Notices

Suggestion for a cure to South Aberdeen traffic congestion ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2002, 01:52 PM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Having been sat in long traffic queues in the Bridge of Dee area many a time, I decided to sit down and think what could be done about it. The plan would certainly raise a few eyebrows, but I believe the advantages would far outweigh any disadvantages, and may take the pressure off the area until the new city bypass gets built, if it ever does.

Although these sound fairly radical, the amount of engineering work would actually be quite small, with no new sets of lights required, underpasses or flyovers to be constructed. Only the digging up of 4 roundabouts to be done, and some fairly major road line painting, filter lane construction, and lots of one way signs, would need to be installed, much of which could be done in advance.

The idea is to turn the Bridge of Dee, Riverside Drive, the next bridge down (can't remember it's name) and Gt Southern road into a very large (perhaps the world's largest ?) roundabout, with between two and 5 lanes at any point!!

Traffic coming into Aberdeen on the Stonehaven Road will only be able to go across the Bridge of Dee (now dual carriageway), but will do so without stopping. Traffic from Leggart Tce can join at a Give Way junction and turn left over the bridge only. Traffic from Stonehaven Rd can turn left into Leggart Tce.

Across the Bridge of Dee, Traffic across the Bridge will be able to turn left towards B&Q etc, go straight up Anderson Drive, or right onto Riverside Drive (now one way dual carriageway through to Gt Southern Rd.), again without any roundabouts, give ways or traffic lights. The bottom end of Holburn Street would be blocked off (pedestrian/shopping area with underpass through to the B&Q etc?), with the only way in and out being a new roundabout beside the Esso petrol station.

At Gt Southern Rd, Riverside drive would have two lanes, one which goes straight up Gt Southern Rd towards the city (no stopping or give way required), and one which goes straight across the bridge in the right most lane (again no stopping/give way required). Coming down Gt Southern Road, there would be two lanes going straight across the bridge, one lane for eventually turning right towards Stonehaven, and one for turning left up West Tullos Road. You would also be able to turn left along Riverside Drive past Duthie Park, again without any restrictions or stopping required.

Coming along past Duthie Park on Riverside Drive towards Gt Southern Rd, you would only be able to turn left across the bridge in a filter lane, and then you could switch lanes near the middle/end of the bridge if you wanted to turn right towards Stonehaven.

Coming down West Tullos Rd, you could only go straight ahead towards the Bridge of Dee, or left up Porvost Watt Drive. Once at the Bridge of Dee, you could head straight out the dual carriageway towards Stonehaven without stopping. You could also turn right across the Bridge of Dee (going the opposite way to the filter lane that exists already), merging with the traffic coming in from the Stonehaven Rd.

Coming along Garthdee Rd past B&Q, Asda etc towards where the Holburn St roundabout is at the moment, you could only turn left up Anderson Drive in a filter lane, thus ending all the traffic chaos there at weekends in one fell swoop. It is the tailback of traffic waiting to join the roundabout at Holburn Street which causes all the problems. Traffic wanting to go straight ahead (Riverside Drive now that Holburn Street is blocked off), would need to go up Anderson Drive, right round the (possibly ?) new roundabout at Ruthriestone Rd (enables traffic coming out of the housing estates to easily head north/south as required), and then back down, where they could then proceed along Riverside Drive.

Old 08 November 2002, 01:53 PM
JohnS

Question

If you wanted to go over the Gt Southern Rd bridge and up Provost Watt Drive, then you would have to drive the 1/3 mile up to the AC Yule roundabout, and go back down again before turning left. Alternatively, since there would no longer be any queues at thr bridge coming down the hill, the junction at Abbotswell Crescent could be opened up again, as it would only be local traffic, with no rat-runners (it being far quicker to just go straight down West Tullos Rd and out the Stonehaven Road, or across the Bridge of Dee, than work your way through the housing estate to beat the queues at the bridge).

The only "problem" area would be traffic coming down from the Kincorth area, which wishes to travel along Leggart Tce, and out the South Deeside Road. This could be solved by building a new roundabout on the Stonehaven Rd at Cairngorm Rd. This would have the added benefit of slowing down traffic as it approached the Bridge of Dee, and then filtering them into one lane to go across the bridge (the other lane being used by traffic coming along from the Gt Southern Rd direction before merging).

There would most likely be an increase in traffic flow (with resulting queues) at the Anderson Drive/Gt Western Road traffic lights. The physical layout and traffic volume means that a roundabout would be impractical. Therefore I would suggest prohibiting right turns at this junction off of Anderson Drive (the percentage of cars doing this is relatively small) , giving two lanes of traffic to go either straight ahead or turn left. By changing the lights so that opposing traffic flows at the same time, the flow of traffic through the junction could be considerably increased. This would open up scope for slightly longer traffic flows along Gt Western Road. By also introducing a right filter in the mornings southbound onto Anderson Drive (traffic flowing out from the city centre in the mornings is only about 1/3 or less of that heading in, which can tail back to Springfield Rd!), it would virtually eliminate the traffic taking rat runs over the speed humps to join Anderson Drive at Broomhill Rd. Likewise, a right filter could be used in the evenings coming out of the city along Gt Western Rd, to simply reduce the lengthy queuing encountered at these lights.

For some people it may mean an extra mile on their journey, but it should mean that traffic flows very freely in and out of the south of the city and therefore significantly reducing congestion, average journey times and of course pollution.

Thoughts ?
Old 08 November 2002, 01:57 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Thoughts
Looks like you have done all the thinking John . Are you going to send it in to the Council and see what they say?

BTW only ever been to Aberdeen when I was younger for windusrfing comps so don't really have a clue where you are taking about, sorry

Amanda
Old 08 November 2002, 02:09 PM
JohnS

Wink

The council would no doubt want to turn three of the 2 to 5 lanes available into 24 hour bus lanes, with buses being able to travel in the opposite direction to the flow of traffic as well. They would also want to put speed humps on the bits of road that the cars drive along
Old 08 November 2002, 02:15 PM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

Blimey John,

I'd need to draw all that lot out on a map I think, won't be popular if I scribble on the one at work. It's a lot to take in on first reading

Fortunately I'm hardly ever on those roads during rush hour now, but any improvements would be very welcome.

When you get a few minutes, can you sort out the Westhill road

Cheers,

Mike.

Old 08 November 2002, 03:00 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Woah ! ... John !

Don't have time to properly read / digest right now but on the surface looks great.

I'll have a detailed look later and let you know.

... or perhaps you'd prefer to present the proposal to me in the rub-a-dub-dub around five ?
Old 08 November 2002, 03:00 PM
JohnS

Mike,

just think of it as a big square roundabout, along Riverside Drive and Gt Southern Road (other side of the river where Goals is). No traffic lights, and nowhere for the traffic to stop (or slow down for much)

Westhill Road - a bit trickier, as there a couple of roundabouts with crossing traffic flows.

At the Kingswells roundabout, you really need a lane going straight ahead from Westhills towards the city, without any stops. The only way to get this without building an underpass, is to get rid of the roundabout completely, and have a straight section of dual carriageway, in and out of the city, woth options to turn left into Kingswells or Cults in a filter lane (no stopping). Traffic coming from Cults would have to turn left in a filter lane (no stops), and then do a U turn at a new roundabout (with no other joining roads) further out toward Westhill. This way one lane of the dual carriageway in each direction could effectively bypass the roundabout, and not get held up at all.

A similar arrangement would also be needed coming from the Kingswells side, probably midway between the roundabout and the next one (right to Queens road, of left to Lang Stracht), so that only traffic wanting to do a U turn would need to use the roundabout.

The next roundabout down is a bit more tricky. The left hand filter lane from Kingswell to Lang Stracht is easy enough, but there's a fair bit of traffic coming out the Lang Stracht which needs to turn right out towards Kingswells, which blocks the majority of traffic coming into town (or more likely the traffic coming into the city during the evening, stops the traffic wanting to get out).

Here you would need to consider getting rid of the roundabout altogether, and replacing it with a Y junction. Traffic coming out the Lang Stracht would need to go via an underpass, and then filter in with the traffic coming out of the city via Queens Rd. Anything wanting to come out Queens Rd, and turn right onto the Lang Stracht (probably less than one in a hundred), would need to carry straight on, and then do a U turn at the new "turning" roundabout described above, midway between the new Y junction and what used to be the Kingswells roundabout.

You then have a similar (but bigger problem) at the Hazlehead roundabout. Here you have probably as much traffic wanting to come out Queens Rd and turn right towards Anderson Drive, as you do wanting to come in from Kingswells and go along Queens Road. This I believe is the main "blockage" for the flow of traffic, which over a period of time in the morning tails back and eventually causes more problems further back. You also have loads of traffic coming from Anderson Drive, wanting to turn right here out towards Kingswells. I'll need to give this one a bit more thought...
Old 08 November 2002, 03:03 PM
JohnS

Question

Numptie,

would have to be very quick, and at 5pm sharp, as I need to be home for 5:45pm tonight. Venue ?

John
Old 08 November 2002, 03:10 PM
JohnS

Lightbulb

Mike,

if you send me your works email address, then I'll e-mail you an almost A4 sized map of the area which you can scribble on. It's what I used to come up with the idea

John
Old 08 November 2002, 03:12 PM
Corpulent Tosser
Scooby Regular

Talking

Regardless of what the council think, we should give it a go on a trial basis.

Old 08 November 2002, 03:20 PM
JohnS

Talking

CT - OK you first to try going the wrong way down the filter lane onto the Bridge of Dee
Old 08 November 2002, 04:21 PM
aar
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Trying to persuade the cooncil to do anything sensible will never succeed. Sorry to dampen enthusiasm but the local, and national, authorities do not listen to outside advice or expertise.

I worked 10-12 years ago on a development for a superstore on the present Sainsburys/B+Q site and there was a proposal then to build a bridge across the Dee which was to be linked to a road to the west of this site. This then joined to a dual carriageway along Garthdee Road to the end of Anderson Drive. The cooncil then were very restrictive with traffic/parking/road layouts but we got Planning Approval after bending backwards to accommodate. Years later the cooncil changed their minds and have let chaos reign on Garthdee Road. Pressure from motorists or from big multiples....??

And try arguing with the Scottish Executive roads guys..... They blatently bend figures and arguments and are greater than all of us.

BTW, the one small flaw in your theory may be the weight limitations of the Bridge of Dee.
Old 08 November 2002, 04:44 PM
JohnS

aar,

have thought about the weight limitations on the Bridge of Dee for HGVs coming into the city. They simply get diverted over the flyover a few miles earlier, and down through Tullos.

Agreed it will be awkward if they are headed for the Garthdee area, as they'll need to take a bit of a detour to get there, but this should only be a very small percentage of the HGV traffic coming into the city. if it does prove too much of a problem, then the shops there could share in the cost of providing a new bridge suitable for such traffic at another point, possibly between the two existing bridges, and opposite the road joining Riversiode Drive to Holburn Street.

John
Old 08 November 2002, 05:03 PM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

Well done that man! I took a while to read through this (some bits twice cos I couldn't get my late friday afternoon head round it!) but I think it is a winner. However, getting the council to understand it, let alone put it into practice will be a hard task!!

If Garthdee could be more free flowing than it currently is then it has to be a winner.

And I don't drive a HGV so it doesn't bother me []

Mike
Old 08 November 2002, 07:26 PM
Abzdon
Scooby Regular

Smile

Wow, must be the biggest post I have ever seen !

Sounds the buisness, but the council will never go for anything that works, they are more into closing roads to increase jams than lessening them.

Anyhow, any ideas for the Haudigan roudabout area as that's the bit I use every morning

Duncan..
Old 08 November 2002, 08:15 PM
Dougster.
Scooby Regular

Sad.

Buy a bike.
Old 09 November 2002, 07:39 AM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dougster

You would be alright with your ambulance just turn on the siren and the roof lights and the cars would open up like the parting of the Red sea.
NEE NAW NEE NAW

LOL

Craig Mac
Old 09 November 2002, 10:54 AM
Dougster.
Scooby Regular

My solution to traffic congestion.

Old 09 November 2002, 11:55 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Wink

Go John Stuart, Go.

Most impressive posting I have seem for a long time and see no reason why it wouldn't work, other than the obvious local council!

Lot of congestion in the middle of Inverurie right now; fancy a trip out to sort the place out.

Jools
(DK)
Old 09 November 2002, 02:01 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Totally brilliant idea John, getting to Asda would be so much more simple. Run it past some of the ***** in office and see what comes of it.

Oh, and while you're on a roll, sort out the Kingwells pheriferal route for those arseholes as well. WE NEED LEADERSHIP LIKE THIS IN THE COUNCIL - WHY DON'T YOU RUN FOR OFFICE?

Russell
Old 09 November 2002, 03:13 PM
Si James
Scooby Regular

Here here, I am for what Councellor Stewart says!

Si
Old 10 November 2002, 07:20 AM
JohnS

Me - a councillor ? Never, I'm too honest

Will forward the idea onto the council, and see how long it takes for them to reject it.
Old 10 November 2002, 07:52 AM
Si James
Scooby Regular

These are the wan*ers who built the Kingswells park and ride.

They have obviously never seen the constant stream of Mercs, Porches, and Bemers go into Aberdeen every morning, not the sort of people who would ever use a park and ride. Its millions down the plug hole, and now they are going to do the same on the Tyrebagger.

a-holes.

Si
Old 10 November 2002, 01:00 PM
ALY
Scooby Newbie

That post is far too long and has too many big words to be considered by the council (I work for a local authority, I know!).

Why not save the hassle and have a ban a make day every weekday,

Mondays, no VW's or Pug's
Tuesdays, no Renaults or Vauxhalls
Wednesday, no Hondas or Rovers
Thursays, no BMW's or Mercs
Fridays, no Citroens or Scoobys

Every day, no Vans, Trucks, cyclists, Mopeds, coaches etc...

In fact, no standard cars on the road ever! Alloys and suspension must be aftermarket before you can take your car on the public highway. I can see Prescott now in his slammed Jag(s) with blacked out windows,neons and chrome 20" wheels...
Old 11 November 2002, 12:03 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Hmm, as a local resident to the area that John is talking about that sounds interesting. Don't think it would impinge too much.

BUT, try commuting to Dyce - that SUCKS big time. There is no sneaky to get there quicker, Anderson Drive, Haudagain (sp?) roundabout and then a 20min wait. At least coming back to via Kingwells and Cults is a bit quicker.

I'll keep an eye for the Anderson Drive'r's - about 7.30am for me!
Old 11 November 2002, 07:52 PM
tut
Scooby Regular

Thank **** I am retired(BG)

tut

ps Very impressive though John, just wish you were in charge of it.
Old 13 November 2002, 09:58 AM
JohnS

Red face

The council's reply:

"Having been involved in assessing the problems and possible
solutions for the Bridge of Dee for around a decade I can assure
you that your proposal has been previously considered and
discarded. The level of congestion, delay and overall vehicular
distance travelled is considerably greater than that currently experienced.

The Council are working with the Scottish Executive at present in assessing further planning applications in the Garthdee area to see if further development can be accomodated and if so what requires to be done to the network. However as you're probably aware the Council does not consider that improving the Bridge of Dee is a long term option and is pursuing the development of a Western Peripheral Route as an alternative partof an overall transport strategy. Details of the Strategy are available on the Council's web-site."
Old 14 November 2002, 02:23 PM
Lambchop
Scooby Regular

kin ell john lol

now heres another for ya and this wont be easy...solve probs to the north nxt.BOD is a fookin nightmare.when grandholme bridge shut everything just went pete tong.the BOD and persley bridge are chocca block and no other way to cross the river!

help me get to uni quicker in the mornin pls

chop