Notices

Question for Aberdeen/N.E. Scotland folks

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2005, 09:27 AM
natkin
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Aberdeen/N.E. Scotland folks

Any of you had any dealings with Town and County ? Reason I ask is I may be going there soon to see about a 2nd hand Impreza.

Are they reasonable enough to deal with ? Easy to haggle with ? Give decent trade in prices ?

Apologies for all the questions !
Old 05 July 2005, 12:47 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll answer your questions in the order that you asked them.

NO

NO

NO

Hope this helps. Pm me if you need me to go along with you to show you what you should be looking for when buying an Impreza!

Russell
Old 05 July 2005, 12:56 PM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

Sorry Wuz, have to disagree with you on this one.

Bought my 2002 bugeye wrx last August/ September, got a good deal, along with money off the forcourt price i also got a free tracker.

As for a trade in they were offering me nearly the same as I could have sold it privately (it was a y reg leon). Didint end up trading it in only because I got a better deal with a cash deposit (as you would at any dealership).

Maybe I was a one off, but i was pleased with the service I got.

Iain
Old 05 July 2005, 05:05 PM
DPBEECHWOOD
Scooby Newbie

I bought my O5 STI 65 weeks ago from T & C Aberdeen. I dealt with a guy called Bob Macdonald. He seems a fair guy. Trade in prices are just the same as any where else. I bought mine straight and got £ 2,000 of list price + the free PPP ,STI mats, full tank of fuel etc.
drive a bargain, this is always a good time to be buying cars. T & C Imprezzas are about 10-15% higher than should be so you have a lot of haggling to do to get them down. Whatever they offer you ,there will be scope to improve it- remember that.
Any one you buy will have the security of it being a UK car and the warrenty.- its worth the little extra to have that knowledge. Jap spec cars are good but if you pay UK spec money for one you will never get it back when you come to sell it.
Good luck.....
Paul.
Old 05 July 2005, 05:31 PM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

Was your saleseman (bob) the odler Glasweigan (wrong spelling?) guy that works there? Seem to remember him having tatoo's on his arms.

Bearing in mind I was only 23 at the time.....

You just reminded me of a story about T&C. When I was first in looking at Subarus at t&c, I drove up in my 1.6 seat leon. I stood on the forecourt looking about for around 20mins/half an hour.

Since I hadnt been approached I decided to grab the only salesman (the dude in question) that was knocking around. I was interested in a particular 2002 impreza on the forecourt and asked the salesman a few questions about it....got a few quick answers then he walked away only to leave me standing on the fourcourt by myself again. He was not interested in what I had to say and seemed almost pre-occupied.

I couldnt beleive that after half an hour I wasnt aproached by one single salesman or even this guy that was dotting about (who I had to approach myself and wasnt interested).

I ended up leaving.

A week or so later, I was seriously on the car hunt as I had just sold my car and went back in, this time with my dad in his porsche. What a difference I had about three different salemen asking if i needed any help. I ended up dealing with a guy called Adam who was quite good (if not a little persistent).

The great thing is that when I went inside to the sales office to buy the WRX, the glasweigan sleman was there. I just smiled!
Old 06 July 2005, 12:04 AM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

HANG ON!

Iain, firstly you say that they are great to deal with and then you reply later with a story more in line with wha tI expect from T&C. Unless you are mature or flash a wad at them, they are not interested.

The reason you got a good trade in on the Leon is (A) The have a SEAT franchise and so could sell it on their SEAT forecourt, no trade in out! and (B) Leon were standing in at good money in the past 8 months due to good Auto Express long-term testers saying they were a great buy! I'd love to have seen the trade-in you would have got for a MY00 Impreza Turbo

You should have seen them when the "old man" went in with his 22B he bought back from Australia 3 years ago.like flies round S**T!

Russell
Old 06 July 2005, 09:35 AM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

I can see your point although, my first post was about my dealings when I bought the car (of which I dont really have any complaints) not my initial encounters. Having said that, yes I should have posted them the other way round, but i had forgotten about the carry on I had the first time I turned up on my own when I posted first.

As for the trade in T&C only gave me a value, i ended up selling my car privately as I did get more for it. I was aware that the trade in on a leon was going to be good but didnt think T&c would have offered as much as they did. Nothing to do with the fact they have a seat franchise just a case of that they hold their value well and it was in good nick.

I totally agree with you when it comes to the fact that T&C are uninterested unless you're minted or are over the age of 30 but I guess they do get a lot of neds down there dreaming.

With respect to the service I got once I got a salesman!, was that he was more than happy to help. Took maybe 3 or 4 scoobs out for a test drive and was given a good deal when I came to buy.

Sorry if im being argumentative, i hope i've explained my contradictive post.

Iain
Old 06 July 2005, 11:55 AM
natkin
Scooby Newbie

Hmmm reading between the lines, I think I may have to give T & C a bodyswerve !! I aint in my 50's (i'm 35 and certainly not a ned neither mind), a successful businessman and I certainly don't drive a Porsche ! All i've got is an MG ZR and a few thousand quid in cash to play with.

Thanks for the replies tho lads.
Old 06 July 2005, 11:57 AM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

Maybe worth a look in by anyway?
Old 06 July 2005, 12:10 PM
natkin
Scooby Newbie

Aye i'll still give it a go, if you don't ask you don't get. One way or another i'll get my hands on an Impreza, been promising myself one for years !!
Old 06 July 2005, 12:15 PM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

Do it!! You'll wont regret it!

Well apart from the fuel bills

Iain
Old 06 July 2005, 12:17 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Iain - it does have a lot to do with the fact they have a franchise as the can take the car in at decent money whereas if they have to punt it out to a trader alsewhere ( who may not necessarily want it) that trader will get up to 8-9% less than its book value so that means T&C have to give you 8-9% less as a trade in.

Not an issue with the post M8, a bit of good banter on here is needed somtimes just to ensure everyones voice gets heard (as it should do!)

Russell

Last edited by WUZ; 06 July 2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06 July 2005, 12:22 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Give Fiskens of Forfar a try, seem to be clued up and well respected aroud our way

Russell
Old 06 July 2005, 01:01 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by rossyboy; 06 July 2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08 July 2005, 12:40 PM
EddieC
Scooby Regular

Fiskens at Forfar get my vote, they are really helpful and service guys cannot seem to be able to do enough for you (and their prices are a LOT cheaper than T&C)
Old 08 July 2005, 03:51 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Hey Eddie, hows the P1 doing?

Russell
Old 12 July 2005, 11:18 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Never had any problems with T&C.

Had a UK Turbo, UK300 and STi from them.

The STi I traded in a Focus ST170 - They gave me £500 less that I paid for it 6 months previously.

When I got the STi I had been to Station Garage (EVO) and had the "Ignore" treatment from both Aberdeen and Torphins - So Subaru got my custom again !

Everyone has different experiences with different garages / individuals etc.

Try them out.
Old 12 July 2005, 12:27 PM
EddieC
Scooby Regular

Fit like Russell

shes going fine at the mo, due a service next month but thankfully its only an interim one but i will need to replace the brake pads so with the prodrive upgrade that could be pricy :-(
Old 12 July 2005, 01:44 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by EddieC
Fit like Russell

shes going fine at the mo, due a service next month but thankfully its only an interim one but i will need to replace the brake pads so with the prodrive upgrade that could be pricy :-(
Ediie - give Alyn at AS Performance a shout and tell him I sent you. He'll sort you out a set of pads that will fit the Alcon but not cost nearly as much.

Russell
Old 12 July 2005, 07:58 PM
EddieC
Scooby Regular

cheers Russell i'll do that
Old 07 August 2005, 05:55 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

T&C have always given me perfect service. Far above whatever could be reasonably expected.

When there was no courtesy car whilst mine was in for service the girl at the service desk gave me a lift in to town, and offered to pick me up when the car was done. The mechanics also noticed the water injection so never filled the water bottle with anti-freeze despite the fact that I had forgotten to tell them.

This was despite the fact I was 20, hadn't shaved for a couple of days and was hungover to the point I looked like death cooled down!
Old 07 August 2005, 11:42 AM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up t&c Aberdeen

Well Chaps

I have nothing but good to say about them when it comes to service etc. cant comment on sales, however you are always made to feel welcome any time you go in.

My98 blew the head gaskets and was taken in to T&C.

As they had serviced the car since i brought it to Aberdeen with 28k on the clock almost 2 years previous they were fantastic.

Kev had never heard of this and thay contacted Subaru direct to tell them about this issue. Subaru in turn took into consideration its low milage and service record. THey too were surprised and in turn paid some of the costs.

The car was not under any warranty and was not bought from a Subaru dealer and indeed had not had a full subaru service history.

Town and county had lots communication with Subaru UK and at the end of the day (3 days!) Subaru UK coughed up 2/3rds of the price to repair.

Would any other garage have given a **** about this?

Would any other garage even bothered to contact the Manufacturer?

Would any other garage fought for you towards costs?

I think the answer to all of the above would be NO

So on that note T&C get my vote everytime

Craig
Old 14 August 2005, 12:51 PM
~~ Cal ~~
Scooby Regular

I too have had GREAT service from T&C and have been surprised by how much they go out of their way to help you.......

They know that anyone young scruffy looking folk walking round their forecourt could be fishermen etc / etc on high salaries so will not treat you like a nugget if they suspect that you are genuinely interested. You have to remember that they get a high volumes of droolers just wanting a test drive who have absolutely no intentions of buying a Scoob.

Yes they have high prices on their forecourt and you will get shafted if you don't do your homework. If you dont research then you deserve to pay over the odds. Visit www.parkers.co.uk before you buy and print off the recommended prices and you'll be able to thrash out a good deal

CGS
Old 14 August 2005, 03:42 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

fiskens every time,people dont drive from aberdeen to forfar for servicing for nothing!
martin