Notices

Fed up with cr@p road surfaces in Scotland?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2004, 12:58 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For anyone interested in trying to improve the condition of our roads, this might be worth a try.
I spoke to my Local Authority this morning to complain about the state of the roads in my area.
He said that they had insufficient funds to do any resurfacing/rebuilding, all they could do was patch them up!
So I asked him "Who can do something about it then?"
He advised that the only thing to do is contact your local MSP.

So, for anyone interested, look on www.scottish.parliament.uk and go to MSPs List and search for your local representative by typing in your postcode.
Once you have done this, you can get their e-mail address from the list provided on the web-site.

For Eastwood area,(my local area) the MSP is:
kenneth.macintosh.msp@scottish.parliament.uk

BOMBARD these, so called "representatives" with e-mail.
It might even do some good!

Cheers!
Old 22 January 2004, 01:16 PM
ANDYUK300
Scooby Regular

good idea, about time these so called "representatives" earned their over inflated wages.
Old 22 January 2004, 01:28 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Totally agree - the roads are laughable, and I'm talking motorways with potholes where you only get to learn about them by bouncing in and out them over a few days. Then its a case of memory to aviod them - how many times have we seen people in front of us move out alittle to miss them, but you go thumping in.

Alot worse with lowered/stiffened suspension - you feel your fillings work loose.
Old 22 January 2004, 03:18 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Couldn't agree more - bad enough in a car, even more so for 2-wheeled road users.
Worst is often where the road has been dug up then pathced again - seems to utility co. or whoever does that is not capable of returning the road to anything like it's original state. Pi$$ poor in my opinion.
Might be nice to see a little more of our Road Tax going towards this sort of thing ?
Old 22 January 2004, 08:19 PM
nyquist
Scooby Regular

Red face

you ever see long stretches of road where the drains are all in the middle of the road, just off centre (e.g. byron st. dundee) and they're like 2" lower in the road - i end up doing a slalom on way home! think some road planner was having a laugh! - and whats with those road calming measures where they narrow the road by extending a pavement out - kamikazie time if you come across white-van-man, maxpower-ned or a buss!

and anyone ever torn up the tarmac, literally - you know that crappy surface when they just spray liquid tar down and then throw some chuckies over and let the cars "bed it in" for weeks getting stonechips - when i brake hard on those surfaces it actually pulls it up! - also seen trucks make their own tracks in it! - useless! - even can do that on my mtb!
Old 22 January 2004, 11:58 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

there has been lots of petitions about this from bikers for years with thousands signing and still nothing has been done
Old 23 January 2004, 01:35 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Even worse where I stay - they seem to have no cash to fix the fvcked up roads, but an unlimited budged to re-design the existing roads that have nothing wrong with them.

What makes it worse is that you know before a single cone has gone down that they're going to make a cvnt of it, like they put a set of traffic lights on a busy dual carriageway for a junction that leads only to a car park that no-one ever uses (it's in the middle of nowhere). WTF?!?

I've only been driving about 7 years and the number of traffic lights/roundabouts in this area has gone up about 10-fold, as has the rate of congestion. I somehow doubt the number of cars has increased 10-fold so there's obviously some ***** making serious ****-ups somewhere and getting paid silly amounts of cash to do it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img].
Old 23 January 2004, 01:13 PM
ANDYUK300
Scooby Regular

In Helensburgh on some of the roads its like riding on a rollercoaster, but what made me laugh last year was that all along the seafront they painted the LAMPPOSTS a lovely maroon colour. most of the poeple that sit there eating their ice creams cant see 4ft in front of them (SAGA TOURS!!!).
The icing on the cake was a cycle lane, also along the sea front. cyclists dont even use the f###ing thing as when it rains (as it usually does)it's just one mass puddle. WTF!!!!!
NICE ONE ARGYLL AND BUTE, GOOD USE OF MONEY.
Old 23 January 2004, 01:31 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

Quick up-date, sent my e-mail to the MSP for our area at 1:19pm yesterday.

Can you believe I had a reply by 1:46pm the same day.
These people are obviously REALL BUSY!
I am unable to say whether or not it came from him personally and I would very much doubt it, coz it's lunch time, right!

Got the usual nonsense about it won't change overnight, but if there are any points he wishes me to put to the Local Authority, I have just to let him know.
So anyway, every last pothole/sunken manhole etc, etc, be sure to let your MSP know.

Thanks.
Old 23 January 2004, 10:27 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

If there is an actual hole as opposed to just crappy surface then it's more likely that the council WILL fix it as otherwise they are liable if someone claims from them for damge to vehicle etc and they've been made aware of it beforehand.