Notices

Watch out - Lothian and Borders police have nothing better to do!

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2008, 06:10 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Watch out - Lothian and Borders police have nothing better to do!

As above really...I was in livingston doing a bit of shopping on sunday, and was leaving the multi-story carpark when I noticed a volvo traffic car to my right waiting at lights. Got the usual horrible feeling of being stared at for driving satans motor, but apart from that I knew(or so I thought) I wasnt doing anything wrong. Went round to halfords and that was the last I saw of them until I had parked and was getting out of the car, by which point they were entering carpark from the top road. They pulled up beside me and stared for another wee while whilst I made a dick of myself by cheerily saying "hi!", thinking they may have just stopped for a random check on insurance, tax etc, and a chat...but no, they had been following me for some time due to my car having front numberplate lettering that was a bit too small!

So I spent the next 15-20 mins in their car being lectured by a fat policeman, while his fat mate used high tech devices(a ruler) to check my plate, confirming that it was infact too small(no fancy writing etc, still clear, but below the legal limit for size)!

After the important lecture I was charged and told I would go to court for this serious offense if I didnt change the plate to a normal one and get a stamp on the ticket from an MOT station which I then had to send away. This caused hastle but I've already done it!

So to sum up, I was held in a police car for 20 mins, charged with potential to go to court, and all in front of countless shoppers that no doubt found it hilarious thinking I was an idiot boy racer caught out without insurance etc.

Anyway, sorry for the long post guys but I thought I would share this story in full with you all to see what you thought. I just didnt see the point in it at all...I mean, what harm can I possibly do anyone by having number plate lettering that is a little bit smaller but that you can still easily read?? And how many uninsured motorists could the police have passed and stopped in the time they spent dealing with me?? these are people that can cost you thousands of pounds if they run into you!!!

Its a clear black and white law though so I accept I was in the wrong...but how petty can you get!

Alan
Old 04 March 2008, 06:18 PM
Alan-G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nae luck Alan.

Whit were you doin shoppin in Livi when yer avatar says yer from S. lanarks ?

Was South at one point (Hamilton)

Noo happily a lot further north.

Again, nae luck - but the rozzers could put it down to registration recognition cameras unable to register your reggie.

Alan.
Old 04 March 2008, 07:22 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan-G
Nae luck Alan.

Whit were you doin shoppin in Livi when yer avatar says yer from S. lanarks ?

Was South at one point (Hamilton)

Noo happily a lot further north.

Again, nae luck - but the rozzers could put it down to registration recognition cameras unable to register your reggie.

Alan.
Well i'm just a wee bit south of Lanark, so pretty much equal distance from edinburgh, hamilton or livi...A just take my pick and unfortunatly I chose livi!

Aye thats exactly what I was thinking, but again, its not really doing anyone a huge amount of harm...except maybe meaning they cant catch me out if I'm speeding due to camera not picking up details. however I certainly dont think they need more cash, especially when you get taxed on everything in Britain, even when you die strangely enough. But thats a rant for another day and another thread!

Alan
Old 04 March 2008, 08:45 PM
Alan-G
Scooby Regular

Wrong time - wrong place mate.

Just one of those things unfortunately.

Hope it all works out well for you.
Old 04 March 2008, 08:54 PM
Kit B
Scooby Regular

Wrong time, wrong place and unfortunately the wrong cops....
Old 04 March 2008, 09:00 PM
paulcwrx
Scooby Regular

Same story down ayrshire just now.
Old 04 March 2008, 10:47 PM
emac1ennan
Scooby Regular

Feel for ya mate. Went to glasgow to see my folks and wee brother the other day. Little brother stays in glasgow but rest of us dont. Driving around glasgow to find somewhere to park, accidentally go up a road which 1 side going up is bus's only and coming down all traffic. 2 of them standing there pulling people over and say that they are sick of people taking the pee out of their roads (their roads??????....) dad tried to explain that he didnt know where he was going, didnt see any sign and was just generally taken a wrong turn. No! Heres your ticket pay £30 dont do it again.

They need to get a life big time!

Trending Topics

Old 05 March 2008, 08:06 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

this has been going on for ages now its nothing new, why people still insist on driving around with modified plates etc is beyond me
Old 05 March 2008, 05:00 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Á¢ïÐ
this has been going on for ages now its nothing new, why people still insist on driving around with modified plates etc is beyond me
I don't see the fascination either.

If you didn't already have a big red arrow pointing at your car everywhere you drive. The plates make that arrow flash and have alarms. Not worth the extra hastle.

(Unless of course you bought the motor with them on and didn't realise they were smaller).
Old 05 March 2008, 05:31 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

It is just your luck. i was stopped for German style plate (emmbossed and non reflective) when he asked what was wrong with my plate i just pleaded ignorance and said i didn't know. He told me my plate was illegal and i said i was not aware of that and i would never have fitted it knowing it was illegal. he said fair enough get them changed and let me go on my way.
Old 05 March 2008, 05:43 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by emac1ennan
Feel for ya mate. Went to glasgow to see my folks and wee brother the other day. Little brother stays in glasgow but rest of us dont. Driving around glasgow to find somewhere to park, accidentally go up a road which 1 side going up is bus's only and coming down all traffic. 2 of them standing there pulling people over and say that they are sick of people taking the pee out of their roads (their roads??????....) dad tried to explain that he didnt know where he was going, didnt see any sign and was just generally taken a wrong turn. No! Heres your ticket pay £30 dont do it again.

They need to get a life big time!
Sounds like another money making scam to me! I didnt get fined, just charged etc as mentioned in first post...so I was lucky. But the point is, the police are here to protect, its as simple as that. They are never there when you need them(and not helpful when they are) but are always lingering about to hand out petty fines!

My parents have also been stopped for a five letter private reg. Car was a standard VW golf tdi. Full sized normal number plate lettering, but with the plate cut down to the edge of the lettering so it looks neater.

Alan
Old 05 March 2008, 05:46 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
I don't see the fascination either.

If you didn't already have a big red arrow pointing at your car everywhere you drive. The plates make that arrow flash and have alarms. Not worth the extra hastle.

(Unless of course you bought the motor with them on and didn't realise they were smaller).
No fascination, but bought the car with the front plate the way it was(back has always been a standard plate). A guy I know owned the car before me for a year and a half with no trouble as it had the plate on it when he bought it...so god knows how long it was on the car before then. Also, previous owner travelled down to the lake district every week to work so really it was just a bit of bad luck.
Old 11 March 2008, 11:22 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You didn't say what size your plate is.
Tell them your car is an import and falls under regulation 14a.
I had my plate made up to the specific size complying with regulation 14a. I've had the plate on for about four years now, and have been stopped quite a few times for having an illegally small plate. I keep a copy of the regulations in the glove compartment and they usually go away red faced.

I'll PM you a copy of the regulations
Old 11 March 2008, 09:07 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
You didn't say what size your plate is.
Tell them your car is an import and falls under regulation 14a.
I had my plate made up to the specific size complying with regulation 14a. I've had the plate on for about four years now, and have been stopped quite a few times for having an illegally small plate. I keep a copy of the regulations in the glove compartment and they usually go away red faced.

I'll PM you a copy of the regulations
Cheers. Pretty sure "Traffic" police will know its a UK car as soon as they run the reg through the sytem?? Thanks for advice anyway, its something to think about...but I just went out as soon as possible and got a legal front plate, then sent the stamped paperwork away, so the charges will be dropped and i'm totally legal(I hope this time).

Hate this kind of thing though because I work very hard, under alot of stress in the ****e cold weather 5-6 days a week to have the things I have in life...and the rest of the time I believe I should be left in peace to enjoy them, not to be hastled by a bunch of fannies that cant be arsed putting effort in to catch "real" criminals.

Alan
Old 12 March 2008, 09:03 AM
Kit B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
Cheers. Pretty sure "Traffic" police will know its a UK car as soon as they run the reg through the sytem?? Thanks for advice anyway, its something to think about...but I just went out as soon as possible and got a legal front plate, then sent the stamped paperwork away, so the charges will be dropped and i'm totally legal(I hope this time).

Hate this kind of thing though because I work very hard, under alot of stress in the ****e cold weather 5-6 days a week to have the things I have in life...and the rest of the time I believe I should be left in peace to enjoy them, not to be hastled by a bunch of fannies that cant be arsed putting effort in to catch "real" criminals.

Alan
And these " Fannies " don't work 5-6 days a week, Sometimes picking up body parts etc , standing by a house or Accident in the cold weather at 3am...

C'mon mate. Don't tar them all with the same brush..
There are hard working cops out there doing the job they joined for.. I know there are a lot of " **** " traffic guys and normal street cops..
But hey ho.. You got caught with and Illegal plate..
Old 12 March 2008, 10:35 AM
92typeRA
Scooby Regular

ive got nothing say but good things for the 2 traffic cops that have pull in the last few years (must have got them on a good morning )

like kit says there not all ****..but there are some that i feel just pic on silly little things just to **** that guy in the performance car off..

but then again iff ya plate is silly wee fare play to the cops..speed cams/etc.
iff its off by a bawhair then a nice wee word in peolpes ear will do
(did you know ya plat is illegel sir? i advise you to change it on you could get a fine the next time,)

Last edited by 92typeRA; 12 March 2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12 March 2008, 07:43 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kit B
And these " Fannies " don't work 5-6 days a week, Sometimes picking up body parts etc , standing by a house or Accident in the cold weather at 3am...

C'mon mate. Don't tar them all with the same brush..
There are hard working cops out there doing the job they joined for.. I know there are a lot of " **** " traffic guys and normal street cops..
But hey ho.. You got caught with and Illegal plate..
no no, wasnt referring to anyone other than the cops I mentioned earlier. Know several policeman, and get on with them very well...also have sympathy for traffics as dealing with serious/fatal accidents must be very hard indeed!

But anyway, thats the last i'll post on this thread...theres nothing more to it, and its not as if i'm still angry about it.

Cheers, Alan