time spent trying to locate it, it was proved to me by various means that it wasn’t installed.

Presumably after being contacted by Clifford (Thankyou Clifford) I received a phone call from GAP who stated that the installer (who was subcontracted) no longer worked for them although as he said he had worked for them for years it makes me wonder how he had lasted so long.

GAP went on to offer to reinstall the alarm or uninstall with a full refund. When I ‘suggested’ that I wanted a different company to do the work they did immediately agree to cover the cost of deinstallation, arrange the pickup of the parts and refund the original purchase price along with any expenses I had incurred.
I am now just waiting for the refund to go through.

Needless to say I have already chosen an installer to remove and reinstall my alarm and even though it means a 500 mile round trip from Kent I am looking forward to having a bright blue LED flush mounted on my dash.
Old 19 November 2002, 10:26 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Well done Gary for highlighting this. And congratulations on joining the blue LED club!!!
Old 20 November 2002, 10:50 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Glad to see you got it sorted in the end

Tony
Old 20 November 2002, 02:47 PM
GaryM
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

Not quite there yet. I'll be happy its sorted when I have my refund and compensation, which won't be as simple as I was led to believe.

They now want to inspect the alarm before issuing a refund and have changed their minds and said they want to uninstall themselves.(They won't pay for an uninstall)

So I now need to organise a seperate visit by GAP to inspect and remove the alarm prior to my installation taking place.

At least they won't be sending the same guy!!

[Edited by GaryM - 11/20/2002 2:48:18 PM]
Old 24 November 2002, 07:01 PM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

they dont call them Crap security for nothing.... shame they dont just sell sigma they give cliffords a bad name