Notices

Watch a tarmac rally and get a free lunch!

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2001, 09:16 PM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Yes it's true!!

This Sunday (21st October), Aberdeen and District Motor Club (ADMC) are holding a tarmac rally at Edzell airfield near Dundee.

This event is not open to spectators this year, as it is the first time it has been run, therefore only marshalls will be permitted on site. However, it is likely that you'll be marshalling from inside the comfort of your own car, parked at a safe distance away from the action, on the grass or on the airfield itself, and the only work you would need to do is if a car hits some tyres or straw bales, you run out and put them back for the next car running a few minutes later.

In return for your strenuous marshalling duties, you will be rewarded with a free hot lunch and drinks.

What's the catch - well as this is a closed event, you'll need to be there at 7am when the gates are first opened, as once the event starts, no-one else will be permitted to enter the airfield.

You don't need to tell anyone in advance that you are attending, but it would help the clerk of the course (Ashley Reid) if you let me know in advance that you'll be going. Of course you can take a few friends in the one car, and you can all help to watch the action (sorry that should read marshall ) from the comfort of one or more cars.

I won't be there (SIDC AGM), but it does sound like a very good day out.

Apparently (though you didn't hear this from me!), they "may" turn a blind eye to those wishing to have a bit of fun in their own cars on the airfield after the event is finished. This is not guaranteed though, as it all depends on the timing of the event etc.