ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

more than its worth??

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2014, 08:41 PM
sean999
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more than its worth??

I've recently been looking at peoples cars on here, in particular classics and it got me wondering??

how many of you have invested far more money into your car than it will ever be worth?

by this I don't mean, example someone who has spent thousands on various mods, knowing that if worst comes to the worst they're going to make of pot load of money selling stuff, like aftermarket wheels, stainless exhausts etc, but more to the point of spending in areas where you're never going to get money back, eg paint and body work.

im not knocking classics, I have one myself and there are some really smart looking uk spec cars out there, yet I've picked up on a few comments made of various threads that uk spec are not worth anything, jap spec is always more sort after, or newage are far better.

I don't see it like a business investment where you have to constantly decide on what is financially viable. in a way this is hobby, more so if you are fortunate enough to have it as a toy and not a daily driver.

so your thoughts please and just how much more have you spent on your car past what its realistically worth?
Old 08 March 2014, 09:09 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends what it's worth to its owner. We all value our cars at different monies!
Old 08 March 2014, 09:14 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Build it, use it, break it It's the only way
Old 08 March 2014, 09:16 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sean999
I've recently been looking at peoples cars on here, in particular classics and it got me wondering??

how many of you have invested far more money into your car than it will ever be worth?

by this I don't mean, example someone who has spent thousands on various mods, knowing that if worst comes to the worst they're going to make of pot load of money selling stuff, like aftermarket wheels, stainless exhausts etc, but more to the point of spending in areas where you're never going to get money back, eg paint and body work.

im not knocking classics, I have one myself and there are some really smart looking uk spec cars out there, yet I've picked up on a few comments made of various threads that uk spec are not worth anything, jap spec is always more sort after, or newage are far better.

I don't see it like a business investment where you have to constantly decide on what is financially viable. in a way this is hobby, more so if you are fortunate enough to have it as a toy and not a daily driver.

so your thoughts please and just how much more have you spent on your car past what its realistically worth?
Modifying cars is a complete money pit, you will always lose out financially.

I spent around £20k on my Mk2 Golf over six years of ownership, I had a great time, learnt so much about cars and mechanics, made some great friends, had some great times. I sold it for £5k after getting into an Impreza and realising a standard Type R STI was far more the car than the Golf was. But have I had as much fun? Yes in terms of driving, No, in terms of experiences.

So, do I regret spending that sort of money? Yes because the left side of brain screams 'dude imagine what you could done with that!), but the right side is like, they where some great years.

So really, its about what you get out of something that lives inside you. Financially economical? No, but niether is sky diving, that cost me thousands to get a licence, but it was the best waste of cash ever.

But I did learn with the Impreza - I saved and bought the better models, Type R and JDM Newage instead of boggo UK ones I would spend more on tuning, but If I had a bigger income would I spend more on it? God yes, in a heart beat. Nothing makes me happier than a country road blast early on a Sunday morning.
Old 08 March 2014, 10:04 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

If people only ever bought cars using their head, nobody would ever buy an Impreza.

That pretty much answers your entire post.

Old 09 March 2014, 10:04 AM
kirky1
Scooby Regular

ive spent more time and hard work on mine than money