New Scooby owner looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2009, 01:18 AM
garry9777
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Scooby owner looking for some advice

Hello to all you kind chaps,

I have just plunged into the world of Scoobys and picked myself up a 05 Obsidan Black WRX (totally standard) picked it up down south then made the grueling drive back to Aberdeen but i tell you what a nice pleasure it was . Now i am looking to make a few subtle mods, Wheels, Exhaust etc.

What i would like your input on is should i go for 17's & drop it a little or 18's and leave it standard suspension or if i would get away with 18's and dropping it,wheels and some suggestions on what may look the part aslo if i go.

Whats a nice exhaust system not to noisy put enough to get that nice flat 4 sound out into the open.

Any suggestions imput would be very welcome.

Garry
Old 26 January 2009, 10:33 AM
C_WRX
Scooby Regular

First off, welcome to the world of Scooby ownership. If you're heading down the mod'ing route then you'll have loads of fun but it'll be expensively addictive.

I have a 2004 WRX and have gone down a similar route to what you are asking. Not sure if yours is still a Blobeye version ??
It is very much a personal choice when you do these things but getting others peoples opinions has helped me. You will get loads of suggestions folk on various forums (this one or Scottish Scoobies/SIDC) but I'd say take your time and review as much as you can before purchasing.
If you View My Scooby link you can read a few of the things I did - not the latest pics though.
I have Rota GRA's 18's on now with Prodrive uprated springs (hopefully pic attached shows them) and they are fine - some go for a lower/harder set up but can be a bit uncomfortable to live with as a day-to-day drive.

I went for the Scoobyworld Racebox back box as it is one of the quietest ones (think) but you still have a rumble.
Other items off top of my head, and this list could go on and on, is maybe replace the 2nd cat and centre section too as it'll give you a tiny bit more power/rumble but without a remap being needed. Also perhaps a new panel filter, you'll get the suck noise (and again a couple of extra bhp).
Old 26 January 2009, 11:20 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C_WRX
I went for the Scoobyworld Racebox back box as it is one of the quietest ones (think) but you still have a rumble.
Other items off top of my head, and this list could go on and on, is maybe replace the 2nd cat and centre section too as it'll give you a tiny bit more power/rumble but without a remap being needed. Also perhaps a new panel filter, you'll get the suck noise (and again a couple of extra bhp).
Another vote for Scoobyworld. Not too intrusive, nice roar witht he foot down.

Would disagree on the remap though, if you remove the cats you should map the car. Remember without a map the car never actually takes advantage of the mods, it just assumes eveything is as it should be and runs the same as it always did.

I had mine mapped by AndyF, put a back box and took out the centre cat and upgraded the intercooler hoses. Total cost about a grand but power went up to 273bhp and similar torque so better than the equivalent STI. Well worth doign properly.

Have a chat with Andy/drop him a mail he'll be able to steer you right.

And welcome to Scooby ownership!

5t.
Old 26 January 2009, 12:12 PM
C_WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Another vote for Scoobyworld. Not too intrusive, nice roar witht he foot down.

Would disagree on the remap though, if you remove the cats you should map the car. Remember without a map the car never actually takes advantage of the mods, it just assumes eveything is as it should be and runs the same as it always did.

I had mine mapped by AndyF, put a back box and took out the centre cat and upgraded the intercooler hoses. Total cost about a grand but power went up to 273bhp and similar torque so better than the equivalent STI. Well worth doign properly.

Have a chat with Andy/drop him a mail he'll be able to steer you right.

And welcome to Scooby ownership!

5t.

I may be corrected in future posts, but I was told only if it was the downpipe or up-pipe cat that was removed on the WRX (not cat in STi up-pipe) that you NEEDED the remap, a remap can although be done at any time from standard for better figures but makes sense making it worthwhile with upgrades fitted .
It depends on what you want to do but as you get used to the car and get more in to upgrading you'll likely end up wanting a remap !

Last edited by C_WRX; 26 January 2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 26 January 2009, 12:39 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C_WRX
I may be corrected in future posts, but I was told only if it was the downpipe or up-pipe cat that was removed on the WRX (not cat in STi up-pipe) that you NEEDED the remap, a remap can although be done at any time from standard for better figures but makes sense making it worthwhile with upgrades fitted .
It depends on what you want to do but as you get used to the car and get more in to upgrading you'll likely end up wanting a remap !
Basically you can get away with it but you are running a risk. The cat gives back pressure to the turbo preventing boost spikes and over boosting. With nothing to slow the turbo down it can spin to destruction.

It is rare but for the few hundred quid remap do you want to be the one with the few grand engine rebuild? Also stright through with no map will give the car very rich running. You can even see a performance loss with some cars with no cats.

Supra's are a good example, if you de-cat you need to put restrictor rings in the exhaust to provide back pressure, may as well leave the cat in!

I left the up/down cat in mine, it passes the MOT and runs about 50bhp more than usual with no more fuel used so well worth it i think.

5t.
Old 26 January 2009, 01:29 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Nice choice of car... you're gonna want to stick 18" alloys on it and drop it using either Prodrive/Eibach Springs or for a slightly lower look some Tein S-Tech Springs. The 17" Wheels look a bit lost on the lardy newage scoobs IMO.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 26 January 2009, 06:01 PM
garry9777
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys,
18s with Teins i think i will go for after having a good look around, Ordered a Ninja backbox just a few mins ago probably not the quietest but i thought well why not just be heard . Just need to make my mind up on the wheels which will take me days as i am fussy as.

C WRX nice motor by the way looks good.

Trending Topics

Old 30 January 2009, 08:05 PM
rtm4676
Scooby Regular

Brakes, suspension, tyres and worry about the power later. I run Ohlin coilovers, custom made chassis bars more strut braces than you can shake a stick at and set of sticky tyres.
Old 02 February 2009, 10:49 PM
webster444
Scooby Regular

u should get on aberdeenscoobies.co.uk aswell since ur fae aberdeen!
Old 09 February 2009, 10:45 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

can anyone tell me a sure fire way to tell turbo from wrx? 1995 it does a 1 digit code but starts with jf thats japan aint it and indictor on wrong side? my last uk turbo was on right side? thanks in advance grant
Old 09 February 2009, 11:50 PM
bazvolta
Scooby Regular

I'm running about 280bhp in my WRX after having the exhaust de-cat'd and fitting a straight through 3" system with an Andy F remap. Get some 18's on there and drop it with a good set of coilovers. I've got BC coilovers and they are fully adjustable with adjustable dampening as well. Like someone previously said it is expensively addictive. The best thing to do is go with what you like and enjoy.