Notices

ECUTEK ECU.HAS ANYONE TRIED ONE?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2003, 08:16 PM
kevperth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAS ANYONE ANY ADVISE ON THE TEK 2 FOR THE 99 IMPREZA .ARE THEY WORTH BUYING .HEARD REPORTS IN SOME CASES THEY SLOW THE CAR DOWN.
Old 25 February 2003, 08:32 PM
Des
Scooby Regular

Hi.

Just do a search on 'ECUTEK'. There have been loads of threads on this. So far Ive not heard of a car slowing down due to one though....

Cheers
Old 26 February 2003, 12:17 AM
GordonShek
Scooby Regular

HEARD REPORTS IN SOME CASES THEY SLOW THE CAR DOWN.
Only at traffic lights and police cameras
Old 26 February 2003, 01:58 AM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had mine done a while ago and it definitely improved the car. Not just top-end, but it also has more pull at lower revs.

Worth the money IMHO, and painless installation.

HTH,

Dave
Old 26 February 2003, 10:11 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've got a Tek2.5 and a full decat and the car flys. Good mod
Old 26 February 2003, 12:00 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

I had a Tek 2.5 on my Scooby - made a massive difference and I didn't have a decat.

John Banks did mine and I can't recommend him highly enough.
Old 26 February 2003, 01:07 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they slow the car down then is it because the car was not behaving correctly (read unsafe) in the first place.

Reasons I have seen for this are cars running lean with dodgy mass airflow sensor readings (run great until they blow up) and some cars overboosting or badly setup with boost controllers or boost creeping exhausts. I have undoubtedly not added performance to one or two cars I have done - all were detting when they arrived and not when they left. All Ecutek dealers map the ECUs on the basis that if you don't like it at the end of the mapping you don't pay and it goes back to standard. There are occasionally issues with cars where things don't work as intended and they are down on power... this has always been something other than the ECU when it has been looked into. For example a car which was remapped was outperformed by a standard car... upon investigation there was a dirty great hole in the intercooler. On fixing this the car gained 55 BHP on the rollers.

Also the way the torque is delivered with a remap is that it comes in lower, as a result there is a perception on some cars that there is less of a "hit" when the boost comes in. In fact the car is quicker overall but also smoother, many report the same with decat exhausts.

The Tek 2 and the map I supply for MY99/00 with decats has higher boost targets and wastegate duty cycles across the range, and they are at least as lean as the leanest standard ECU. They run extra ignition timing where safe to do so. So far, no Ecutek remapped car has had an engine let go anywhere in the world as far as I am aware, and the number now done is in the thousands.

At the end of the day it is a tool for running the correct boost, spark and fuelling. I would rather have to occasionally be very careful with a car to keep it safe than have loads of cars running dangerously and blowing up.

You have to bear in mind that on most Subarus the turbos and intercoolers are just inadequate for getting much more than 15% extra power out of.

Perceptions of individuals vary - some people are delighted with only 20 BHP extra, others don't notice 40 BHP extra (seriously).

If you want massive increases in power you are going to have to do a lot more than an ECU to get it. The ECU can only make the most of what is already there.

[Edited by john banks - 2/26/2003 1:11:47 PM]