Notices

Tracker Retreive insufficient

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2002, 03:54 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just read a post from the dark side off one guy who has been told by direct line that his Tracker retreive is no longer sufficient & he has to upgrade at full cost to a Tracker monitor at full price, guess which one i have!!!!!
Old 28 August 2002, 04:20 PM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any reason why? Ie: Location, mods on car, value of car etc etc...
Old 28 August 2002, 04:24 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Crush, this is the guys orig post

Insurance time again sigh !!!

Went on line to Direct Line to insure me 6 ,got to the section on tracking devices fitted and guess what ? You got it mine was no longer on the list.

How can this be I only bought it 11 Months ago !!

Tracker Retrieve is no longer acceptable,You will have to to fit Tracker Monitor or Tracker Horizon replied the helpful person at Direct Line , but I only bought it 11 Months ago on your recommendation I replied , In fact I only bought so I could take out an insurance policy with your company I explained.

All to no avail , I was to be left unisured and left with a completely usless piece of equipment as far as this and it seems many other insurance companies are concerned.

How can this be ?

There is nothing wrong with the Tracker unit it works just fine , all you need to do is call and tell them some B*****D has nicked me 6 and they will go and find it for you!

Does the insurance company not think i am able to

A: tell me 6 has been nicked or
B: I can't use a phone

Not one to take Issues like this Lightly off we go to TRACKER HQ !!

Good Morning I said , did you realise that your original and top selling product is no longer deemed acceptable by the majority of UK Insurance companies I gleefully retorted with their customer services representative , I've only just started with the company he replied i'll transfer you to.... and with that silence !

Hummm maybe there is something in that being able to use a phone after all.

2nd attempt , Good Morning - yep we have been through this son , please transfer me to your supervisor.

Supervisor : Outlined the problem , we can transfer your subscription for you Sir but you will have to purchase a new Tracker Monitor Unit at full cost i'll transfer you to our sale department... aghhhhhh!!!!

Good Morning Sir , Good Morning ! there is absolutely nothing good about this Morning at all I retort !

I outline my predicament again : I can't get Insured with Tracker Retrieve , its only 11 Months old , I know its not you fault ... HELP

Would you like to talk to our Marketing Director ?

To ******* right I would !!

Good Morning Sir ,Vick Hartley Marketing Director Tracker Network UK Ltd

Good Morning Vick : You know the next bit so we will skip that

No we were not aware that major insurer's were viewing Tracker Retrieve as an unacceptable device for High performane vehicles.

Please supply us with your insurer's details we are going to be on the phone to them ! No probs Vick

We understand your predicament John and we will do all we can to help you out.Would an upgrade to the Tracker Monitor be acceptable to you and you just pay the difference in cost between the two units.

Yes in indeed it would , considering that with the current unit I would be unable to get a reasonable Insurance quote from any major insurance broker and 10 mins ago was looking at having to junk the Retrieve and buy another complete unit at full cost.

WELL DONE TRACKER , they have resolved the problem even though they did not create it ( we have Direct Line and others to thank for that ! )

Thanks very much to Vick and his team for resolving this quickly and effectivley and I wish his company the best of luck against the poxy insurance companies who change policy without giving a toss about the inconvienience they cause ,by some muppet deeming a perfectly capable product to be no longer acceptable.

Footnote :

Phoned Tett Hamilton for a quote - £ 50.00 lower than Direct line on line even with me house insurance and discount for doing it on the internet ( had to use a phone to do that ! )

So Ive binned Direct Line and all I need to do now is get my house insurance with someone else and that will be the very last time you will ever inconvienience me !!!

Again well Done to Tracker UK and no I do not work for them before you ask.

JT
Old 28 August 2002, 04:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

For some reason some (if not all insurance co's) like to have a pro-active system (ie it automatically activates if the car is taken), the reason being that if your on holiday and car is in garage it could be 2 weeks before you come home and the car has already been stripped of any security devices and ringed
Thats the reason they dont accept it.

Tony
Old 28 August 2002, 04:38 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Many of the Insurance companies state you need a pro-active tracker such as Monitor. Privilege which are Direct Line told me this in November last year when I took a policy out with them. I had a policy with them for a previous car the year before and that only needed a Tracker Retrieve. It is good to see Tracker being so helpful.
Old 28 August 2002, 05:24 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Bit do they actually look for the car when the alarm goes off. What is the actual success rate in finding the cars, and catching the scumbags who stole them??
Old 28 August 2002, 05:32 PM
Type_RA
Scooby Regular

Stevie they have a list of numbers to ring and if they cant get through or you confirm it stolen they activate the tracker unit is my understanding.
Old 28 August 2002, 06:27 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Got my insurance with Tesco back in March.

They stated ...

a) You need proof that a CAT1 alarm/Immobiliser has been fitted

b) You need proof that a tracking system has been fitted.

At no time did they mention what level or tracking system needs to be fitted.

I'm now wondering how long it'll be before Tesco want the 'all singing dancing' TRACKER installed.

Anyone?

J.
Old 28 August 2002, 06:32 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Tesco is part of the same group as Direct Line/Privilege I would call them up and confirm that if you have a Tracker Retrieve they are still covering you for theft.
Old 28 August 2002, 06:40 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Wink

When you buy insurance online as i did with tesco, they have a selection of tracker systems you can pick from and i picked the tracker 'retrieve' which was an option..... so they offer it as an option and they cannot turn round and say its insufficient if it was on there site when you purchase your insurance...

What people have found and from discussion in the insurance forum, is that if the car is already fitted with the tracker 'retrieve' before you buy the car they will accept it, however of you are going to be getting it fitted after purchace of the car they want you to have the full tracker monitor, but this is only direct line who said this..!!

Dan

Old 28 August 2002, 07:01 PM
supercoops
Scooby Regular

I got Tracker Retrieve too! Insured with Tescos, geez I hope it's okay!!!

John
Old 28 August 2002, 07:05 PM
daz b
Scooby Regular

I have had the same probs with motorbike insurance regards alarms
Old 28 August 2002, 07:14 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Question

I dont get this tracker lark - my MY99 Scoob is insured with Royal Sun Alliance (More Than). At no point was I asked for proof of cat 1 alarm/immobiliser and certainly no mention of any tracking device.

Premium is reasonable too. If companies are insisting on a tracker, just go elsewhere - certainly not a pre-requisite to insuring a Scoob....
Old 28 August 2002, 07:44 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

else where for me was about £400-1000 more...!!!

Dan
Old 29 August 2002, 07:40 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

As an existing customer with direct line & just having got my renewal notice I checked the notes that came with it last night & theres no mention of the need to upgrade to monitor, me thinks i'll keep stum on this one, if they have not informed me than i am hardly liable am I ?
Old 29 August 2002, 08:57 AM
TolTec
Scooby Regular

I recently insured with Liverpool and Victoria (cheapest by far), they did not even ask about an alarm or tracker system before giving me a price. When I queried this and pointed out that I had a Cat1 alarm the helpful lady told me it made no difference.
Old 29 August 2002, 09:12 AM
HamishTheWagon
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm with Tesco and was told minimum HAD to be a Tracker Monitor
That was almost 1 year ago. (MY00 wagon).

I would definitely phone and find out.

Hamish The Wagon.
Old 29 August 2002, 09:22 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Last time this came up it seemed to be established that if you had Tracker Retrieve fitted and had an existing policy then you were OK. If you were getting a Tracker fitted for the purposes of taking out their policy then you had to get one of the better ones (eg Tracker Monitor) That just leaves the scenario where you already have Tracker Retrieve fitted but want to take out a new policy with the insurer - I expect they would still take you.

Like any piece of information amongst the "Direct" selling insurers you can ask about 17 different phone monkies and get 17 different answers. I tend to ask for a supervisor if anything like this comes up.
Old 29 August 2002, 10:14 AM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

We were told at renewal time with Priviledge that our Retrieve was no longer accepetable.. Said that's a pity as we had it fitted on your advice... Spoke to supervisor and was told they would renew... Get it in writing that they accept the device you have fitted.
Old 29 August 2002, 12:37 PM
majhaar
Scooby Regular

last week i got an online quote with tescos and there WAS a long list of trackers available.

so ive just bought an 95 import WRX, had a tracker retreive fitted
phoned up tesco and they said tracker retreive was nolonger sufficient. even online there are only the tracker monitor + horizon and another availabe

Mark
Old 29 August 2002, 12:51 PM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Hi All

Earlier on in the year I had a reterive installed as Direct Line online required one.
Renewed my insurance a month ago with Direct Line and stated that I had the Tracker fitted. They replied that I did not need a Tracker fitted to my MY98 ???????
I re asked the question the following day when I added the mods to the policy, again no Tracker required ????? even though on line it is a requirement.

Didnt argue

Cheers

Neal
Old 29 August 2002, 06:44 PM
Nick@avs
Scooby Regular

The true situation here is one of people often making a grudge purchase into to get their insurance. Often people are strapped for cash because they've just paid for the car and the insurance and now some bleeder's asking for a big wedge to install a Tracking system. I can only speak for myself, but in my opinion a Tracking system that depends on you calling them when you realise your car aint where you left is absolutely useless! For this reason we have never offered for sale inadequate systems like this and as a result have suffered loss of business, but we feel we've done the ethical thing. It makes perfect sense to make informed decisions before purchasing a tracking systems.
Old 30 August 2002, 06:40 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I purchased mine so I could insure my car not to protect it, I feel if someone nicks my car then thrashes the pants off it and recks my pride and joy I dont want it back. So the cheapest option was always going to be the best just so I could insure it.....

Cheers

Neal
Old 31 August 2002, 12:09 AM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

this doesn't seem to make sense. I got my car six months ago in february and got my insurance through tesco (part of directline group). I sorted the insurance online and one of the options was which tracker, they had the retrieve as one of the options! I then booked my car in to have a tracker retrieve fitted based on this.

I do not think it is acceptable if Tesco are going to turn around and tell me that it is no longer adequate and i must have a monitor or horizon! If they are going to do this they should at least sort out something with Tracker UK so that we can just pay an upgrade fee as happened above.

I wont mind paying an upgrade fee, but paying for a completely fresh install is out of the question, when my existing system is 6 months old based on tescos requirements on their website!