Notices

Calling Scots Scoobynetters.

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2003, 11:05 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Me an my Lass are thinking about coming North for a week in August. I'm just looking for an idea of where is good to go. We want to hire a cottage somwhere that has a bit of life, but nothing too wild. As you will understand the Scoob is an issue, so i don't want the Scottish equivalent to Moss Side. Any ideas anyone?
Is August a busy month Doctor Banks?
Old 11 January 2003, 01:11 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about Largs or Gourock. Near enough To Glasgow for shopping and stuff (much better than Edinburgh), loads of pubs, great views over the Clyde and just a quick ferry trip away from the best driving roads in Scotland (Loch Lomond).
Old 11 January 2003, 04:20 PM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Brun,
Kinda depends what your looking for. Edinburgh is rammed in August with the festival, so I'd avoid it personally, by the way I don't know if you lnow but Scotland doen't have the same bank holiday weekend as down here.

There are so many good places, you could have a look for somewhere on the west coast, Oban is pretty nice (only been for the odd day so don't know what it'd be like for the week), nice road up through Glencoe too, you can also get ferries from here to some of the islands.
Alternativley how about the Inverness area, plenty of good twistie B roads and a fair bit to see and do and relativley lively. (Inverness will take you about 6 and a half hours from Leeds). Once you start getting north of Inverness it's really nice, but fairly quiet.
Somwhere else you might want to consider is around Loch Lomond which is really nice and c. 25 miles from Glasgow for a bit of life etc.
All the above should be fairly good in terms of getting some self catering places.
Personally I'm from near Avimore and the area is pretty decent for walking, golfing, sailing/windsurfing, gliding, drinking (1am licence most nights) and lots of good roads for driving, it can relativley be a bit quiet but it really depends what your after.

As for avoiding the Scottish equivalent of Mosside you should be safe enough as long as your not in say Glasgow or Edinburgh itself, but the dodgy bits are kinda obvious. Not really up on car crime back home but most of the more rural areas are probably going to be okay.

There are plenty of other good places, you should probably contact the Scotish tourist board and they will no doubt send you some bumf which might give you a few ideas. Once you've had a think if you want info on anywhere specific post it on here and I'll see if I know owt or nowt about it.

Steve
Old 11 January 2003, 05:05 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

To continue from what steve has mentioned. Car crime in rural parts is almost no existant, though i did have a bike stolen once but thats over 14 years. Loch Lomond is a must if you want some nice driving roads.

The reason i mentioned Gourock is because of it's central location and it's ferry services, you can get to loch Lomond in about 30 minutes and is also about 45 minutes from Glasgow. It's ideal if you want to drive down the west coast, go over to Loch Lomond/Inverary, Shopping in Glasgow and it's well within reach of Sterling and Edinburgh should you want to visit the castles (though there are dozens of other castles around that just aren't as well known).
Old 12 January 2003, 03:32 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

Theres some cracking roads heading out of Largs down into Ayrshire too. take the A760 then cut off for Dalry. Great fun.
Old 13 January 2003, 11:04 AM
JohnS

It all depends on what you mean by a bit of life!

If you are looking for lots of nightclubs, lots of restaurants etc., then you would be best finding somewhere relatively close to one of the bigger cities. If however, you are simply looking for a pub within walking distance (remember it's daylight until almost midnight in August!) then you have a much bigger choice.

Anywhere outside the very centre of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee or Aberdeen - there is virtually no car crime to note. Yes, you get the occasional theft, but most of the time it's a local trying to find a vehicle to save him some time on the way back from the pub

Places that spring to mind would be Inverness/Loch Ness area. quite feasible to visit any of the big cities in a day by car, and would also be a good base for touring the very scenic west coast etc., where you'll find the very best driving roads in the UK (nice and empty as well!), and some of the best secenery.

Other places like Oban and Fort William also come to mind - lots of small friendly pubs and restaurants etc., and very close to Skye which is worth a day (or two) trip.

August would probably be the busiest month to visit Scotland, and you can expect good (!) weather, but it's also in prime midgie season. It depends on how much walking you intend to do, but the little blighters can put a downer on some holidays if you aren't prepared for them

If it's a completely isolated location, with nothing within walking distance apart from a loch, hills and a stream, and with cracking driving roads all around, then I can heartily recommend http://www.lochcarronestate.com/lodges/. We have stayed there a couple of times, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's reasonably well equipped for a cottage (New Lodge), though it's a 15 minute drive to the nearest shop/off-licence etc.

John
Old 13 January 2003, 08:42 PM
gadge
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

what about North East Fife

St Andrews ( the home of golf and all that good pubs )

easy drive to Edinburgh for the shoping
and there are a ell of alot of scooby`s hear ( the only 0 rated car crime zone in the UK)

which all makes me all the time

garry ( cupar fife)
Old 14 January 2003, 12:35 AM
MadScotsXR2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

http://www.easycottages.com/index.htm

not bad priced if u fancy it...West coast above Glasgow for drives and Edinburgh side for being able to understand what anyone sayz to you LOL

Old 14 January 2003, 06:59 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Cheers lads.
My perfect place for a Cottage would be a large Village or small town, with 3 or 4 pubs local shops etc. Somewhere near a larger town would be an advantage.
Me and bird like to chill out and sip wine in front of an open fire (fire in August?). That is until she goes to bed and i hit the Stella
Old 14 January 2003, 07:03 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

I was up at a Wedding near Stirling in 2001 and i couldn't get over the whole fresh Scottish air thing, you Scots must choke when you venture south.
Old 14 January 2003, 10:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am quite near a sensible route North.

Email me your plans and Scooby needs if you wish
Old 15 January 2003, 11:26 AM
WRX PLAYTIME
Scooby Regular

Alyth in perthshire is smart 5 pubs wee town brilliant laugh and on 20min from dundee. give me a shout if your interested.
Old 15 January 2003, 11:47 AM
GordonShek
Scooby Regular

Brun

Try Fort William. That's a nice place with Glen Nevis cottages to hire out. Car parks right in front of the cottage, so no probs there. Been there, done that, and loved it.

Cheers

Gordon
Old 18 January 2003, 01:11 AM
chriswishart
Scooby Regular

Everyone in scotland knowes the most up-comming place to be is livingston west lothian.

would be more than happy to show you the sites.
Old 18 January 2003, 01:25 AM
MadScotsXR2
Scooby Regular

Livingston LMAO very good

Fort William the drive up from Callender is one of the best in the UK scenary, twistys and mile long straights can't beat it

that link i put has cottages up there...whole house all to urself. I drive up there 2-3 times a year myself and organise a Highland Fling run as one of the XR owners club Scottish Co-ordinators
Old 18 January 2003, 04:09 AM
chriswishart
Scooby Regular

nuff said xr owner
Old 18 January 2003, 09:37 AM
gadge
Scooby Regular

[Everyone in scotland knowes the most up-comming place to be is livingston ] ( i must not in Scotland then) lol mmm not realy and oil painting is it
Old 18 January 2003, 06:04 PM
MadScotsXR2
Scooby Regular

Wink

all down to what u wana spend and the mileage i suppose

Old 18 January 2003, 06:17 PM
p1 tud
Scooby Regular

i agree with marty largs is very nice and not far from glasgow for good shopping.