Notices

An oldie - where can I get SUL?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2002, 07:44 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off for a week based near Sheildaig. I know I can get SUL at Beauly, Ullapool, Broadford(Skye), Inverness and Fort William...but is there anywhere else on the mainland closer to Shieldaig I can get it? (Imagine a curve from Fort William to Ullapool - anywhere else inside that?)
Thanks very much
Chuck (Very thirsty 22B LOL)
Old 14 August 2002, 09:03 AM
JohnS

Chuck,

having recently spent a week near Shieldaig in my STi (SUL only), I can confirm that the closest place with SUL (without having to cross the bridge to Skye) is Contin, a few miles out of Inverness. It's not much difference to go to Ullapool, which is a more enjoyable road. However, it was 85.9p per litre at both places.

Both are Shell stations, but weren't selling Optimax, and nor were they running the Shell pluspoints scheme.

There's a BP At Conon Bridge (just a few miles north of Inverness) as well which also sells SUL.

Just do what I did, and take a couple of bottle of Octane Booster with you, and if you are running low on fuel, just stick in £5 of NUL at Achnasheen, a bottle of Octane booster, and then a gentle cruise to Contin. Alternatively, after 8pm in the evening, the roads are generally very quiet and you can go out for a blast, drive somewhere to get your SUL, and then drive back again

BTW if going to Skye a few times, then you can buy a book of tickets for about £25 from a place not far from the bridge which will save quite a bit on the crossings. It would also be great fun driving over the Strathcarron road there and back.

John
Old 14 August 2002, 09:39 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Thanks John - we usually base at Inverness so I know that area well - funny how the Shell in front of the Scoob garage in Beauly has Optimax LOL
Looking forward to the driving - will be going to the Applecross Inn a few evenings I suspect (love the pass).
I've always got a bootfull of Millers, but my car doesn't like regular SUL without booster, nevermind NUL - still worst case is, as you've said, a nice evening scoot across to Skye or Inverness
C