DIY Tracking Device

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2002, 05:11 PM
cube
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

Has anyone heard of or got any experience with the TrakM8 product.

[URLhttp://http://www.gpsw.co.uk/acatalog/P_TRAKM8.htm/.

I've got RAC Trackstar, but would welcome comments about it as a seroius alternative.

Cube.
Old 18 June 2002, 05:29 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

You will probably find that it is not insurance approved which means you will have to keep Trackstar going.
Old 18 June 2002, 05:43 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Will undoubtedly do as it says on the box. Doesn't look to have a "sleep" facility or battery back-up both of which might be a concern in certain cases.

Essentially does the same as a trackstar (capability of) but you don't have the ability to remotely view its position on a map in real time, as they do. You can obviously add the reported position to a map & see where it is, but with SMS there might have been some delay in asking for a positional fix and having that return. SMS is also costly to run @ 10 - 15p a message.

With the likes of trackstar, you are paying for them to have a 24hr monitor to act when things happen. It may be that you're asleep or in a disco when something happens & you miss the call - thats what you pay them for. They then will track the vehicle anyway and attempt to contact you at a number of numbers.

It is unlikely that Trakm8 will be insurance approved or acceptable to them as such. They probably wouldn't want you recovering the vehicle yourself either ( ) as that might put people/property at risk.

I'm one to speak as in the process of putting together a slightly more advanced version, but our intended market is fleet based, automatically reporting back positional data via GPRS every minute (whatever programmed) to a base location. So no costly SMS messages or data calls

Old 18 June 2002, 05:48 PM
cube
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, some considerations there I'd not thought of like cost to run and insurance etc.
Interesting device all the same, features and facilities wise if you disregard its security suitability.

Cube.
Old 18 June 2002, 05:56 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

I seriously looked at this but due to the installation of the device and positioning of aerials etc.. I thought it would be pretty obvious from outside that something was fitted... hence making it easy to disable...

cool gadget though!