Notices

Somewhere to Supply and Fit EBC disks and pads ?

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2001, 01:22 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All,

Seems to be the general consensus that EBC pads and disks are the way to go for a decent, but affordable, brake upgrade.

Can anyone recommend someone that I entrust my baby to so that they can fit a set of EBC disks and pads, in the Edinburgh (or nearby) area ?

Oh, and I need to do it soon, as the Nobles track day at Knockhill is on in just under two weeks

Thanks,

Andrew.
Old 02 May 2001, 07:12 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi Andrew

I have also been trying to get a hold of some pads for this trackday.....was told by someone to try Euro Car Parts (havnet tried yet so dont know the number) can supply EBC. Phoned Falkland and they can supply a set of Mintex 1155...anyone had any experience of these?

Good luck in the search....if you find somewhere that will do either ebc redstuff or ferrodo ds2000's then give me a shout, thanx

Ian
Old 02 May 2001, 08:15 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi Ian,

Good to hear from you, thought you might have gotten lost

I was going to get the black diamond disks and mintex 1144 pads from falkland, but I have heard that they have a fair amount of brake squeal, and that they are very dusty.

The EBC reds on the other hand are supposed to be quiet and have minimal dust.

I might give em a call tomorrow and see if they'll do EBC, and if not if they can fit them if we supply them.

Also, DTM motorsport on Gorgie road have a 15% off everything sale at the moment. They have EBC Greenstuff stickers in the window (I drive past 'em every day). I'll give them a call and see if they have the EBC pads in stock. Only problem is I really want someone to put them in for me, as I want to make sure its done right.

Were you planning on upgrading your disks as well, or just the pads ?

See you soon,

Andrew.
Old 02 May 2001, 10:23 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi Andrew

I was only gonna change the pads hopefully for EBC redstuff (for use just on track) but am finding it hard to find them round here. I went to Livingston autoparts earlier, they sell greenstuff, but dont stock redstuff. If you want i could go in and check availability of discs and pads for you.

Another consideration was to change to Ferrodo DS2000's which can be used on the road as well...again having trouble finding these locally. Anyone know??

Ian

Old 02 May 2001, 10:49 PM
Dave Brown
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi chaps

I use MMV in Stirling for my brake stuff, in fact, just replacing mine this week for Max Crail.They are supplying me with mintex 1155 for the front & 1144 for the rear at a very reasonable price.Thay can also supply the full range of EBC products & have fitting facilities.
You can get them on 01786 448800 (ask for Ian & tell him that Dave Brown put you in touch).

I am in no way associated with MMV, but have found them reasonable & reliable for sourcing performance parts.

Dave
Old 03 May 2001, 02:37 PM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

Cool

Why don't you all just order them from here online. I have, and they are being shipped today.

---john---
Old 03 May 2001, 02:52 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Unfortunately, scoobyshop doesn't carry brake discs, and they also can't fit them ...

Andrew.

Trending Topics

Old 03 May 2001, 03:46 PM
James Adlington
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Andrew/Ian - I would go for the Mintex 1155s rather than EBC reds (I've used both). Yes, the Mintex squeal (more so if you don't bed them in properly) and are dusty, BUT more importantly they last better than the EBCs on the track AND work better off the track when cold. I managed to destroy a set of redstuff in half a day at Knockhill, whereas the 1155s will still have plenty left for the drive home.
Falkland seem good for service & price.
Old 09 May 2001, 08:04 PM
drive87
Scooby Regular

Talking

Fitted "Green Stuff" pads along with Tarox drilled and grooved discs (my99 RB5),they heat up quickly ,havent burnt them out yet and they are very clean! Excellent!
Had bad experience with Mintex/Tarox in the past.
Pads supplied from outlet in livingston,fitted myself.
Old 15 May 2001, 09:36 PM
John Gorman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hey all, Just read this note and I just want to add that not only do I use EBC brakes on my 94WRX. And do track days with them and have never lost my brakes, But I can also supply any and all EBC products.
Cheers.

JOHN

[This message has been edited by John Gorman (edited 15 May 2001).]
Old 15 May 2001, 11:40 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

John Gorman
just out of interest what discs do you recommend for Yellow stuff pads as I too killed a set of Reds at K/hill(30-40laps)

john
Old 16 May 2001, 08:52 AM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

Red face

I fitted a set of Reds last Wednesday, did Nobles track day on Monday and they are now gubbed, about 2mm of material left, won't be buying them again me thinks.

---john---
Old 16 May 2001, 07:50 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Smile

Had the greenstuff pads and Black Diamond cross drilled discs fitted at Falkland Performance Centre today.

First of all a big thumbs up for Kevin at Falkland, who is an all round great guy, and managed to fit me in with one days notice after I completely shagged my tyres at Knockhill on Monday.

The new pads / discs seem to work quite well, although I have not done any major braking as they are not completely bedded in yet.

Will let you know how they go after a coupla hundred miles.

Andrew.
Old 16 May 2001, 10:32 PM
John Gorman
Scooby Regular

Dear all, Ive had red stuff pads in my car for about a year. They have a bit of life in them yet. Ive done track days and all. If you fitted a set on Wednesday and then done a track day at the weekend then its not a surprise that they are gubbed. The EBC pads require a lot of bedding in. I spoke directly to technical at EBC and found out that because the pads are Kevlar, they need about 500 easy miles to put a good Kevlar coating onto the disc. The pads then become effective because they are running Kevlar to Kevlar. A roasting within this period will render them U.S. As for the greenstuff, EBC no longer recommend these for the Impreza, If track driving is reqd. As under heavy driving they just don't last. Reds are a minimum requirement moving to Yellows if necessary. PROPER BEDDING IN MAKES THE WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.

CHEERS
JOHN.

[This message has been edited by John Gorman (edited 16 May 2001).]
Old 17 May 2001, 03:05 PM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi John, thanks for the advice. I did manage to put a few miles on them before Monday, not nearly 500 though. And I have to say I gave them a proper roasting at Knockhill.
Old 17 May 2001, 07:03 PM
John Gorman
Scooby Regular

T-uk, I use EBC GPn non grooved discs on my car. These work fine for me. The EBC turbo groove discs are grooved and spotted(not drilled all the way through) These seem to work very well with hard driving. The slight downfall with the grooved discs is that they slightly decrease the life of the pads. Now also available is a drilled only disc.
Any other questions please get back to me. I have lists of operating temperatures etc. For all the EBC formula pads.
P.S I`ve done about about 70or 80 laps at Knockhill on my pads and the only reason that they are needing changed now os that a slider was sticking and has worn one pad at an angle.

P.P.S. anyone changing To EBC pads ar just renewing pads should clean the discs well with wire wool to remove old kevlar residue. So that fresh bedding in is attained.

CHEERS

JOHN

[This message has been edited by John Gorman (edited 17 May 2001).]
Old 17 May 2001, 07:39 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Smile

John,

Stupid question time ...

I've got the greens with black diamond drilled dicsc. Seem OK, but then I've only done 40 miles on them

Now, if I wanted to use reds on the track, how in the hell do I get 500 miles to bed them in, as I've heard that they are dangerous to use on the road.

Is there a way to bed them in quickly on the track, so that I can make them last, but don't end up off the track ?

Or should I just stick with the greens for track ?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew.
Old 17 May 2001, 08:38 PM
John Gorman
Scooby Regular

Andrew, I use reds on the road and have absolutely no problems with them. I dont know about switching between greens and reds without bedding in. Ill try and find out some more info for you. I deffinately dont find reds to be dangerous to use on the road. They arent absolutely stunning whilst bedding in, but after that I cant fault them. When stone cold, a little more pressure is required on the brake pedal but they`re soon fine.
P.S. The supplier that I use for the EBC stuff recomends going straight to reds for the Scooby`s even for the road. ( unless you drive like way too slowly to have a Scooby in the first place )

CHEERS

JOHN

[This message has been edited by John Gorman (edited 17 May 2001).]
Old 20 May 2001, 06:29 PM
Scoobydude
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

I was in at Star Performance a couple of weeks ago and I had EBC Red pads fitted which is a 100% improvement on what I had. I was given Star's name from a friend who has a 225 TT which was recently kitted out by Star Performance with EBC.