Sponsored by:

Pulling My Plonker?

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2014, 09:48 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling My Plonker?

hi,one of my cars is up for sale at the moment on autotrader,today at around lunchtime I received a text message saying "hi,is your car posted on autotrader still for sale?whats its condition/final price? please reply only to my email" and then puts he email addresss.

so I then sent him an email saying....."hi,reference to the text message you sent me,yes the car is still for sale,its in excellent condition.if you are genuinely interested then call me.thanks"

I then got a reply to that email (no phonecall though lol) saying.....
"Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response. I am ready to buy it now as a birthday gift for my brother-in-law. I am at the sea at the moment as I am a marine engineer, due to the nature of my work, phone calls and use of the internet is restricted but I have managed to squeeze out time to check your advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise package for my brother-in-law so I won't let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I insist on PayPal as my mode of payment because I don't have access to my bank account online and also, I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my PayPal account. I have my bank account attached to my PayPal account, so I will need you to get back to me with your PayPal email address and your final price as I am not good at offering so I can make the payment for the car asap. Please if you don't have a PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, log on to www.paypal.com and get it set up. After you have set it up, I will only need the e-mail address you used for the registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a shipper that will come and pick up the car after I must have made the payment for the car and funds available in your account.!

anyone ever had anything like this? its got SCAM wrote all over it imo,but would appreciate other opinions.
thanks in advance.
Old 19 February 2014, 09:52 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Is this a wind up or have you been doing a Rip Van Winkle?!
Old 19 February 2014, 09:53 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've had to stop and think about it so I think you already know lol.

Mick
Old 19 February 2014, 10:00 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti
You've had to stop and think about it so I think you already know lol.

Mick
see what concerns me,lets say its genuine,but he makes a payment of around 7k via paypal,im pretty sure paypal payments can be reversed or cancelled etc? anyone know? so I withdraw the funds,the car gets collected and a couple days later I get email from paypal saying I owe them 7k? lol
Old 19 February 2014, 10:01 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Is this a wind up or have you been doing a Rip Van Winkle?!
lol,no its not a wind up.
Old 19 February 2014, 10:03 PM
adam22b
Scooby Regular

Hi i had a similar thing with a guy called john finlay looked up the scam then strung him on for a while just for a laugh ....
Old 19 February 2014, 10:05 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

Thats literally what I got when I put my hawk up for sale, I made the mistake of putting my email address up on the auto trader add though!

got about two emails a day saying i'm an offshore engineer, in the military, present for my grandmas dogs birthday etc. All wanting to pay through paypal or requesting my paypal details, then getting a friend to pick it up or arranging transport for the car thereafter.

all scams, I do wonder if its someone's full time job in Nigeria to sit there sending these scam emails off and getting in touch with sellers!
Old 19 February 2014, 10:07 PM
adam22b
Scooby Regular

and he would only contact with email said he worked on rigs i did loads of reading and it was i big scam there is nothing you can do as the police didnot want to know all the web sites i visited said the longer you string them on then the better..
Old 19 February 2014, 10:12 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

thanks guys,as I thought.
Old 19 February 2014, 10:15 PM
McFartenplop
Scooby Regular

Its a scam. Once you give them your email address you'll get a fake Paypal email saying you have pending funds.

Always makes me laugh ...........

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...o-do-next.html
Old 19 February 2014, 10:18 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

f*****g c***s!
Old 20 February 2014, 10:17 AM
grey_boy
Scooby Regular

Take payment, wait for driver to collect.... then go with him to the owner! Then you can get a signed receipt or kick his v4gina
It is a scam...so why not join the club

Last edited by grey_boy; 20 February 2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 20 February 2014, 10:24 AM
JaptechSmokey
Scooby Regular

paypal payments can only be reversed or reclaimed if a dispute is opened and you are proven to be in the wrong. technically, if you get the collector of the car to go through a check that the car is running and there is no damage to the car that you have not described to the buyer (off shore underwater rock gardener) and get signed proof then there is no way paypal can take the money off you. Even if paypal dont receive the money off the buyer then they still have to ensure your money is not touched and lets face it who doesnt want to rip paypal off the robbing b******s
Old 20 February 2014, 10:41 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Cant you get the funds sent via gift
Old 20 February 2014, 12:31 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JaptechSmokey
paypal payments can only be reversed or reclaimed if a dispute is opened and you are proven to be in the wrong. technically, if you get the collector of the car to go through a check that the car is running and there is no damage to the car that you have not described to the buyer (off shore underwater rock gardener) and get signed proof then there is no way paypal can take the money off you. Even if paypal dont receive the money off the buyer then they still have to ensure your money is not touched and lets face it who doesnt want to rip paypal off the robbing b******s
hahaha 'offshore underwater rock gardener'

we joke but they are inventive with their careers/begging stories of buying the car for 'their wives best friends anniversary' etc. i'l give them that!

There is probably even a degree to be studied in the depths of Nigeria based around scamming!
Old 20 February 2014, 06:01 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

well this was my reply.....very brief...
"lol,nice one muppet!"
and guess what,he hasn't got back to me,he was so keen on the car aswell lol.
thanks for the comments.