Notices

what is it with scottish car dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2006, 11:39 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down what is it with scottish car dealers?

I have a UK MY00 , my dad has a MY05 UK STI and my uncle has a MY04 WRX(last 2 from eden). we all paid more for our UK cars than a euro import and the UK dealers just keep expecting us to pay this bloody premium.

when my dads was 10months old with 3000miles we went into eden and looked at the new model , I have driven one and like them. we had a quick chat between us and decided that his MY05 would be worth about £18000 and since he had paid the UK dealer premium already , which should be enough imo to buy you into the system , we would offer £5000 to get a new one. this is because litchfield offer new euro sti's for £23000.

we made the offer and got told they would let us know. now about 8weeks later we still have not had a call to even say this was not possible, clearly its not or I bet they would have called.

this morning I was talking with john banks. it looks like he will be going for an evo. I had suggested he trys a JDM scoob just to compare to the evo as the UK subaru's steering is not quite as sharp and the JDM engine with it's twin scroll might be closer to the evo. I told him dicksons of dunblane had a few newage cars listed on their site and that I would be interested in his thoughts as I doubt we will be buying another UK scoob.

he has called them to be told they don't give test drives just sell the cars. how can anyone expect you to part with that sort of cash without at least trying one? the cars have been on the site since christmas iirc , no wonder.

this must be why my uncles looking at the mazda now.

does anyone know of any decent importers in scotland like litchfield with fresh/new cars and no daft buy now try later policies?

Last edited by T-uk; 01 April 2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01 April 2006, 11:59 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Might be different if he went down in person though.. I understand thats a bit of a gamble, trekking all the way down there with the possibility that you'll be told to buy now try later.

But I guess they get an awful lot of calls about their cars asking about test drive availability, so it might have been a standard line they give out over the phone.

Your experience at Eden surprises me though, I've not heard a bad word said about the guys up there until now..

IMO, a Scoob will depreciate badly from new.. thats a fact that I would be expecting, but I wouldnt expect the Dealer to make up for that by offering a new Scoob at drastically reduced prices come trade-in time.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 01 April 2006, 03:50 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

it was more all subaru uk dealers. our only disappointment with eden is not getting back to us on our offer which I think was fair given the car was brand new from them.

surely a customer only needs to pay the uk premium once to get on the ladder? , if not why buy a uk car as the euro imports are exactly the same with 3year warranty and ££££ cheaper. I will gladly support my local dealer if I feel they are looking after us but will not be paying the premium again if they dont.
Old 01 April 2006, 04:23 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

I bought a 05 jdm sti from Dicksons of Dunblane .They still have a 06 sti for sale and 03 .The 03 picture is the car i am driving because the jap owner's manual has the 555 reg in it .I just looked round it under the bonnet body pannels ,started it up .I got a cat 1 alarm in the deal and had to get a traker for insurance .You only get 6 months warranty .I had a bit of problems with a noisey solenoid it was down to the alarm installer .He removed one of the three bolts that hold the solenoid on and it was touching the body work i took it back and the mechanic said it was a carastic of the car .It was not the solenoid was touching the body work .I noticed it when i was noising under the bonnet and sorted .There after care is not very good.I am running mine on optimax and millers octane booster every tank because they are not remaped like litchfields cars they sell .Need to see Awd some time for when Andy f come up and mapes other coustomers cars.I bought the car there because it was near to home than buying from litchfields .I would not buy another car from Dicksons of Dunblane with the messing about they caused me and fobing me of aswell and can't put the right details on the dval form for the car .I had to do that .I had a uk classic my2000 uk turbo decat turbo back ,panel filter ,tek3 remap by Andy Forrest .The JDM 05 STI is a hell of a lot more powerfull than that and the acelartion is great it pulls hard in sixth .I keep looking for another gear

Last edited by DIPSY; 03 April 2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01 April 2006, 07:45 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Dickson's don't care if you walk in and look interested in what they are offering, at ridiculously over priced machines.

Was in today lookin at their Evo7's and they hardly turned their heads when i strolled around for 10 minutes. Would have asked for a test drive, but i didn't want to tear them away from the footy on the box.
Old 01 April 2006, 08:06 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

I did not think the jdm sti 05 05plate was over priced it only had 4k miles on the clock.I had a look on litchfields site and Hendrys and few otheres down in England and Brian downie up north.Not ever garage gives you a large warranty.

Last edited by DIPSY; 01 April 2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01 April 2006, 10:06 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

True about the warranty mate. May i ask how much you paid for it? I don't think the scoob's are TOO badly priced at Dicksons, but they are still defo overpriced IMHO.
Old 02 April 2006, 09:58 AM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

DRB5 I have sent you a pm mate
Old 02 April 2006, 10:25 AM
p1ggm
Scooby Regular

agreed about dicksons sales staff, on 2 different occasions i have been there to seriously buy cars, and allan the salesman talkes his way out of it, with his smarmy "i'm better then you, you cant afford this car" attitude
Old 02 April 2006, 11:24 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Replied Dipsy.
Old 02 April 2006, 03:11 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I've always dealt with t&c in aberdeen and found them to be top notch service. In fact I have even been invited for a test drive of a couple of new models, while I was still getting my car regularly serviced with them.

Bit out of the way though I'll grant you from down south there

Dave
Old 02 April 2006, 03:36 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

You still got the RB, mate?
Old 02 April 2006, 04:11 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

P1GGM Gordon that Allan at Dicksons of Dunblane has not got a clue about the car's he is selling your right hes a smarmy git .Thanks for your pm DRD5 Dave .Kevin
Old 02 April 2006, 04:15 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5

You still got the RB, mate?
Nearly sold it a few months ago, but aye. Still going strong
Old 02 April 2006, 04:44 PM
p1ggm
Scooby Regular

Kevin my inbox was full, didnt get your pm

first time i was in at dicksons i had the cash sitting in my pocket, deal on a car i was buying fell thru, and he talked his way out of a good deal within 5 mins
Old 02 April 2006, 05:11 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
.... and some!!
Old 02 April 2006, 05:56 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
Cool! What state of tune is it in now then??
Old 02 April 2006, 06:12 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

just to add that the 18k that we though my dads car was worth , was what we thought we could sell it for at the time privately , eden did not actually say what they thought it was worth as we just gave them a bid to change.

I don't think my dads bid was bad considering I know what he had paid 10months earlier.

sounds like if my MY00 sells , I won't be wasting my time going to dicksons either.
Old 02 April 2006, 06:15 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
Cool! What state of tune is it in now then??
click

Not had much done since the gems got fitted a couple of years back really, but i seem to have come down with the modding bug again hence the front mount rattling aroung in the boot and a bag full of handling parts

Sorry for the hi-jack!

Are you getting rid of your car then john? returning it to standard or selling as is?
Old 02 April 2006, 07:32 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Sounds good Dave. I can't help but get bored so easily now. Just can't decide what i want.

Group buy on Evo's John?!
Old 02 April 2006, 08:11 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

someone's interested ,I just need a gearbox to let them try it . they are not sure of all the mods they want with it but hopefully they will take all engine mods as that saves any map changes being needed.

I dont mind getting left with AP 6pots and KW coilovers. I also have a new PFC here , so a type-r could be tempting but I really fancy a new age. the MY05 is cracking and the only fault I have is the 5th gear step. the MY06 seats are a bit ****e and the steering a bit light/slow but apart from that it is stunning and easily done to around 400bhp.

the evo is the hooligans choice but I still prefer the feel of the scoob on back roads. I find the evo gets to the rev limiter just a bit too quick when really going for it as they pull so well at the top but are a bit short on revs imo. I found with the evo , one eye had to be kept on the rev counter where the scoob died long before the rev limiter and could be felt going off but gave you the choice to hold the gear out the bend , if that makes sense.

I am not sure if I would prefer a MY06 UK STI with a 20g , with nice ratios and 2.5 , or a JDM with 20g , similar power but with shorter ratios and taller rev limit and sharper steering.

had a run in a civic type-r yesterday and that felt a good fun car , without the brain out speeds the modded rally reps do.

probably end up with a diesel or keeping the auld car lol
Old 02 April 2006, 10:10 PM
dougies549
Scooby Regular

Hi Tuk

If you get a My06 just dont go daft with it like the My00, i remember what you were like with it at the start.

Have you tried S+S in Ayr , just ask for John and say i told you to get in touch with him?

Also been told that the Type R is a very light car and a bit Hairy in the wet!!!!

Got to agreew on the the 2 cars you are speaking about. The 05 with PPP just feel really strong and the steering feels nice and tight, but once the My 06 gets the second part of the PPP and takes it to 370bhp that car will be a beast to drive and really nice round town.

Cheers Dougie

Last edited by dougies549; 02 April 2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03 April 2006, 11:11 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Type-R's are real fun in the dry. Felt just as planted as my Scoob over my local back roads. It's got some OE Bridgestone's fitted, so that might explain it's poor wet weather performance.

I still fancy an Evo though ... still part hooligan I'm afraid
Old 03 April 2006, 03:08 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Dicksons look expensive for Evo's that I've looked at. They're selling a Y-plate 7 for more than an '05-plate FQ-300 8
Old 03 April 2006, 05:07 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

I know Ozzy. It was more because they had one or two there, that i popped in. 7's seem to be a bit thin on the ground, compared to 8's.
Old 03 April 2006, 05:39 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I think 370 BHP on the stock turbo is unlikely on the STi.

Iain Litchfield quoted me this on the seats: "The reason the seats are less supportive is because the UK spec cars have side airbags and therefore get the US style wide seats. However we can order them without and have the normal MY05 style seats."
Old 03 April 2006, 06:45 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i only frequent 2 subaru dealers-fiskens in forfar-spot on servicing good for test drives honest and pleasant
stan palmers in carlisle-ask for ian armstrong spot on salesmam good driver normally has wide range of cars available for test drives-including non subarus such as lotus elise/ gt3 etc can usually get a cracking deal for you and will drop car off for you for little cost
if i was to get a jdm ian litchfield is the only person i would trust quality product at good price,i have been down a few times and barely resisted urge to buy again has a wide range of cars uk/jdm including normal jdm spec c spec c ra t20 etc
martin
ps to be honest for a good dealer you trust it is worth the travel
Old 03 April 2006, 07:20 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

john i will be hopefully getting my twin scroll jdm car mapped in a week or two but i have chosen a hybrid twin scroll so when its done i could give you my opinion of it as compared to a 400bhp ish 20g car !!!
Old 04 April 2006, 05:35 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

well I bought my 06WRX from Ian Grieve in Falkirk and can't fault them. Still waiting on a set of PFF7's but given I'm running it in and need to go back for the 1000 mile service .... they can wait for now.
Old 05 April 2006, 09:53 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Did you trade your car in at Ian Grieve? Mr Anderson (of former Fraser Anderson) was helping them setup the franchise the last time I was there. He sold me my RB5 back in 1999.

Quick Reply: what is it with scottish car dealers?