Notices

Would we be welcome in Aberdeen ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2004, 03:23 PM
Pitch Black
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hope some of you in here can give me some advice?

I was hoping to come up to Aberdeen for the British leg of my Stag Do, since I went on one a couple of years ago in Dundee and the place, the people and the whole weekend were fantastic Anyway, can anyone give me an idea on the following;

1. Firstly, will 20+ Englishmen be welcome? (there will be no idiots with us, most are 30+, a few 40+ and a couple 50+)

2. Will a large group of males have any problems getting into the bars / clubs ? (Manchester is a f*&king nightmare for this!)

3. Is the Holiday Inn Express near where we need to be? i.e. near the pubs, bars, etc

Hopefully, you'll give us some guidance and I'm sure I'll think of some more questions later.

Thanks in advance

Paul
Old 30 January 2004, 04:00 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Wink

I live outside of Aberdeen and can't help with the info on getting into bars in town, but I think you'll find this (stag parties) is getting tough all over Europe. As a patriotic Jock, who has some damn good friends from south of the wall, I would hope you would not get hassled in Abz...just because you speak funny, but hell that many folk on a stag party could get in trouble anywhere given enough beer and money!

Good luck
Jools

Old 30 January 2004, 04:16 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I dont think you would have a problem with getting into places, unless you all charge the doormen at once!!

The people up in Aberdeen are friendly, and Aberdeen is usually a really good night out for both clubs and bars!! hehe

I lived in England for 11 years, and got no hassle down there with my Scottish accent, and likewise, when I came back home with a very slight "english twang" I dont get any comments.

I think the Holiday Inn Express is just off Top end of King Street (Union Street End) so that means you will be about a 5 min walk to the centre, I must warn you though............... In my experience, taxi's are a nightmare to get in Aberdeen, so be prepared to walk/crawl (delete appropriate) home!!

Not sure if there is a decent site which can give you some info on places to go. Maybe a tourist info site?!

Have a good one anyway...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 30 January 2004, 04:29 PM
Pitch Black
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, if Dundee was anything to go by we should be laughing! (although it heplped the situation when we invited all the locals up to a private room above their pub to view the striper )

None of that filth on this trip though
Old 30 January 2004, 04:43 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

None of that filth on this trip though
Its ok mate, we wont tell on you!!

Cheers,
Grant

Edit to say, bugger... Gutted that I missed that last stag do in Dundee!! lol

[Edited by RS Grant - 1/30/2004 4:44:34 PM]
Old 30 January 2004, 05:46 PM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

Been on a few stag nights in Aberdeen and never had a problem getting in anywhere with a large group of blokes

Holiday Inn Express - good place to stay, although a lot of the new cars are up the other end of union street and as has been said, taxi's are a nightmare! Still, it's only a 15/20 minute walk at the most....

If you were here for a couple of nights, then do 1 in town, and 1 down at the harbour bars.... bit of a laugh down there!

Mike
Old 30 January 2004, 07:35 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
Since there are so many of you, I doubt you'll have a problem. Not many gangs of twenty + Aberdonians looking for trouble going about! You might get a few dirty looks from ars*holes in certain bars, but most folk live and let live and are out for a good time minding their own. Plenty of lovely ladies to eye up
Old 30 January 2004, 07:46 PM
nyquist
Scooby Regular

if its a large group of guys call the places u intend to go beforehand and let them know - better chances of getting let in + u may blag some free booze.
if you all look ok, just go in as a large group of guys - but send the most sober/sensible one 1st to let the doorman know that its a large party.
Dont wear any Burbery.
If you start trouble somewhere or are involved in anything, or are seen to be a bit to lairy (e.g. like staggering in the street or singing god save the q*een in a drunken warble - not a good idea) then you wont get in and the word will be passed round the other doors to keep an aye out for you.

Hope you have a nice night out - just read up on the ned culture to be informed of the local wildlife.

Old 30 January 2004, 07:47 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Speaking as a Fat Guffy b@st@rd (Local phrase for English Chap who likes his food) I'm sure you'll have no problem - if you were from Glasgow that would be a different matter (There's only one Neil Simpson ).
Old 30 January 2004, 08:22 PM
P111TJW
Scooby Regular

Reckon I'm qualified to answer this - yorkshireman living in abz for last 4 years!!
You won't get any bother, and its a fantastic night out, aberdonian lassies wear little or no clothes regardless of arctic conditions. Plenty of places to go as well, and the drinking hours make me never want to go back to england!!!!
Old 30 January 2004, 08:51 PM
Pitch Black
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

This is great stuff guys and much appreciated

The flights are booked and so is the HI Express!!! The count is 19 so far with a few to confirm. Now we need some direction in where we should be going? (arrive Fri 18:55, leave Sun pm)

No brothels please, as the F in L will be in toe

Cheers

Paul

[Edited by Pitch Black - 1/30/2004 8:51:58 PM]
Old 30 January 2004, 08:53 PM
Pitch Black
Scooby Regular

btw, LOL @ nyquist

Don't worry, anyone turning up at the airport in Burbery will not be boarding the plane
Old 30 January 2004, 09:00 PM
P111TJW
Scooby Regular

will email u the perfect pub crawl m8

do you want me to add in tittie bars?????

edited to say "whats ur email addy"?

[Edited by P111TJW - 1/30/2004 9:01:41 PM]
Old 30 January 2004, 09:13 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Pitch Black,

Glad to see the good response you have received. BTW, The thing about Burbery is not tongue in cheek, but more like quite serious advice I think, as this could well be associated with being part of the local football thug scene.

Hope you have a great night out...not sure about taking the out laws

Jools
Old 30 January 2004, 10:10 PM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

just realised....... the hotel off King Street is not the holiday Inn Express... It is a Premier Lodge (?) The Holiday Inn Express is on Chapple Street which is perfect fo rall the newer bars... and the Dolphin for a chipper on the way home

Only 2 or 3 mins from most places

Mike
Old 30 January 2004, 10:15 PM
P111TJW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

how unfortunate - just across from private eye's.......
Old 31 January 2004, 12:37 AM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

Don't mean to **** on the fire but I reckon you'd have a better night out in Glasgow........"bristol city" bars in abundance , better lookin' women ( puts flame suit on), better range of bars & clubs and your'e not just confined to the city centre i.e west-end blah blah blah..........also less travel time from England.

Check out www.s1play.com for nightlife / activites guide. Not saying Aberdeen is a bad night out, but with 10 times more guys than "burds" it creates a lot of aggro. In Glasgow, there's way more bhuna around

Cal
Old 31 January 2004, 12:38 AM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

doh ! just realised you've booked up - have a good one !
Old 31 January 2004, 08:04 AM
Pitch Black
Scooby Regular

Cool

I knew this would be a good idea

P111TJW, that would be great mate, e-mail now added to profile, cheers!

Civic Type R, Glasgow is a good night out, seen it a few times as we have a branch office up there, well in Barhead anyway. Just fancied somewhere new

Paul
Old 31 January 2004, 10:24 AM
dougies549
Scooby Regular

Hi There

(There's only one Neil Simpson ).
Now not a lot of people know what this is about but i do and i still think this kind of attitude stinks

I hope you have a great time Aberdeen as it's a good night life city, but is darn cold

Dougie

[Edited by dougies549 - 1/31/2004 10:26:03 AM]
Old 31 January 2004, 02:44 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Now not a lot of people know what this is about but i do and i still think this kind of attitude stinks
dougies549,

I can assure you that Jasey was merely providing an example of irrational bitterness between certain followers of the Dandy Dons and anyone from the west side of the central belt (and in particular those who choose to watch the best team in Govan).

He is a neutral in all of this (Arsenal supporter living in Aberdeenshire ) and derives no pleasure from reference to the Simpson / Durrant affair (background here for those not in the know).

I’m sure he agrees that; “this attitude stinks”. The fact is, as Jasey tries to illustrate, there are many people in the North East who take this seriously.

Anyway, enough of that …

Pitch Black,

I see P111TJW is sending you a pub crawl recommendation . I also notice that mike16v mentioned a crawl of the harbour bars. This is recommended and would be great for the Friday night. It will involve visiting around twelve of Aberdeen’s less salubrious drinking establishments and the opportunity to meet some interesting and colourful local characters along the way .

Post here if you want details.

Take care, apply common sense and have fun .

EDITED :

dougies549,

Rereading what you posted, you weren’t having a go at anyone (i.e. Jasey). You were just saying that you think something stinks; fair enough. I was therefore wrong to get all defensive . Apologies. It's a touchy subject. I’ll leave the content of my original reply for the sake of clarity.

[Edited by Numptie - 1/31/2004 3:41:21 PM]
Old 31 January 2004, 04:42 PM
Pitch Black
Scooby Regular

Numptie, Details would be appreciated, Thanks!

As for this 'Neil Simpson' affair? I don't think anyone in our group will be wise to it, (I certainly ain't) and anyway, most of our group are Manchester United fans who will have a soft spot for Aberdeen. (That's assuming you've forgiven us for taking your gaffer seventeen years ago)

Cheers
Paul
Old 31 January 2004, 04:49 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
I dont think we'll ever forgive you for that! Tis good to see him do so well though and no better team to watch IMO
Old 02 February 2004, 09:32 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Numptie - How did you manage to get my views spot on ?

I was making the valid point that English folk are, In General, more welcome in Aberdeen than Scottish folk who pretend they are English .

Anyway - Pitch black - Didn't realise you were a bunch of Manure fans - Up the ****

FGB
Old 02 February 2004, 11:46 AM
Pitch Black
Scooby Regular

Jasey,

Don't worry, we're not all United fans!

Unfortunatly there's 1xEverton, 1xYoevil, 1xBlackpool, 3xBurnley, 2x****ty, 1xStockport, 1xGrimsby, 1xNewcastle, 1xM'boro, the rest are United.

Paul
Old 02 February 2004, 11:55 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Smile

Have fun - I'm sure you will !

"Charlies" have a 2-1 that seems to last all night - Was there Saturday and couldn't read the sign
Old 03 February 2004, 08:28 AM
Pitch Black
Scooby Regular

Question

Is it just me, or have I lost page 2 of this thread?
Old 03 February 2004, 08:29 AM
Pitch Black
Scooby Regular

Just me then!!!!!!

It's just reappeared?????
Old 03 February 2004, 08:45 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

I think there were some "Issues" yesterday - It dissapeared completely for a while !

Aberdeen still here though
Old 03 February 2004, 08:50 AM
sarahbee
Scooby Regular

Charlies is 2-4-1 everyday and all night. CAn however get a bit of a squish, but if you are getting 2-4-1 then who is complining.
Think Cul-de-sac is 69p drinks but not sure when that runs as I am not a local there. Paramount has a 2-4-1 running but think that is only until 7pm.

Hope you all have a great time

Sarah

Quick Reply: Would we be welcome in Aberdeen ?