Notices

Car Breakers

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2004, 01:31 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Breakers

Do car breakers (West Lothian area) charge to uplift a car from your house ??

Colin
Old 26 August 2004, 02:54 PM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

The **** has fallen out the steel market recently(I know this from buying material for work), so the scrap market is sure to have followed suit, depending on what the car is and what they think they can strip to sell off it they 'may' pay you to take it! Id ring a couple and see what they say, failing that doesnt the council run a scrap car uplifting service....dont know if its free tho?
Old 26 August 2004, 03:29 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends if you want anything for the car.

We had one lifted (Motherwell) for no cost, but we got sod all in scrap value.

Stefan
Old 26 August 2004, 03:39 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Sift the motor market weekly, or the yellow paper - theres people on there who take it for nothing.
Old 26 August 2004, 05:10 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Yellow Paper! never thought of that

Not wanting much if anything for it, heard some charge to uplift now..bugger that.
I could take the alternator belt off and drive it to them, alternator seized, its been SORN'd so dont want to risk it, probably breakdown on route, plod would appear ....t1ts up .
cheers Col
Old 27 August 2004, 04:34 PM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

It's not so much the scrap value dropping as the fact that breakers now have to de-pollute the cars they pickup (empty all fluids and dispose of appropriately). This costs them money, so they end up making a loss by sending a driver out to get old cars (unless the car is reasonably new and has some parts worth money on it).
If you find a non-licenced breaker however, they might still do it, as they won't have invested the £000's on the depolution equipment, and will just drain the fluids into our drinking water instead !!
You can't win !!
The government needs to pull it's finger out it's @r5e really, and sort out legislation to stop the cowboys, and subsidize the guys who are investing heavily in envirnomental programs. Otherwise we're going to see an awful lot more burnt out wreck's by the side of the road in the coming months!!

Ok, soap box mode off !!!

Dave
Old 28 August 2004, 04:07 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

The legislation is already there the councils are not all pushing it forward though the downside of all this is that you will not get to go in and strip the bits of yourself.

I already see a big change in the yards round here ok they are more enviromentally friendly but it takes all the fun out of a trip to the scrappy they are not allowed to pile the cars up etc so they can't keep the stock as long as they would have before.

I run old cars always have always will but it has come to the point where i will just buy a whole car for spares and strip it myself rather than run around all the empty yards so ultimately they will go out of bussiness

WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE ALL THE SCRAP?
Old 28 August 2004, 08:37 PM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

Red face car fight club

not that i would know, BUT i have heard of a group who buy nearly dead cars and play demoliton derby at a quarry near edinburgh!!! top fun!!!
then the quarry just crush the remains with a big shovel loader and dump them in a pile,

not that i would know of course....................great fun though, just remember to remove the number plates and grind off the numbers

cheers robin