Notices

Bullet Camera Stills from Knockhill 28th Sep

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2002, 03:42 PM
skyenet
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finished editing stills from the Bullet Camera video on the rear of my car and have uploaded images to the following link

Knockhill Bullet Camera Stills

If anybody wants a higher res version of any of the images just let me know the filename and I will arrange it. The camera has a resolution similar to S-Video so not quite Digital Video quality. Used to use my Camcorder on the rear but the tripod bush fractured, plus a few screws vibrated out. Some good cat and mouse chases on video as well. Great day and looking forward to the November track session.

Still to go through the VHS stuff from the Helmet Camera but that will be a while yet as I have need to get space on DV tapes first before I can get the stuff onto the PC for editing.

Iain
Old 02 October 2002, 10:24 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Good pix as always Iain
What kinda setup r u using in the way of cameras on the car ?

Pete
Old 03 October 2002, 12:05 AM
skyenet
Scooby Regular

Pete

Internally I have a small security type camera wired up to a VHS player/recorder with a mike behind the seat. Quality is okay for watching video but not so brillaint for stills. One advantage of VHS is that you can use 4 hour tapes which is a bit better than 1 hour DV tapes. Because of the wide field of view it captures all the drivers/passenger movements as well as surrounding cars and is good for getting a feel of what it feels like out on track. The VHS player/recorder runs from 12v/240v and mounts just above the passengers feet. When not recording stuff on track it doubles as a player for Tweanies etc to keep my daughter, Skye, amused.

On the external suction mount over the driver's rear wheel I had been using a Panasonic Camcorder and was very pleased with the results I got. However after about six Kames/Knockhill sessions it eventually separated from its mounting during rather spirited driving around Crail's figure of eight circuit. The tripod bush actaully fractured. When I lokked closely at it I noticed that it was also minus a few screws. Just as well I had taken the precaution of attaching it by bungee chords just in case of a mishap. Probably worth checking screws on camcorders every now and again.

Now using a bullet camera wired to a Camcorder with AV in. The unit uses a Sony High res 480 TVL 1/3" Color CCD chip set with an effective resolution of PAL: 752(H)X582(V). Its not as good quality as using a DV camcorder but is better than VHS so while the Stills are okay, the video is good. This is the same camera I mounted in my front grill when I got some of the low, on-track shots of cars. I used it for the picture in picture video I did at Knockhill a few sessions ago. All being well I hope to make it to the November session and will probably mount the suction mounted camera towards the front of the Elise as a couple of people have asked me if they could get some video of their laps around Knockhill to study lines, braking points etc.

My latest camera is a small security type camera I have attached to my helmet. I had it wired up to feed into the VHS and it seems to have worked well. Not had much chance to look through the video yet though. Quality is pretty low though so better for Video than stills.

So far most of the editing I have doen is just to extract stills. Over the winter months I hope to get more time to go through all the stuff I have and edit it into short video clips. It is so time consuming and I have to do most of it once Skye falls asleep.

Iain
Old 03 October 2002, 12:07 AM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Smile

Skye is a bonnie wee girl. Her curls are so cute.

AJx