Notices

Fao :- The Aberdeen Crowd (Camera Van)

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2004, 06:31 PM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,

You may have seen the "Talivan" parked on Wellington Road this afternoon ( Sunday 4/1/04).

Two Questions if I may :-

1) If the camera van is sitting on the Kincorth side of the carriageway (i.e beside the ENI offices on the grass)with it's back doors (& thus camera) facing in the direction of the Shell complex i.e ...........are they going for drivers heading into town or those on the opposite side of the road or both ?

2) Do the Aberdeen traffic police use the 10% + 2 mph rule as a minimum or would they tend to set it a tad higher given that it's a straight piece of dual carriageway.

I passed it doing circa 45-48 mph on the other side of the road and thus I'm sweating it out for the next few days. I already have some points

Thanks for any help in advance

Cal

Old 05 January 2004, 06:59 AM
Phil WRX 01
Scooby Regular

The camera is set up so it can take pics of cars on the opposite side of where it sits .
Old 05 January 2004, 10:28 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Cal you better pray they didn't catch you mate or it's public transport for you I'm afraid
Old 05 January 2004, 02:28 PM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

Marc - I just won myself a fiver I knew you'd post something to that effect.

Phil - thanks for the info - I have also seen the Talivan catching folk when situated on the same
side of the road heading towards Cove. Sounds like they can get you both ways as long as the camera
is facing you as you travel towards them.

I don't think I've been caught but I'm heavily paranoid.

That same day I passed 16 Gatso's and two different police units using handheld lasers.
No wonder the cops have never found my BMX that was stolen 17 years ago
Old 05 January 2004, 02:34 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

[Edited by Ciaran - 1/6/2004 1:40:47 PM]
Old 05 January 2004, 02:48 PM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

eh ???????
Old 05 January 2004, 03:24 PM
sarahbee
Scooby Regular

must be that Monday feeling

[Edited by sarahbee - 1/5/2004 3:26:14 PM]
Old 05 January 2004, 03:58 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cal taking out the EVO VIII FQ 300 this weekend for a test drive, should be an interesting comparison.

PS You owe me £2.50
Old 05 January 2004, 05:06 PM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

You'll need the whole fiver to contribute to those EVO service intervals :O. Nice machine though
Old 05 January 2004, 10:13 PM
wooosh
Scooby Regular

I saw it 2 weeks ago parked on the south deeside road just before it turns into a sixty. I came off the roundabout(goals) heading into the country-side doing about 40 but spotted it well back and slowed down to thirty. Hopefully, i didn't get caught.
Old 07 January 2004, 12:00 PM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

Angry

WARNING :-

Wellington Road Talivan is in same position again TODAY !!!!!! You have been warned

Only reason I know is cos I nipped home to find if they have sent me a NIP from Sunday.
Reckon I'm still being paranoid 'cos I estimate I was doing 48mph or less. With 9 points you can't be too careful

Incidentally, having passed them once from behind I drove down to the Porsche garage and turned to check if they had their warning sign within 1 km of the mobile site. They DIDN'T !!

Take care out their big bro's watchin' your every move

Cal

ps was it you ? new maroon WRX estate scoob who I flashed before he passed the van ?
Old 07 January 2004, 12:08 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

yes saw them their never seen so many cars going so slow!
Old 19 January 2004, 10:05 AM
Phil WRX 01
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know how far away these van cameras can pick you up from ?
When I was coming home from edinburgh yesterday I spotted a van cam when I was coming through dundee on the 50mph straight .I think I might have been sitting just under 60mph but I spotted it a good distance away .
Old 19 January 2004, 12:25 PM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

Phil,

Have a swatch at this.......I was done in Fife over 800metres away from the van - passed it at 60 mph - got the NIp 2 days later

------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoke to a Police officer at the motorshow who was a speed camera operator in Glasgow. The camera unit he had with him has a Mercedes Vito van dolled up like a police van where the tailgate swings up and there is a big Speed Camera Sign from the floor to about half way up.

Then there's the camera which has two glass laser lenses and a video lens with a high power zoom on it. The operator sits behind the camera and looks at a small video screen. The camera is effective to 999m at which point the laser beam is 60cm wide (about the width of your registration plate). The operator moves the camera to point at your car and there is a cross on the centre of the screen to prove it's on your car. If you are above the threshold speed the camera will beep and the operator will then pull a trigger on the camera handle. This will send out a laser beam of 40 pulses per second. It only takes three interupted pulses to determine your speed. At the same time the handle is pulled an audio pulse is added to the video tape.

As it only takes 0.017 secs to measure your speed from the time the trigger is pulled you're going to have no time to react and if someone is driving next to you, also speeding the operator will quickly and easily get them too. At the end of the day the tape is rewound and the player searches for the audio pulses where the offenders were caught. The registration is then typed into the national computer and an NIP sent out to the registered keeper. This is why the turn around for NIPs being sent out from mobile cameras is so quick.

The most alarming thing to come out of it, and something I certainly didn't know, the camera can be used in the dark! There is a night mode that can easily be switched on that darkens headlights and they can catch you at night. Got the impression they don't bother but it can happen.

The officer did tell me that the in Glasgow anyway the 10%+2 rule is applied as a minimum and the threshold may even be higher in certain places as the system couldn't cope with everyone speeding 84mph seemed to be the norm on motorways and dual carriageways.

I'm now convinced my laser unit for my Road Angel is as good as useless. If the beam isn't pointed at the windscreen the Road Angel just won't see it. After reading the SS-R quotes and now knowing this I think I'll leave any carry-on for the remotest roads in Scotland

Cheers

Cal
Old 19 January 2004, 12:28 PM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

Ciaran - do you work for Shell ? If so were you wearing a Subaru shirt last Friday ?

Cal
Old 19 January 2004, 04:02 PM
Phil WRX 01
Scooby Regular

Angry

OH S*IT!!!!!
Cheers Type R.

Phil...
Old 21 January 2004, 12:21 AM
eobd
Scooby Newbie

Civic Type R

Your write up is good.

Only thing that is missing is the fact that the camera has to be calibrated at the start and end of the detection period. When the van or otherwise is 'plotted up' the machine is checked to ensure it is working correctly and then a police vehicle with a CALIBRATED SPEEDO is driven through the 'target area' at a pre-determined speed. At the end of the detection period the same procedure is then carried out with the SAME police vehicle. Both officers must take it in turn to drive, so this means at least two recorded runs PRIOR TO, and AFTER , the detection period.

By doing this the officers individually confirm the accuracy of the camera equipment before and after the detected 'offending' vehicles are recorded. So if you are detected you have the right to see the video evidence, which should also include this calibration period in addition to your vehicle being allegedly detected, before you decide whether to except a fixed penalty where offered, or a summons to court. ALso, you can ask to see the calibration log for the speedo accuracy test of the vehicle used by the Police. This should be done to guidlines laid down by existing legislation.
Old 21 January 2004, 03:36 PM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

Very useful to know that one - I hadn't apprciated that slant on things ...........I have had heard they are having a "blitz" on Aberdeen at the moment although they do state where they'll be setting up via the Nescamp.co.uk website.

Incidentally, I was driving througha residential area in Giffnock (Glasgow)just after Christmas and shiny ersed traffic cop jumped out in front me - in itself a not unusual sight - but the ****** was hidin' inside a bloody bus stop !!!!!!

I was doing bang-on 30 so I laughed my *** off, dipped my clutch & blipped my throttle in defiance

Fairdoos to them tbh ----> they were probably on the look-out for the Burberry Brigade

The cops are always active with the hairdryers on the A90 too......Road Angel is v. handy for manually entering the known positions of these sneaky *****'s( usually hidden from view until the last minute)

I'd like to add that I don't condone speeding but I do think the entire UK population will have more then 6 points each by 2006 if they continue their covert tax collecting missions

Cal
Old 21 January 2004, 04:13 PM
eobd
Scooby Newbie

I use Snooper GPS/Radar/Laser detector myself. Was excellent on recent trip to LOndon. Went nuts in respect of the SPECS camera's. Now they are wicked, evil revenue gathering devices.

Yep,at this rate the government is going to cost motoring out of existance. Its always amazes me how they penalise the 'easy' targets. You have no convictions, get done for speeding, get a minimum 3 points & £60 fine plus this new compensation scheme thing to pay on top. On the over hand, you have a pre-cons list a mile long, break into a house, get caught, go to court and maybe get 10 hours community service and told not to do it again!

Don't get me wrong, I do not condone motoring offences. You have to remember the government are the 'puppet masters' when it comes to the police so if they can get the police forces to rake in cash they are obviously going to back the police and provide all this hi tech equipment for them to go and do it. I once asked for and eventually got the quartely revenue figures for all speed cameras in my area and the amount made me just about fall over. You thought Posh & Becks rake it in...........!!!