ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Am i just unlucky :-(

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2014, 10:53 PM
observer666
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i just unlucky :-(

Hi guys I just wanted to share a tale of ongoing troubles with my 2001 bug eye wrx, and ask am I just unlucky?Please bear with me its a lengthy first post lol

I bought my very first Scooby on the 11th of Feb this year, after always wanting one and lusting after one for years. I picked up a very clean one off a member of scoobynet, who assured me it had nothing wrong with it and was an excellent car, the test drive went well, he demonstrated the launch control (which scared the s**t out of me :-) ) although he did miss 2nd and burnt the clutch but it didn't slip at the time I also queried what I thought wasa whine in first but not knowing scoobys very well was told it was normal so I bought it, it had had quite a few engine mods done to it sti intercooler, vf35 turbo, pink injectors and antilag and remap. so off I drove home with a big smile on my face.

3 days later I set off from a set of traffic lights and Bang no first gear, bugger I thought so I booked it in at Cams Performance and Brian and the crew fitted another gearbox and a new clutch, while it was in I asked him to have a look over it to see if it was needing anything else...... it did it needed shockers all round due to rusted mounts the from "U" subframe was rusted through, the front crossmember was rotten, a rear brake pipe across the back was rotten, both rocker gaskets were leaking badly and the top hose had been rubbing on the alternator belt, so I booked it in again this Monday and had the majority of the work done, not entirely happy but thinking it is a 13 year old car it would need some stuff doing to it so I was happy to get the old girl back to how she should be. I also found out it had dual maps as well as antilag and the switch the previous owner thought was for launch control was the dual map one lol
I picked it up last night and drove it home happy once again, I went out last smiling until late last night I noticed a tapping noise from the engine, which later developed into a rattle and a big end knock, so now its back in the garage awaiting a new engine due to big end gone. Even though according to a post put on here in December it had new engine fitted then.
So my big question is Am I just unlucky and have done all the things that are prone to going on scoobies in one fowl swoop or can I expect more pain, I love this car even though ive only had it basically 3 weeks and 2 of them its been in Cams, who might I say are a top set of blokes and having used them would not trust anybody else, to do the work on my car
Thanks for you time reading this and thanks in advance for your comments
Paul
Old 07 March 2014, 11:00 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Lauching a car hard will always kill clutches and gearboxes. If you take the engine to the limit it won't do it any good.

Bit of both bad luck and new owner misunderstanding I'd say. Hopefully when all repaired you'll be able to enjoy it.

Welcome to scoobybet.
Old 07 March 2014, 11:08 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone demonstrated launch control to me on a test drive I would walk away! The car has been driven hard and as a result it's starting to fail to due excessive wear & tear

Modified cars are always closer to the limit than standard cars, it's why manufacturers don't push it too far when looking for power because of warranty claims and the like. If you look after them correctly they will be reliable but they do require more maintenance.
Old 07 March 2014, 11:08 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by observer666
...who assured me it had nothing wrong with it and was an excellent car, the test drive went well, he demonstrated the launch control
You should walk the moment someone talks enthusiastically about launching the car, and should have walked after the **** demonstrated it.

although he did miss 2nd and burnt the clutch
Further evidence that it's been driven very badly by the bellend whilst in his care...

. I also queried what I thought wasa whine in first but not knowing scoobys very well was told it was normal so I bought it
So you got the worried feeling but still went ahead?

so I booked it in at Cams Performance
First sensible thing you've done so far

it did it needed shockers all round due to rusted mounts the from "U" subframe was rusted through, the front crossmember was rotten, a rear brake pipe across the back was rotten, both rocker gaskets were leaking badly and the top hose had been rubbing on the alternator belt, so I booked it in again this Monday and had the majority of the work done
... so far this car owes you a lot

I noticed a tapping noise from the engine, which later developed into a rattle and a big end knock, so now its back in the garage awaiting a new engine due to big end gone. Even though according to a post put on here in December it had new engine fitted then
So the choice is to either move on or throw even more money at the dog?

So my big question is Am I just unlucky
No you went in blind and against your better judgement have been bitten well and truly!

can I expect more pain
Yes

Options mate

1. Put a new engine in and hope that the car doesn't mess up on you again
2. Sell it to a trader or breaker
3. Break it yourself and attempt to recoup as much of your losses as possible

Whatever you do, consider this a learning exercise. Badly maintained teenage performance car = bad experience. If you buy a performance car again make sure you do your homework on it, as it'll be much less likely to shaft you.

I am genuinely sorry to hear your story by the way, it's not a nice one to read. You can always ask about a car on somewhere like here before buying, rather than one member.
Old 07 March 2014, 11:19 PM
observer666
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys TheNewGalaxy you are totally right on all you have said mate to make things worse im 46 and was a mechanic for 20 odd of them the guy I got it off was a genuine Subaru enthusiast and I don't really go in for slagging people off but having found his posts on here ive learned a few things lol, I really did let my heart rule my head on this one but im going to get it sorted and then enjoy it, shes mint apart from all the mechanical stuff but im going to keep her for a long time and brian and the crew can sort her out im sure :-).
Brownpantsracer I never use the launch control because of that exact reason stress on gearbox and clutches etc
I think basically the C..i mean person who I got it off did al the right things to it at the wrong time and should have made sure it was up to what he was putting it through, but like I said once its done im sure itll be a good un lol....well it should be :-)
Thanks again guys just wanted to share my joy and pain thus far ill keep posted when I get her back
Old 07 March 2014, 11:27 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You're in good hands with Brian at CAMS, awesome person and a great mechanic to boot. I trust him implicitly with all three of my cars.

If you keep the car get in with LADSoc, the local Subaru club in Lancs. Would be good to see the car once she's fixed.

Anti lag and launch control are great in controlled situations but absolutely **** engines.
Old 07 March 2014, 11:42 PM
observer666
Scooby Newbie

yeah im in ladsoc already :-) yeah Brian is a top bloke hes doing the engine for me hes got a good bottom end and putting my heads etc on it, I have used the antilag once for about a minute when I first got it and it scared me with all the popping lol so ive never used it since, I intend to go to the meetings if its out of the garage long enough haha
cheers matey
Old 08 March 2014, 12:45 AM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

As new galaxy said....when someone drives a car like that when there trying to sell it, imagine how they abuse it everyday!

Should have used your common sense and listened to your brain and not your heart....with so many Imprezas available walking away is easy to do!

But hopefully you will end up with a decent yet expensive Impreza
Old 08 March 2014, 09:31 AM
observer666
Scooby Newbie

Absolutely Jamie I totally agree I think I was taken in by the way it felt to drive at the time mate, although in all my years of buying cars ive never had all this happen to me in such a short time, yep its going to be an expensive but bang on Scooby when its finished....but at least the bodys mint and interior and now gearbox suspension and soon engine haha :-)
Old 08 March 2014, 09:51 AM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

Well that's the way to look at it....basically will be a spot on scoob and you will know everything that's been done to it
Old 08 March 2014, 10:10 AM
observer666
Scooby Newbie

yep that's what I keep telling myself haha
Oh im liking your bugeye by the way very nice indeed :-)
Old 14 March 2014, 10:20 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Please get the map checked....

dunx

P.S. Also hide the switch and forget it !