Sponsored by:

Bumpsteer removal in the Southeast/Kent area

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2001, 02:50 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I know this post was done a while ago………. But..

If you could get Bumpsteer removed in the Southeast, would you have it done…………….?

James
Old 03 May 2001, 03:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

James,
As you said, was done a while back. conclusion was that there might be places down sarf to do it, but it'd be best to get it done up at powerstation.

Maybe once the damge on the beast is sorted I'll get it done.
Old 03 May 2001, 03:18 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

I've been told by a couple of people that it's a relatively easy operation and if they only charge £100 then that must be the case...?

J
Old 03 May 2001, 03:31 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

James,

Speak to Phil at Barretts Motorsport 01227 864537 for some exciting geometry settings

Nito
Old 03 May 2001, 03:32 PM
scoobs
Scooby Regular

James

I have had the bumpsteer mod done. To be honest £100 is far to cheap for the work, and improvement it makes to the car's handling. You need expensive measuring equipment and a very skilled person to use it, as well as the extra bits they add to the car to remove the bump steer. The fact is not many people are willing to invest in the equipment, hence know one else does it.

Powerstation know what they are doing, they got my bumpsteer down to ZERO degrees. I would say it's worth £100 + the cost of petrol to drive there (IMHO).

Scoobs

Old 03 May 2001, 03:55 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

ok...

if someone was prepared to invest in the correct equipment, etc and relavent parts that were required which is obvoius anyway...

I wasn't goint to do it myself!!

Would there be a valid interest....?

J
Old 03 May 2001, 04:00 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

i think that there would be sufficent interest, it's just persuading the right company to invest in the equipment, that's the hard part.
Old 03 May 2001, 04:09 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Errr but that Sun wheel alignment stuff costs a fortune does it not ? £50,000 was a figure I have heard (so it's probably wrong, but considering a snapon Screwdriver can cost £45 could be)

Thats an awful lot of £100 bump steer mods.
Old 03 May 2001, 04:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Gary,
My point exactly, not many places will shell out that amount of cash, but then I guess the equipment can be used for other purposes as well as bumpsteer removal, so it might be of benefit to the company.

james:
you thinking of asking Graham @ GDA if he'd get the equipment be nice and handy for us mate!
Old 03 May 2001, 04:27 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

James,

Barretts already have this mega accurate equipment (accurate to within 1/1000 of a mm or something equally ridiculous), and they give you a full before and after printout which even has a picture of the wheels on it. v.smart!

Old 03 May 2001, 04:40 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Hi James

Just a hunch but i bet a lot of the improvement owners feel from the much vaunted BS mod is actually just having the geometry set properly, as Scoobs are notoriously sensitive to it, rather than the actual "bumpsteer" mod.

In any case, i don't see how you can fully remove bumpsteer as the steering arm MUST effect the toe-in when the suspension is compressed - i'd say that what PS are doing is moving the limit of the bumpsteer, so that it happens later on in the suspension travel, and therefore feels less pronounced.

Get Phil at Barretts to set up your car, it made a HUGE difference to my understeering dog of a car, which is really sharp now.

Regards

Russ
Old 03 May 2001, 04:41 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Question

Barretts? Where are they please I was about to travel to Cheltenhanm to have it done. Are the results as Power Station??

Bumpsteer removal with the 4 wheel relinment for £117 all in. I was quoted whats there price plesae?

..Ian (very interested)

Old 03 May 2001, 04:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ian,
I believe barrets are in Canterbury.

One question, I believe they are a UK dealer and as such would not touch the blackbeast as it's a jap import, so would they still do this for me?

How much from them, to do bumpsteer mod?
Old 03 May 2001, 04:56 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

So they won't touch my very heavily modded STI 5 then??

..BUGGER!!!
Old 03 May 2001, 05:00 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RussP:
<B>
In any case, i don't see how you can fully remove bumpsteer as the steering arm MUST effect the toe-in when the suspension is compressed - i'd say that what PS are doing is moving the limit of the bumpsteer, so that it happens later on in the suspension travel, and therefore feels less pronounced.

Regards

Russ[/quote]

Russ,

No, the bump steer mod actually reduces (or in some cases totally removes it). That includes toe-in/out on full compression and full extension of the suspension. If certain parts of the suspension are all parallel, then you don't get bump steer.

As for other places doing it ? Well, I have always said, any place with very accurate equipment, the ability to measure bump steer and with people who 'really' understand suspension geometry, there should be no problems doing this mod.

If you do go somewhere other than Powerstation, then do make sure they really do know what they are doing for the two reasons of a) really doing the mod so if transforms the car and b) safety.

Cheers

Ian
Old 03 May 2001, 05:18 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Barretts do Sti servicing thru the motorsports dept - ie the same team that mend David Higgins Rally Car.... so the credentials are pretty good!

Ian,

but surely, thru the design of any rack and pinion steering system, there MUST be bumpsteer, ie the distance from the mounting point on the strut to the steering rack must lengthen or shorten as the suspension compresses.

Thats why i reckon that all that is happening is the parameters are being changed. Most people on driving a properly sorted scoob with the geometry set correctly will feel a huge improvement over standard, that's why i wonder how much of the improvements are due to the actual lowering of the rack.

Rus
Old 03 May 2001, 05:20 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Oh, forgot to say, that Barretts won't do the bumpsteer mod, just a very accurate geometry set.

Mail me if you want the number!

Russ
Old 03 May 2001, 05:25 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Russ,

Not 100% to be honest, I'm no real suspension expert. But I have seen a Scooby with zero bumpsteer having it measured through the range of full suspension travel.

No idea, ask me one on sport

Cheers

Ian
Old 03 May 2001, 05:34 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Okay.

I got talked into going to a football match on tuesday. My question is this....

WHY IS FOOTBALL SO BLOODY BORING?

Rus
Old 03 May 2001, 05:49 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Question

Scuse my ignorance but whats Bumpsteer? Understand the fix is some kind of suspension tweak but whats it all about???

Do MY01's benefit as their steering and handling is better by all acounts anyway.
Old 03 May 2001, 05:57 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RussP:
<B> My question is this....

WHY IS FOOTBALL SO BLOODY BORING?

Rus[/quote]

Whoa, Russ, don't go there, we don't want a holy war here

(I do agree though, football is the dumbest game ever, why don't they all aim at one goal, save running about etc.)

DT,

Bump steer is the tendency for the wheels to toe-in/out under suspension compression/extension. This causes understeer. Remove it and the car turns in better and becomes more stable.

Whether the MY01 needs it ? No ides, maybe talk to Powerstation and see if they have measured one yet ?

Cheers

Ian

Old 03 May 2001, 06:03 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

It's all a matter of getting the steering arm linear with the lower suspension arm.
Then suspension movement won't affect steering input.

This is often played with in R/C...something I've dabbled a wee bit in.

Nothing fancy really, the trick is to get it right.

Which is a whole other story...