Notices

Bring back the old style forum..

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2004, 09:32 PM
-R6-
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Bring back the old style forum..

I hate the style of the new forum, it's just like all the others now!.

imho.

Chris
Old 03 February 2004, 09:35 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well said - and WHY does it always include the message you are replying to in the new message box or am I just being stupid - annoying.

It looks like the horrible colours of the new Microsoft Office 2003. Bleughhhh!

I liked the cold blue look.
Old 03 February 2004, 10:14 PM
Bee
Scooby Regular

Yup, totally agree! Even worse...you can't stick a new post or reply to a post on F/sale or Wanted etc unless your a SN+ member? Sort it out!

- Bee
Old 03 February 2004, 10:24 PM
-R6-
Scooby Newbie

Ok lets vote!

Bring it back support list1

1. -R6- (leader of the ring)

Last edited by -R6-; 03 February 2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03 February 2004, 10:29 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Aye,

like the face lift but this pay £25 to post things for sale and stuff!!! Nonsense!!
Will have to face facts that it prob will never go back to a free community service so I think I will be spending a good bit less time on here
They can go on about it being the busiest motoring BB in the world if they like but the fact is they are turning the majority of their following away all IMO of course.
Old 03 February 2004, 10:44 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Arrow

As has been stated elsewhere, in order to advertise things on SN, you do not have to be a Plus member and indeed it does not cost £25 to "post" in For Sale.

Indeed, to create new thread(s) in For Sale will cost £5 per month or £15 per year. SN is, by no means, not the only car orientated BBS to have implemented this policy.
Old 03 February 2004, 10:55 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Bring it back support list2

1. -R6- (leader of the ring)[/QUOTE]
2. WRXMANIA
Old 04 February 2004, 09:36 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

Aye, but it does cost where as it didnt before. Thats what I am getting at!
There may well be other BBS' that do this however they do not have the popularity of this one.........what does that tell you ?
It is a business right enough but gone a step too far if you ask me
Old 04 February 2004, 11:29 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with the old BBS was it was heavily modded by Simon/Suan from the standard bbs code. This made things very unrelaible and it appeared to be crippling the system.

The new BBS uses the vBulletin software and being very popular means it will look just like some other boards using the software. The question is whether the software can be easily (and reliably) modified to give SN a unique look 'n feel.

Personally, I think it looks good and just took a little bit of getting used too. Going back to SN2 would be a poor backwards step IMHO.

I don't like the fact that a reply automatically generates a quote, but I'm sure Simon/Suan can change that.

As for paying to sell, well I'm personally not going to spend £25 for the Plus Membership simply because I don't think it gives me anymore benefits than the free service. The discounts in the Shop are good, but I can find goods cheaper elsewhere by simply going straight to the supplier and haggling a deal of my own. There's also Group Buy's to help with bringing costs down.

Simon has already stated the costs to run this BBS and those have to be met somehow. Either the mods pay for it all themselves or they sell advertising/sponsorship to pay for it or they charge the users a small amount for using it.

People were calling for seperate For-Sale forums and one dedicated for cars. Autotrader charges a small fee, so I don't have an issure with being charged a small amount to advertise a car on here. Question as a seller is what does SN offer that Autotrader (or any other competitor) does not and especially how prominent the ad would be to other users.

I don't think SN could survive very long if the advertising or memberships were completely removed. At the end of the day, it costs a lot of money to keep running. It may have thousands of users, but they don't contribute to any of the running costs. If I were Simon, I'd either have to consider shutting it down completely or find ways to make it pay for itself.

It's not like you can simple stick an old PC on your home DSL connection and run SN from there; not with thousands of users and the huge amount of traffic.

I guess if people want to go back 5 years to the days of SN1, then they can always head over to the 22B bbs and chat with a few well-known characters

Just my 2p's worth,

Stefan
Old 04 February 2004, 04:54 PM
Rourkey
Scooby Regular

Yip, crap im afraid, what's wrong with it the way it was ?
Old 04 February 2004, 05:08 PM
-R6-
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Originally Posted by ozzy
The problem with the old BBS was it was heavily modded by Simon/Suan from the standard bbs code. This made things very unrelaible and it appeared to be crippling the system.

The new BBS uses the vBulletin software and being very popular means it will look just like some other boards using the software. The question is whether the software can be easily (and reliably) modified to give SN a unique look 'n feel.

Personally, I think it looks good and just took a little bit of getting used too. Going back to SN2 would be a poor backwards step IMHO.

I don't like the fact that a reply automatically generates a quote, but I'm sure Simon/Suan can change that.

As for paying to sell, well I'm personally not going to spend £25 for the Plus Membership simply because I don't think it gives me anymore benefits than the free service. The discounts in the Shop are good, but I can find goods cheaper elsewhere by simply going straight to the supplier and haggling a deal of my own. There's also Group Buy's to help with bringing costs down.

Simon has already stated the costs to run this BBS and those have to be met somehow. Either the mods pay for it all themselves or they sell advertising/sponsorship to pay for it or they charge the users a small amount for using it.

People were calling for seperate For-Sale forums and one dedicated for cars. Autotrader charges a small fee, so I don't have an issure with being charged a small amount to advertise a car on here. Question as a seller is what does SN offer that Autotrader (or any other competitor) does not and especially how prominent the ad would be to other users.

I don't think SN could survive very long if the advertising or memberships were completely removed. At the end of the day, it costs a lot of money to keep running. It may have thousands of users, but they don't contribute to any of the running costs. If I were Simon, I'd either have to consider shutting it down completely or find ways to make it pay for itself.

It's not like you can simple stick an old PC on your home DSL connection and run SN from there; not with thousands of users and the huge amount of traffic.

I guess if people want to go back 5 years to the days of SN1, then they can always head over to the 22B bbs and chat with a few well-known characters

Just my 2p's worth,

Stefan
Can you just run over that again for us stefan. (lol)

Last edited by -R6-; 04 February 2004 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04 February 2004, 05:08 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

yup bring it back
Old 04 February 2004, 05:47 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Smile

PG,

It's free to advertise on PistonHeads and you can upload the photos directly (i.e. no uploading at a third party site and hot-linking).

Cheers,

N
Old 04 February 2004, 06:04 PM
wee Davie
Scooby Regular

Bring back the old scooby net
Old 04 February 2004, 07:07 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Thanks Numptie.

TBH it was more the non motoring related things I found more interesting. I had bought and sold a lot of items via the for sale forum and liked dealing with the community, know the names and as a rule could trust most of the people that posted.

PG
Old 04 February 2004, 07:36 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Smile

There are a few sections in the classifieds for non motoring stuff and the peeps are generally as trustworthy.

Cheers,

N
Old 04 February 2004, 07:47 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Disagree overall, think the new SN will be easier and better in the long run with its new look etc. Yes I disagree with some things but I cant fault the reasons and implementation of SN3.
I dont know a whole lot about programming and databases, but vBulletin will prove itself a lot better the SN2 ever did, OK it looks a bit bland and the same as everyone else but its the content that brought people to Scoobynet.
Spooks
Old 04 February 2004, 08:28 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mmmmmm

All our names have suddenly turned ENORMOUS BLUE.

I think I could read it before. Now it looks even more like a rainbow.
Old 04 February 2004, 08:30 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

I must admit I do like the feature of the new SN 3 system etc I just object to the nursery school colours. Much nicer and classier colours were to be had before - the carbon effect is nice though not with the orange.

Anyone else, like me, think it will be good but is just to tacky in a way (sorry mods - we appreciate your efforts).
Old 04 February 2004, 09:22 PM
grass-hopper
Scooby Regular

Red face

thought the old one was better.
Old 04 February 2004, 09:37 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris

So what was so great about the old version? It was slower than a slow thing at a national sloth convention FFS and it was a nightmare making any changes to it.

I'm sure once Simon/Shaun have finished with the important stuff like getting a decent search facility online they'll concentrate on making it look a little more subdued.

Stefan
Old 04 February 2004, 10:17 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

IMPORTANT
It is essenstial that you read firstly this post, and secondly all replies before posting a bug or question, to make sure your question has not already been answered. Due to time constraints, we will have to ignore repeated questions, and possibly delete posts that change the direction of the thread due to this.

Target for initial bug fixes
Lots of work is now happening in order to get the major fixes in place within the next 2 weeks.

Search
Requires full database indexing of all posts from last site. Performing this indexing over the next week and will have up and running within 2 weeks from now.

All users who did not have a join date in the last system will now have a join date of 1970. this is due to the different way that this software stores and handles dates. We will be creating join dates for those based on initial post date, and a few other bits of info and will be imported at some point over the next two weeks.

Edit Old Posts
The option has been set that members can only edit their own posts within half an hour of posting. This is to stop people going back and changing what they've typed.

UBB Code not working in some forums
This is an admin option that we will be rectifying shortly.

Under 13
This has now been resolved. Please check your profile to ensure everything is set how you want it, as we had to reset everyone's profile to standard.

VIP List
Is now Buddy List (in your profile), or click a username to add them to your buddy list. Currently you cannot add yourself to your buddy list. We will look at making a modification to the code after the initial priority items have been done.

Favourites and VIP Lists from old Board
We are working on importing these, and hope to have that done within the next 2 weeks also.

Missing Replies / Threads
All threads and posts should have been imported. Please check the following :
Options at the bottom of the page to show how long ago you want to see threads form (previous 2 day, previous month, etc).
When viewing the thread, the pages buttons (eg. to skip to page 4) only shows 5 pages, you need to click "last" to view the last page, or go through one at a time, and the list will change as you go.

If you have check both of those and are ABSOLUTELY sure that the posts are missing, please post a new thread stating "MISSING POSTS : [Thread Title]" in this forum and post the details as simply and clearly as possible.

We will investigate as soon as possible.

Can't Access Some Forums
The following forums are subscription only.
Fight Club
Scooby Lounge
Super Muppets
In addition, the For Sale forum is subscription only for post NEW THREADS. Anyone can reply.
Please see www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/subscriptions.php for information on the different subscriptions available form as little as £5.

Google Switch off for Plus Members
Apologies, we will get this working asap. I would expect it to happen within the next 4 - 5 days, depending on how long it takes to solve the server load issues. In the mean time, we've made them even less intrusive, but placing them completely seperate to the rest of the thread.

All the best

Simon

Originally posted yesterday by Simon.

SN3 will get better and the old one won't be back!!
Old 04 February 2004, 10:36 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

i agree i did like it the first 30 mins

but its too fecking dull and blue and grey

old was alot better and colourful
Old 04 February 2004, 10:46 PM
-R6-
Scooby Newbie

A bit like saying what was wrong with the classic scoob! loads of people still say it's the best scoob, some don’t agree.

Can’t see me changing my mind just because you disagree with what I think of SN3, and I’m certainly not going to explain why I don’t like it.

It’s also pretty obvious that there's no way there going to change it back to the old one, but that’s not going to change my opinion of the new one.

Perhaps SN3 should have been finished and tested first.

Chris
Old 05 February 2004, 12:24 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Angry

quite right r6!!! my posts keep on disappearing!
Old 05 February 2004, 03:18 PM
-R6-
Scooby Newbie

Has anyone got a bigger spoon?, this one's broken!
Old 06 February 2004, 12:11 AM
-R6-
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by -R6-
Has anyone got a bigger spoon?, this one's broken!
Someone rertort, please!!!!
Old 06 February 2004, 10:48 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Talking

yes it looks so bad and is realy awkward to see where everything is.
it was clear and precise b4 and didn't look cheaply done!

very dissapointed ciaran : (
Old 06 February 2004, 11:25 AM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

What do you want then?

Old 06 February 2004, 10:55 PM
dougies549
Scooby Regular

Its C R A P

Quick Reply: Bring back the old style forum..