Notices

I'm a totally neutral footie fan and tonight I thought.......

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2003, 01:20 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, given I am a Scot, and a neutral footie fan, some of the 'gers gibberish on here is uncalled for.

We should surely be proud of a Scottish team reaching the finals of a european competition. As I am neutral in Scottish football terms, but biased towards seeing success for Scotland, I obviously wanted Celtic to win.

However, the general impression I was left with was that the Scottish/UK ethos is too "nice/polite" and the Portugese team were a bunch of players who played the "game" as far as they could given the refereeing "standard" that was shown.

If the game had been played on morals alone, surely Celtic would have won 3-0.
I think Celtic played a fair game, and Porto "played" the game. Maybe it would have made no difference to the final outcome, but the way it happened, it sure left a sour taste in the mouth.

As always, in football, I am always disappointed in the "pain" shown by players when tackled. Watch a rugby match, and you see FAR bigger body checks going in, yet the players just shrug it off and play on. What is it with football players? Are they really so cowardly to have to curl up in pain every time their shin gets touched by another player? FFS, have you ever seen a stretcher in rugby????

To sum up, just seems a shame. Celtic seemed to play the "fair" game, yet it did them no favours in the end. No-one remembers the runner-up. :-(

Feel sorry for them.
Old 22 May 2003, 01:55 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

exactly it the referee was an a hole!! through and through no doubt about it balde's sendin off finished it!!
Old 22 May 2003, 11:35 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

imlach beautifully said mate
Old 22 May 2003, 11:57 AM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

'the gibberish' is what you expect irrelevant of who made the final. Only and idiot would not expect some spirited responses to the pre-match comments....and its not only from gers fans I see

Good points mentioned though.
Old 22 May 2003, 12:45 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well said Imlach

If Celtic had made more use of Agathe and if his delivery (along with Sean Maloney's which was simply a disgrace) had been alot better then things could have been alot different.

Martin O'Neil should have sussed the ref out right away and told his players (as Larson did once and got a free kick) to dive all over the place and play the dirty cheatin' Portuguese at their own game

If you don't have the technical ability to beat a team fair and square then in a game of that magnitude he should have resorted to more dodgy tactics. But you can't blame Porto for trying to kill the game. Sure Celtic would have done the same if they'd been ahead at any point.

Still very sorry to see them beat by a bunch of cheatin' timewasting non-sportsmanlike players [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 22 May 2003, 05:46 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Red face

Well with two Italian clubs in CL League final it could be a very interesting game - you could see the first double sending off before the match as the club captains collapse in agony after shaking hands with each other !