Notices

great roads in scotland !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2003, 11:00 PM
martinl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After 5 weeks offshore, came home to find "true grip" sittng there, read about the roads up to and around the Kyle ( great article John }
So it was a sunny Monday morn and the wife was working, out came the bike, by 1 pm I was eating fishnchips in Kyle. The weather was superb and so scraped off the insect collection and set off to Dingwall (scary fast) headed into Nairn then down towards Granton on Spey, from there towards Charleston of Abarlour before you get to Aberlour ther is a up hill hairpin {3rd gear things on the knee scraping) well Im nearly all the way round just drifting tawrds the white line still cranked over and down I go me and the bike slid 50 yards down the wrong side of the road, thank god nothing was coming the other way,I gets up run back and there is a fresh coating of diesel 2 feet wide and about 20 feet long on the exit of the bend.
The bike as £1000 of damage I wrecked the leather trousers and jacket, I also have no flesh on my left calf and all because some pratt put too much diesel in his tank.
Sorry for going on so long.
Martin

The bike as £1000 of dama
Old 24 September 2003, 12:08 AM
skyenet
Scooby Regular

Martin

Sorry to hear about your off. Glad your okay though. Nearly had a similar thing happen to me yesterday while taking my bike up to Forth to get its MOT. Just spotted a glint of sunshine off something in the approaching corner so eased off and as I got closer there was a puddle of deisel with loose gravel all around. If one hadn't got me the other would have. I mentioned it to the guy at the MOT place and he said the road was terrible for crap on it. Seemingly forresting lorries use it a lot. Needless to say I cam back a different route.

Iain

[Edited by skyenet - 9/24/2003 12:08:52 AM]
Old 24 September 2003, 12:17 AM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

A bikers worst nightmare, had a few scary moments in my short biking career, thankfully never slid down the road yet
Old 24 September 2003, 10:23 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Good to hear you are OK Martin, sorry about the bike. I suspect that police have specially designed cars that lay down oil on corners so they can walk around with stern looking faces and get themselves on TV telling how people were driving far too fast for the conditions :-)

On a more serious note I've been up and down the Ullapool - Garve road a few times recently and noticed that there were a LOT of bikes on that road with Ullapool starting to look like a bike show. Perhaps word has got out as to how good it is as I know it was discussed on here about a month back? Anyhow it's probably time to be careful up there as HM Photographic Tax Collectors from Dingwall will soon be reaping some benefit. I noticed that almost every layby has it's own personal set of VASCAR timing lines painted on the road so perhaps it's bikes they are aiming at.
Old 24 September 2003, 11:01 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of your off, I use that road a bit and that corner is a beauty but as you found out it can be quite contaminated due to the amount of HGV's that use it, the last time I came up there there was a guy in a Dhiatsu (sp) jeep trying to be the hero and on exiting the corner I watched the mirror as he started doing a huge tank slapper and then spun completely, it made me laugh so much, a 4x4 looks really funny bouncing around before it spins!
Old 24 September 2003, 09:44 PM
Kendo
Scooby Regular

Aye Aberlour is 5 miles up the road from us, the state of it in summer through spilt diesel is unbelievable.
My boss has an R1 don't how many times i have been following him in the GTI-R then the Scooby to see him almost lose it through hitting an oily patch.

Old 24 September 2003, 10:04 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

If I'm in the right bit it is the delnashaugh (delnashach) corner at the junction with the Tomintoul cut off, and I think the reason that there are so many bikes up towards Garve and Ullapool is that the German bike magazines publish road maps of the best bike routes in Scotland
Old 25 September 2003, 07:51 PM
Kendo
Scooby Regular

Yip sounds like the Delnashaugh corner got some footage some where of a mate going round there with titanium sliders !!

I was coming home that way tonight see theres diesel on the road AGAIN ...
Old 26 September 2003, 05:51 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Real bad news Martin, hope the repairs to the leg...and the bike go best they can.

Jools
Old 26 September 2003, 02:09 PM
martinl
Scooby Regular

thats the very corner,Dalnashaugh. I used to love that corner but not any more.
I have bits for the bike coming from all over the country, the wife will go mad when she see's the visa bill, hopefully I'll be away by then.
Thanks for the reply's boys.
Laters